GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,430
2 members and 2,428 guests
TLLK

Old 10-07-2020, 10:31 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaldo9 View Post
Great pic - love it!

Here's another fantastic one of Greeks mobilizing for civic engagement!

https://media.thetab.com/blogs.dir/9...845cbb6a39.jpg

Wonderful to see GLOs supporting all variety of candidates; as long as they vote that's all matters.
Kappa Alpha Order has a very problematic relationship with white supremacy. Their veneration of Confederate General Robert E. Lee hasn't aged well. That picture probably won't age well.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-07-2020, 11:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Kappa Alpha Order has a very problematic relationship with white supremacy.
True.

Though I think it's also true that many or most fraternities founded in the mid 19th century South have problematic historic relationships with white supremacy.
Old 10-08-2020, 10:20 AM
Super Moderator

While I would agree, my organization and others have problematic pasts, which I'm happy to get into elsewhere, not too many years ago, Kappa Alpha was still holding their "Old South" event where they all dressed up in their Confederate uniforms (what kind of person has that in their closet? Are they all Civil War reinactors?) and paraded around campus, in many cases making sure to stop for awhile in front of NPHC houses.

That's a sort of past an organization shouldn't just walk away from, but run.

Organizations with white supremacist pasts will raise legitimate questions when they align with white supremacists as an organization. That picture depicts what one would assume is the assent of the entire chapter to put up those sandbags and signage. It's not too hard to read between those lines.
Old 10-08-2020, 10:41 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
While I would agree, my organization and others have problematic pasts, which I'm happy to get into elsewhere, not too many years ago, Kappa Alpha was still holding their "Old South" event where they all dressed up in their Confederate uniforms (what kind of person has that in their closet? Are they all Civil War reinactors?) and paraded around campus, in many cases making sure to stop for awhile in front of NPHC houses.
The KA chapters I knew rented them from costume places. That's where the women got the Southern belle dresses too.
Old 10-08-2020, 11:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
There was a KA Order chapter at my (non-Southern) university in the early 2010s which did nothing like that. And, my understanding is it was banned nationally in 2016, meaning no one who is an undergraduate active today has ever participated in such an event, at least sanctioned, among the handful of chapters still practicing it by that date.

I'm hesitant to indict individual 18 and 19 year olds for actions taken by a group before the period of their membership.

If we're going to do that fairly, then there would be no arbitrary time limit imposed (whether 4 years or 140 years) and all individual members must be denounced for affiliation with such an organization regardless of how far back the violation occurred and regardless of what amends have been made in the interim. Arbitrary time limits are capricious and serve only as a scape goat that permits us to denounce others while declaring our own ethical perfection.
Old 10-08-2020, 11:18 AM
Super Moderator

Okay.
Old 10-08-2020, 05:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Overall, I thought Kamala Harris did a decent job tonight. My principal criticism is that I found it slightly distracting to see her making faces throughout the debate during the split screen and thought it came across as a bit unprofessional, in my opinion, but I would give her a solid B- grade. I was disappointed the Vice-President wasn't more energetic but he was in a tough spot. I'd give him a B+ overall.
Yes, the fly was more interesting then he was!
Old 10-08-2020, 07:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Back on topic.

"With 1,026 chapters and nearly 300,000 members, AKA is no small army. And it’s being reinforced by other members of the “Divine Nine” Black fraternities and sororities, with a total membership approaching 1 million, all working informally in their communities."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...-KqaQ7_uPxagMw
Old 10-08-2020, 11:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzgirl View Post
Back on topic.

"With 1,026 chapters and nearly 300,000 members, AKA is no small army. And it’s being reinforced by other members of the “Divine Nine” Black fraternities and sororities, with a total membership approaching 1 million, all working informally in their communities."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...-KqaQ7_uPxagMw
Meh. Mike Pence is a FIJI. I'm sure it'll all even out.

I also question this assertion the Wapo made without evidence:

Quote:
And it’s being reinforced by other members of the “Divine Nine” Black fraternities and sororities, with a total membership approaching 1 million, all working informally in their communities.
I strongly doubt that 100% of the Divine Nine are volunteering on the Biden campaign. Since only 8% of the U.S. population will either donate to, or volunteer on, a presidential election campaign - mobilizing 100% of a one million membership group would be the singularly largest accomplishment in the history of American political organizing and is simply beyond the limits of believability.

The reporter, Chelsea Jane, got the 2020 election beat after a couple years compiling box scores of San Diego Padres games as a junior reporter for MLB.com. If she'd quoted an expert source or provided data for her assertion that would be one thing, but she doesn't have the personal qualifications or journalistic pedigree that would give me any confidence in an unsourced assertion she made from her own independent analysis.
Old 10-09-2020, 09:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I also question this assertion the Wapo made without evidence:

I strongly doubt that 100% of the Divine Nine are volunteering on the Biden campaign. Since only 8% of the U.S. population will either donate to, or volunteer on, a presidential election campaign - mobilizing 100% of a one million membership group would be the singularly largest accomplishment in the history of American political organizing and is simply beyond the limits of believability.

The reporter, Chelsea Jane, got the 2020 election beat after a couple years compiling box scores of San Diego Padres games as a junior reporter for MLB.com. If she'd quoted an expert source or provided data for her assertion that would be one thing, but she doesn't have the personal qualifications or journalistic pedigree that would give me any confidence in an unsourced assertion she made from her own independent analysis.
The article never said that every single eligible member of a D9 fraternity or sorority would vote for Biden/Harris, so I'm not sure why again you're attempting to pour gasoline on a dumpster fire. And frankly I'm not even touching on your point where you trash talk the reporter. Go back to watching RT or fox news.
Old 10-09-2020, 09:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andthen View Post
The article never said that every single eligible member of a D9 fraternity or sorority would vote for Biden/Harris, so I'm not sure why again you're attempting to pour gasoline on a dumpster fire. And frankly I'm not even touching on your point where you trash talk the reporter. Go back to watching RT or fox news.
Or that FIJIs will vote for Trump because of Pence's affiliation.
His rhetoric is more OAN or Breitbart than Trump TV (Faux).
Old 10-09-2020, 10:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sister Havana
That's actually not what the sentence is saying. Look at it in context: the previous sentence is about the number of members of AKA. "With a total membership approaching 1 million, is a parenthetical. "All working informally in their communities" refers to "other members" at the beginning of the sentence, not the entire membership of the Divine Nine. The next paragraph is a quote from someone who is a member of another D9 group.

And so what if the reporter was formerly a sportswriter?
People in media change beats ALL THE TIME. Team beat writers (which she was for the Nationals for several years) are as in-depth on those beats as political writers, business writers, etc. are on their beats. Nice info cherry-picking.
Old 10-09-2020, 10:38 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzgirl View Post
Or that FIJIs will vote for Trump because of Pence's affiliation.
His rhetoric is more OAN or Breitbart than Trump TV (Faux).
If nothing else, the reports about Pence ratting out his house to the administration over kegs being stored in the house and then stating those kegs were house property rather than his own as was the custom.

He showed disloyalty to his house and threw them under the bus in order to take a job in the school's administration. I don't think that'll inspire the Greek vote.
Old 10-09-2020, 10:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
He showed disloyalty to his house and threw them under the bus in order to take a job in the school's administration. I don't think that'll inspire the Greek vote.
This seems to be an on-going pattern with Pence. Maybe the fly on his head was taking aim.
Old 10-09-2020, 01:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
The article never said that every single eligible member of a D9 fraternity or sorority would vote for Biden/Harris
Correct, it said 100% were working for Biden/Harris. See:

Quote:
And it’s being reinforced by other members of the “Divine Nine” Black fraternities and sororities, with a total membership approaching 1 million, all working informally in their communities.
all - (Meridian Dictionary) the whole number of; every one

Quote:
And frankly I'm not even touching on your point where you trash talk the reporter.
I'm not sure where you got I'm "trash talking" the reporter. I said the reporter, prior to her current stint, was a junior reporter for MLB.com covering the San Diego Padres. Which is true.