GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,192
2 members and 1,190 guests
3DGator, FSUZeta

Old 03-03-2012, 07:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APhi4Ever View Post
I couldn't say for sure. I know Alpha Phi has 23 collegiate chapters in California, all that are active, none are inactive, so state wise, we have the most collegiate presence there.
I kind of gathered Alpha Phi was strong in CA based on all the Bid Day photos and such. I wonder if Alpha Phi is also one of the most racially diverse sororities. They CA chapters in general seem to be quite diverse and with Alpha Phi having a strong presence there I could see that being the case.

Anyone can feel free to correct me if my musings are inaccurate.

My recruitment story: My sorority membership changed my life.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by melindawarren View Post
I was about to say something similar. SDT is a lot better known in NY than CA. In fact, we're the only chapter west of Texas.
Are you at USC? I seem to remember from recruitment threads that SDT is at USC so I'm guessing that is the case. Amazing there is only one chapter west of Texas!

My recruitment story: My sorority membership changed my life.
Old 03-03-2012, 08:05 PM
GreekChat Member

And Mississippi for Delta Gamma since we were founded there - have 3 chapters in the state....
Old 03-03-2012, 11:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psusue View Post
In terms of number of chapters I think Sigma has the most in Pennsylvania, if I'm not mistaken. I think some close seconds are Missouri, North Carolina, and Virginia. But I don't know if I would say that we have a 'stronghold' anywhere. But maybe that's just my perception.
AST also has A LOT of chapters in PA. I think nearly a third of our chapters are located in the state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriDeltaSallie View Post
Are you at USC? I seem to remember from recruitment threads that SDT is at USC so I'm guessing that is the case. Amazing there is only one chapter west of Texas!
AST has one chapter in California, one in Arizona, and one in Colorado. Otherwise, I don't think we have any west of Texas, either!

@~/~~~~
Old 03-03-2012, 11:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Based on a look at where our chapters are located and how many are in each state, California, Florida, Illinois, and Texas are pretty strong states for Tri Delta. Our chapters are fairly spread out, actually.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:45 PM
GreekChat Member

I've always seen Ohio as an Alpha Xi stronghold with 13 chapters here. I ditto the Theta strength in Texas and California.
Old 03-04-2012, 02:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriDeltaSallie View Post
I am! And I know, right? Crazy. Especially when you map out chapter locations and realize that EVERY SUNY (ok, I don't know what every SUNY is called, but it seems like at least 75%) has an SDT chapter. Totally east-heavy!

MelindaWarren aka Bellatrix Lestrange
Wanna follow me on Pinterest? PM me!
"It is our choices that show who we truly are, far more than our abilities."-Albus Dumbledore
Old 03-04-2012, 07:06 AM
GreekChat Member

ASA has huge presence and the strongest recruiting chapters in Virginia and surrounding.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:15 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZTAOnlytheBest View Post
From what I hear, Florida seems to be zeta's stronghold.
correct, along with south carolina, texas & georgia.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:42 AM
GreekChat Member

I've always thought of Alpha Xi as very strong in Ohio, but then a lot of the NPC sororities are well represented in Ohio just because of the Greek tradition at SOOOO many schools. We also seem to have a lot in West Virginia for no reason I can think of. And we have quite a few in New York, although most of those are smaller chapters. We seem to have focused on small techy schools lately regardless of region. I'd like to see us grow in the Southeast for a long term potential of growth in the SEC. But mostly I'd like to see us back at all 12 of the Big 10 schools. (It's 12 now, right?) We have been at all of them at one time or another.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:23 AM
GreekChat Member

KD is very strong in the South and the Midwest, with a decent number of chapters in California.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDCat View Post
KD is very strong in the South and the Midwest, with a decent number of chapters in California.
KD has 5 active chapters in CA with a new one to be colonized in fall. There are 4 inactive chapters.

DaffyKD
Old 03-04-2012, 12:45 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm not sure that any organizations really have a "stronghold" in CA based on TriDeltSallie's example of Chi Omega in Arkansas. There are a lot of organizations with many strong chapters in California, and you can't just compare 10 chapters in CA to 10 chapters in Georgia - the populations and number of universities are very different for those states. You really need to consider density vs. raw numbers.

ETA: For Example, Alpha Phi has 23 chapters in California (DG has 19, Theta and Gamma Phi each have 18, etc.). Now compare that to Phi Mu's 10 chapters in the state of Louisiana, when the next most prolific organizations have 4 chapters each.

Then you also have to take into consideration the prestige and size of the University, the strength/size/prestige of the overall Greek life at the University, and the strength of the chapter at that University. I think it's very misleading for us to look at a map and declare strongholds without really knowing the situation in that area.

Anyway, Greek life isn't the same in California as it is in the South. It's not as big a deal post-graduation, and which organization you were a member of will have very little influence on your career or social standing in your community (aside from the obvious alumnae connections and leadership skills developed, but that's different from influence/reputation based soley on WHICH organization you joined).

Last edited by LAblondeGPhi; 03-04-2012 at 01:01 PM.
Old 03-04-2012, 02:20 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^ agree.
Old 03-04-2012, 03:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAblondeGPhi View Post
I'm not sure that any organizations really have a "stronghold" in CA based on TriDeltSallie's example of Chi Omega in Arkansas. There are a lot of organizations with many strong chapters in California, and you can't just compare 10 chapters in CA to 10 chapters in Georgia - the populations and number of universities are very different for those states. You really need to consider density vs. raw numbers.

ETA: For Example, Alpha Phi has 23 chapters in California (DG has 19, Theta and Gamma Phi each have 18, etc.). Now compare that to Phi Mu's 10 chapters in the state of Louisiana, when the next most prolific organizations have 4 chapters each.

Then you also have to take into consideration the prestige and size of the University, the strength/size/prestige of the overall Greek life at the University, and the strength of the chapter at that University. I think it's very misleading for us to look at a map and declare strongholds without really knowing the situation in that area.

Anyway, Greek life isn't the same in California as it is in the South. It's not as big a deal post-graduation, and which organization you were a member of will have very little influence on your career or social standing in your community (aside from the obvious alumnae connections and leadership skills developed, but that's different from influence/reputation based soley on WHICH organization you joined).
This is what I was trying to say with my earlier post, but couldn't express so well.