GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,411
0 members and 2,411 guests
No Members online

Old 01-11-2001, 10:53 PM

Post MTV's anti-hate crime marathon

Don't know how many of you caught this, but you might have heard about it.

The executives at MTV apparently have become aghast at the amount of airtime they've given to Eminem and his hateful (to say the least) lyrics. So to sort of cleanse their souls, yesterday they showed the Matthew Shephard story, followed by a 17-hour marathon of reports of hate crimes, in text on-screen and announced.

I tuned into it this morning sicne I had to get up at the crack o' dawn. The graphics were like the cable bulletin board announcing bingo night, and the announcers were about as emotional as a stick. Yeah, so they did this and basically gave away 17 hours of airtime. But it was executed in the cheapest way possible and most of it during the hours when very few people were watching. Good PR, crappy follow through.

What are your opinions on this??
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-12-2001, 12:52 AM

Hi 33girl...

I caught a few of those bulletin board announcements last night. True the announcers were not very emotional, but the content really bothered me. It made me think. It made me feel very vulnerable. Meaning, since they were reporting crimes that happened all over the country and among different races and religions, it reminded me that we are not completely safe. It really saddened me to hear that people will kill a person just because of their race or religious beliefs. Of course I knew that racism existed...in my mind, but to put names to the victims and what exactly happened just made it real to me. Does that make sense? So, even though it may have seemed like a waste of time, it made me feel uncomfortable and I think that was the point. To wake people up to the fact that these crimes are very real and they really effect people, on all levels...possibly leading to one's death.

I'm glad that I could share this with you. It really bothered me to hear that these such things still go on in this country.
Old 01-12-2001, 08:34 PM
GreekChat Member

33girl, sounds like that was a good show. Unfortunately I didnt see it. Shopgirl, from what you mentioned. I saw that idea up close and personal when I worked at the youth prison last summer and before at the group home. crimes do effect people from all walks of life and all kinds of families. Rich and Poor. I was amazed though the effort that kids would take into learning and being about gang culture. Its like when they came into the system it was there home already. If that makes sense. So it sucked when you worked there because they were automatically at an advantage. Plus with this gang culture, MTV actually provides a lot of the music that these gangs use to communicate to youths across the country that are in gangs. Then these kids use that to recruit other kids and then those kids get into the culture and get so busy learning the street ways. Instead of school. I was amazed at how much energy and talent at kids that were gang bangers that knew the language that instead could use that to better themselves in school. That really opened up my eyes. I really had it good growing up and I'm thankful of that.

[This message has been edited by kmullini (edited January 12, 2001).]
Old 01-13-2001, 12:29 AM

Hey Kmullini...

I agree, I think we both had it good...growing up military brats. Although I am aware that racism exists in the military,
as a military dependent you really don't see or feel much of it. If anything there is more segregation between ranks than there is race. Nevertheless, I feel honored to have grown up with people from all different backgrounds. You know what they say, we are all just different shades of green!!!
Old 01-13-2001, 10:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Shopgirl,

I agree. You dont see it as a dependant because your sheltered from it. At least I think so. As I've gotten older I've noticed the racism more too between the officer and enlisted ranks. I feel though dispite many of the problems that military families have, divorce being a big one, it was a great way to grow up. Especially how the military is a smaller world as far as families than here in the U.S. Being raised in okinawa I was brought up with the same principle about race. That we are all different shades of green.

Kevin
Old 07-16-2012, 08:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
The executives at MTV apparently have become aghast at the amount of airtime they've given to Eminem and his hateful (to say the least) lyrics.
Even after all these years, I never found his lyrics to be all that hateful. Shocking, vulgar sometimes, and violent, sure. But only hateful to Kim, who likely deserved it.

lol
Old 07-16-2012, 11:39 PM

AAAAAGGGGHHHHHH YOU FOUND A THREAD WITH KEVIN IN IT.

(Not Kevin the mod, Kevin the erstwhile stalker)
Old 07-17-2012, 12:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Oh my, I think I had no idea....