GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Locals

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,165
1 members and 1,164 guests
Low D Flat

Old 04-01-2017, 11:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Hey Guys! I want to start a local sorority

Hi there! My name's Jess. I am someone who disaffiliated from a sorority as the organization was not what I thought it was. I am looking to create a new local sorority in my area as I joining this forum in order to find out more about how to do so.
The universities in my areas do not recognize sororities or fraternities so I need to figure out how to start one without the help of student advisors. We are also not looking to be affiliated nationally or internationally as that would make dues astronomical.
Please let me know if you have any suggestions <3
(The girls and I have already written up our constitution, bylaws, decided on dues, finalized rituals, etc. We're just wondering if there are any more forms we need to write up, if we need to be recognized by the province, etc.)
Thanks for your help!
-Jess
Old 04-01-2017, 11:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLynne97 View Post
Hi there! My name's Jess. I am someone who disaffiliated from a sorority as the organization was not what I thought it was. I am looking to create a new local sorority in my area as I joining this forum in order to find out more about how to do so.
The universities in my areas do not recognize sororities or fraternities so I need to figure out how to start one without the help of student advisors. We are also not looking to be affiliated nationally or internationally as that would make dues astronomical.
(The girls and I have already written up our constitution, bylaws, decided on dues, finalized rituals, etc. We're just wondering if there are any more forms we need to write up, if we need to be recognized by the province, etc.)
Thanks for your help!
-Jess
Plenty of information already here for you to read. Best of luck!

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...ad.php?t=93174
Old 04-02-2017, 11:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Thanks for your help!
-Jess
Just an FYI: being part of a national/international fraternity or sorority does not automatically = astronomically high dues. It really depends on the campus, events in which Greeks regularly participate, recruitment type and number of potential members, and housing.

If there is no Greek life currently on your campus, I imagine your dues would not be high at all. You would not have a house and recruitment wouldn't be formal with elaborate parties.

I attended a smaller campus with a handful of Greek chapters of national organizations, generally ranging in size from 10-40 members. None of the sororities had houses, and my dues were regularly between $150-$200 a semester (and were $300 only the semester I pledged, but that included the initiation fee, my badge, and a lettered jersey).

For a semester, that comes to about $10-15 a week. And for me that was worth it when I considered that dues included insurance coverage, major programming, and lifelong networking opportunities through the national organization.

Also, please be aware of the fact that in this day and age, many campuses that are just starting Greek life tend to lean toward having chapters of national organizations due to liability issues and increased oversight.

Just some things for you to consider!

@~/~~~~
Old 04-02-2017, 12:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Way back in 2008 when the chapters at my school were all local, going NPC was actually seen as a cost saving measure. We were otherwise required to form a corporation and carry our own liability insurance.
Old 04-02-2017, 01:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Housing is what makes dues and fees astronomical - not the sorority itself.

If you don't have to pay a mortgage, utilities, furniture replacement, run a kitchen and feed people, pay a housemother and have employees for cleaning, cooking etc., your fees are much, much, much lower.

Old 04-02-2017, 02:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Thanks for your help!
-Jess
Just curious, are you Canadian? (Taking a guess as you have asked about being recognised by the province)
Old 04-02-2017, 11:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitneyLiz View Post
I am a Canadian thinking about starting a local.

A bit about myself so my post makes sense. I am currently in post secondary and I rushed a local however we didn't click. I graduate in a year and then I am going to another post-secondary school where greek life is non-existent.
My friend, who attends the school I am moving to, agrees that we should start a sorority and we have done a lot of research in the past semester however we are struggling to find information about starting up in Canada.

Where would you could I find information about this?
What are the difference between starting a local in the US vs in Canada?
FYI: this is a different poster than the OP...

@~/~~~~
Old 04-02-2017, 11:30 PM
GreekChat Member

WhitneyLiz, you should really start your own thread separately from this one. We will get all confused with replies!!