GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Up & Coming National GLOs

Up & Coming National GLOs This area is for discussion of issues affecting GLOs which are larger than a local, yet are still growing into a national GLO.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,419
2 members and 1,417 guests
flamboyanttree, Kevin

Old 09-29-2008, 07:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Y'all know it's true!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-29-2008, 07:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
Y'all know it's true!
I saw this flyer the other day and was like NOOOOOOOOOO they've gone to the dark side. So, now Sigma Psi Zeta is a multicultural asian-interest sorority and Sigma Beta Rho is a "South Asian-based, multicultural" fraternity. Two things I did NOT know a few years ago - back when these orgs weren't multicultural.

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Old 09-29-2008, 07:18 PM

Totally out of my lane here, but why are orgs that were traditionally 'Asian interest' or 'Latina' sororities now adding 'multicultural'?

Is this a push from their HQs or something like that?

Lakers Nation.
Old 09-29-2008, 07:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
Totally out of my lane here, but why are orgs that were traditionally 'Asian interest' or 'Latina' sororities now adding 'multicultural'?

A little late to the party? It's been a growing trend to capitalize on the hard work and ingenuity of historically-multicultural groups. The truth is, ALL Greek orgs are diverse and accept people from various backgrounds.

However, historically-multicultural Greeks specifically incorporate the concept of multiculturalism in membership education/intake, events, etc. Because of this, the composition of membership happens to be quite diverse. Chapters of multicultural GLOs that are doing what they're supposed to be doing generally don't target people of different ethnicities, backgrounds, gender identities, sexual orientations, religions, etc. for membership. But, there are those that do - and must - because they are slacking in their missions.

Old 09-30-2008, 09:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by preciousjeni View Post
Ahem. What's this? Don't let him drag you down too. LOL!
Well, I can talk, but some of my frat...I don't know

Old 09-30-2008, 09:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
Several of the orgs I've come in contact with have HQs that embrace multiculturalism, but their membership tends to take it too far (ie. saying things like "We are the largest multicultural GLO," etc).

Old 09-30-2008, 11:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
Several of the orgs I've come in contact with have HQs that embrace multiculturalism, but their membership tends to take it too far (ie. saying things like "We are the largest multicultural GLO," etc).
You're absolutely right. What I've been seeing is that, in general, the national HQ/website still defines the orgs in terms of their founding. So, a Latina sorority is still a Latina sorority even if they add "with multicultural membership." But, like knight_shadow said, the local chapters go wild, even trying to compete with historically-multicultural sororities to determine who is the "most" multicultural. It's pathetic. If they were secure with their organizational history and were devoted to their missions/purposes, it wouldn't have to be like that.

Old 10-01-2008, 11:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post

....or "We are NOT a Latina sorority" or "We accidentally advertise more to Latinas than others"....yes this has been said by members of an org that doesn't exist....*whistles*

even though knight_shadow....yeah I won't touch on ya

LOL!

It's all love!
Old 10-01-2008, 11:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
A little late to the party? It's been a growing trend to capitalize on the hard work and ingenuity of historically-multicultural groups. The truth is, ALL Greek orgs are diverse and accept people from various backgrounds.

However, historically-multicultural Greeks specifically incorporate the concept of multiculturalism in membership education/intake, events, etc. Because of this, the composition of membership happens to be quite diverse. Chapters of multicultural GLOs that are doing what they're supposed to be doing generally don't target people of different ethnicities, backgrounds, gender identities, sexual orientations, religions, etc. for membership. But, there are those that do - and must - because they are slacking in their missions.
oh Jeni I'll say it for ya...people are thirsty for numbers!! Yeah, I said it!
Old 10-01-2008, 11:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallyWicked View Post
....or "We are NOT a Latina sorority" or "We accidentally advertise more to Latinas than others"....yes this has been said by members of an org that doesn't exist....*whistles*

LOL!

It's all love!
I'm not feelin the love in this post! LOL

Old 10-02-2008, 09:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

LOL!

It's all love!
you "accidentally advertise more to Latinas than others", WTH is that. I think I would have fallen off my chair if I heard that. A college education isn't what it used to be I guess (for some?).
Old 10-03-2008, 01:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I saw this flyer the other day and was like NOOOOOOOOOO they've gone to the dark side. So, now Sigma Psi Zeta is a multicultural asian-interest sorority and Sigma Beta Rho is a "South Asian-based, multicultural" fraternity. Two things I did NOT know a few years ago - back when these orgs weren't multicultural.
WOW

being that Asian and South Asian are just over a decade old WHY would you advertise yourself as something other than those groups? That niche has not been filled! OY

Latino orgs I can understand (well not really but looking at their number desperation, yes), because there are so many Latino orgs and not that many Latinos in college.

Asian and South Asian organizations, however, are sitting on goldmines!
Old 10-04-2008, 07:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Latino orgs I can understand (well not really but looking at their number desperation, yes), because there are so many Latino orgs and not that many Latinos in college.
You are right on the Latino org thing. There is no way that many orgs with so many similarities can sustain ALL of their memberships.

ΚΔΠ Education Honor Society
Old 10-04-2008, 07:27 PM
GreekChat Member

I can't believe I haven't seen this thread before, & yes I'm late to the part. I seriously had to loooool @ Senusret

Some people know my experience with a certain organization. I don't know what truly is considered "multicultural" but seriously some girls are TRIPPIN'. They go from one year being a Latina organization promoting all there is to being a Latina, to the next year being "multicultural" because they got a black member (who is a good friend of mine). Not only that, but apparently some members found out that somewhere down their line way back in the stone age, they had a Chinese family member---so instead of being Mexican-American, they became Mexican-Chinese-American (and i'm NOT lieing, that's what this chick called herself).
Old 10-04-2008, 11:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DONGEO04 View Post
I JUST BECAME A BROTHER OF A MULTICULTURAL FRATERNITY, THIS PAST SUMMER AND I NOTICED THAT D9 MEMBERS AREN'T TOO FOND OF MINORITY GREEKS WHO DO NOT GO AND PLEDGE D9 ORGS, WHY IS IT THAT THEY ARE SO BITTER ABOUT ORGS WHO WERE FOUNDED AFTER THEIRS AND WITH DIFFERENT PRINCIPLES. LAST TIME I CHECKED THERE ARE EVEN SOME ORGS THAT WERE FOUNDED DUE TO THE FACT THAT A D9 ORG'S CERTAIN CHAPTER DID NOT WANT HISPANICS OR ASIANS PLEDGING THEIR FRAT BACK IN THE 80'S. IN THE END I THINK ALL GREEKS ARE IN THIS FOR THE SAME THING: SERVICE, BROTHERHOOD, BETTERMENT OF SELF AND NETWORKING....NO NEED FOR HATE..AND LATIN FRATS AND MULTICULTURAL FRATS WE NEED TO UNITE ALSO AND CUT OUT THE NONSENSE..NONSENSE GETS US NO WHERE
Quote:
Originally Posted by jubilance1922 View Post
Typing in all caps is just rude and annoying.

So is generalizing all the NPHC groups with such a broad brush.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnxbutterfly View Post
Why are you shouting? I'm happy that you made it in to your org of choice. It appears that the other issue is one that is close to your heart,but there are other(less aggressive ) ways to express yourself.

So step away from the keyboard, take a walk or something,and chill. When you've pulled yourself together, come back and we can have a normal (non-caps) conversation.

love,
me

From "Flame Warriors":

Quote:
ALLCAPS attempts to compensate for his limited rhetorical weaponry through the extravagant use of capitalized words - something netizens refer to as SHOUTING. Sure, a sprinkling of capitalized words can add some zip to a thrust, but they should be used sparingly. Even worse from a tactical point of view, too much shouting alerts other Warriors to the opponent's verbal WEAKNESS and emotional EXCITABILITY.

I Stay Woke!!