GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Gamma Delta
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,427
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, FlorCundif
» Online Users: 2,513
0 members and 2,513 guests
No Members online

Old 06-26-2002, 11:59 AM
UMgirl

Eeven though I dont see the problem with black, but can see the point IHQ is making, when I went down to help AB out with rush, they had on the red dresses for Pref...and they actually looked really cute. Of course they didnt all have on the same thing, but the shades of red surprisingly were the same. Many got the same dress from Express.

Im guessing for a Buff dress you'd have to hit stores like JCrew, Ann Taylor (Loft), and the Limited.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-26-2002, 12:06 PM
GreekChat Member

I've always thought that the reason why Delta Sigma Hawaii's muumuus went over so well is because they are all the same style (there are variations based on cut but they all are within the same family). I've seen other chapter's photos, and honestly all the different styles are why it doesn't look right (to me anyway). I think chapters should have dresses made for the "official"-let's-impress stuff (especially if you're using a color other than black/white), it'll make the group look more cohesive (and elite) than a mishmosh of whatever people have handy in their closets.

Just my thoughts....

LIEP,
Amy
Old 06-26-2002, 12:50 PM
GreekChat Member

I've seen a few pictures of chapters wearing red and it looks *awesome*! I come from a chapter where we wore black, and the other sororities wore black, too. In fact, that's a pretty popular choice for most groups to wear during preference. I think the red is more memorable, cheery, and positive! That would definitely stand out in my mind more than a group all in black.

The issue of the different colors of red wasn't even a problem in the pictures that I saw - it looked so classy and sophisticated! Some were long, some were short, some were sparkly, some were matte. It looked great.

Even just sheath dresses, slightly below the knee in all red would look great. And those could be made for not a lot of money...

I think it's worth giving the color issue a thought... white, red, buff or green represent our Fraternity colors and symbols. Why wear black when that's not our color? We want our potential new members to get to know us, and to identify with our symbols... wearing our colors at Preference, and incorporating them into the other rounds of recruitment is a perfect way to do that.

Just my $.02!
Old 06-26-2002, 06:14 PM
GreekChat Member

White is okay!

Quote:
Originally posted by fleazk294
at our preference we all wear white. I really like white a lot so it's weird to think it might be changing to red/buff/green
If you are wearing white you can continue to wear white, you do not have chose another color.

As for when to make the change, the annoucement of the color changes was done at Convention in Denver 1999. So 3 years later there should be a change at the collegiate chapter level.

As for white dresses and the complaint they do not look good - I do have a hard time believing that as I have seen it look beautiful in a number of cases. My chapter did it and we were from a small college town with no malls. We found dresses that were appropriate and if you do dress checks then you do no thave to worry about what the women will look like.

If you are a collegiate member, take the time to think about the dresses and the feeling you want for your PNMs. If you are an alumnae, please help with the transition.
Thank you!
Old 06-26-2002, 08:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by UMgirl
Im guessing for a Buff dress you'd have to hit stores like JCrew, Ann Taylor (Loft), and the Limited.
I've never seen a buff dress when I worked at JCrew.
Old 06-26-2002, 09:43 PM

Send a message via AIM to theta sig agd
I like the idea of buff, it can have an elegant look esp when alot of candles are lit. But has anyone considered having women wear red some green and some buff? That might be too busy but I think buff would look great!

Red seems too busy too. I liked black, which we wore b/c it was more formal and it looked great with pearls. It also made our badges stand out, but I can understand the changes.
Old 06-26-2002, 10:19 PM
GreekChat Member

White dresses

Chadwicks/Jessica London has cute red and white dresses. I didn't check out green, lol.
www.chadwicks.com

Last year, my chapter wore red dresses of all diff types. They got positive responses back.

I went ahead and ordered a new white dress last week. It has a white sweater with it, but I also bought a black/white sweater at Kohl's as an extra incentive to wear it, lol.

As they said at ACT in Charlotte, go ahead and order a white dress during the summer when they are easier to find..cause you aren't gonna find them too plentiful in Fall/Winter selections.
Old 06-27-2002, 09:24 AM
GreekChat Member

well if there was a change....

My chapter's first pref was in January 2000 and that would have been the time for IHQ to tell us about the need to wear a different color. We just wear our white dresses and I think it looks great. I think with the white lights, candles, balloons, and green ivy, the white tables and so on the atmoshere is heavenly. Sure we look like a group of pre-nuns (one big virgin party) but it is very striking.

As to what the other groups wear... the Phi Mu's wear black, SK wear white and KD's wear Green. I know that my chapter is most likly to try red this year, but I am a big supporter of the white. I will just have to wait and see!
Each day has enough trouble of its own!" ~Matthew 6:34
Old 06-27-2002, 09:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to fleazk294
Re: White is okay!

Quote:
Originally posted by DeltaBetaAGD

If you are wearing white you can continue to wear white, you do not have chose another color.

As for white dresses and the complaint they do not look good - I do have a hard time believing that as I have seen it look beautiful in a number of cases.
Thanx for the post to inform me white is okay... that's great to know. I do agree, that I think white looks very nice in number of cases. I'm from a very small college, too, and white looks really good in my opinion.
Old 06-27-2002, 10:20 AM
GreekChat Member

At my chapter, we have always worn black. I know that IHQ has asked us to wear red or green, but KD wears green, Sigma Kappa wears purple and all of the other chapters wear black. I guess old habits die hard. I don't know if our chapter is changing for next yera or not (I just went alum!) but all of the rushees make fun of the colored dresses (even though KD has made quota for forever and is one of their national's strongest chapters!) so I don't know. We have a few red heads who are like "NO RED! FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!" and noone could agree on a shade of green "Pastels? Too pasty! Hunter green!?! To hunterish!!! Pale green! UGH Looks like vomit!"
So needless to say.. haha!!! As for the white-
Whoo with my chapter, Initiation is the only time any of us pull out our white dresses. my mother made me two white dresses and I donated both to the chapter when I left for girls that get initiated in the future to use. I don't think it would look very pretty with girls wearing white dresses they have had since they were freshman (and have since put on twenty pounds or whatever). But that is just my opinion for my chapter. I prefer them wear red, if any of those girls, except for the black.
Another thing, the only people who have every complained at our school about the black dresses are VST, LCS or members form IHQ! HAHA>>

Facebook
Old 06-27-2002, 11:26 AM
GreekChat Member

I think we wore black, but then my senior year we all wore "jewel tones". The jewel tones worked out really well and everyone looked so nice! A lot of women wore red and green, but we also had a lot bright blues, yellows, purple, etc. The colors had to be "bright" and not faded and we had dress checks.

It was very bright and cheerful and a little less overwhelming then walking into a room with everyone wearing red. I personally liked it a lot better (and I'm sure other did too) than black or white dresses. I'd have to agree that the black dresses were too much like a funeral and kind of scary. We never wore white dresses during recruitment; made everyone look really washed out and weren't very flattering. And we also had pref parties after Labor Day so I can only imagine the fights between women whether or not we should wear white shoes!
Old 06-27-2002, 04:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ilovemyglo

Another thing, the only people who have every complained at our school about the black dresses are VST, LCS or members form IHQ! HAHA>>
Just an FYI - there are VST, LC and IHQ members on this board. I know we can get on members nerves but we are just trying to help.
Old 06-27-2002, 04:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Red dress pictures...

Here are the red dress pictures:

I apologize for not returning PMs in the last couple days. I had to put my dog to sleep this morning. The second one in 3 months.
Old 06-27-2002, 04:39 PM
GreekChat Member

CLARIFICATION!

Quote:
Originally posted by GtownGirl98
My chapter's first pref was in January 2000 and that would have been the time for IHQ to tell us about the need to wear a different color. We just wear our white dresses and I think it looks great. I think with the white lights, candles, balloons, and green ivy, the white tables and so on the atmoshere is heavenly. Sure we look like a group of pre-nuns (one big virgin party) but it is very striking.

As to what the other groups wear... the Phi Mu's wear black, SK wear white and KD's wear Green. I know that my chapter is most likly to try red this year, but I am a big supporter of the white. I will just have to wait and see!
I guess I have confused everyone! VST/IHQ has not told you to change from white because white is OKAY!!!

OPTIONS for dress color:
White, Red, Buff, Green

Sorry for the confusion, it has been a rough week.
Old 06-27-2002, 04:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Those look *great*! Makes me wish we'd done red dresses when I was a collegian. I think it looks awesome - thanks for posting those, DeltaBetaAGD! Sorry to hear about your dog... that must have been so hard.