GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 1,671
0 members and 1,671 guests
No Members online

Old 01-16-2001, 11:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Question Greek Influences in Pop Culture

Last edited by localsororities; 09-14-2006 at 03:52 PM.
Old 01-16-2001, 01:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Supposedly, in the movie "Steel Magnolias", there are a lot of references to Phi Mu--in the wedding, the whole color scheme is pink, with pink carnations.

Also, I've heard that Neil Armstrong's first wife was an Alpha Chi, and as a result, there is an Alpha Chi badge on the moon. I asked this question to "those in the know", and they said there's something up there, but they're not sure if it's a badge or what.
Old 01-16-2001, 01:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Here are some of the ones I've heard:

The gold fleur-de-lis on the Campbells Soup cans are there because Campbell's wife was a Kappa Kappa Gamma.

The arrow on Wrigley's Spearmint gum is there because Wrigley's wife was a Pi Beta Phi.

Anne Klein uses the lion as her symbol because she is an Alpha Delta Pi.

Liz Claiborne uses the Triangle as her symbol because she is a Tri-Delt (not because she is a Satan-worshipper, as some have claimed!)

I feel like I used to know more of these tidbits . . . and I can only recall these few, now!

I'll post more if I can remember any others!

------------------
Oh, Kappa Kappa Kappa Gamma,
I'm so happy that I am a
Kappa Kappa Kappa Gamma,
Nobody knows . . . how
happy I am!
Old 01-16-2001, 02:33 PM
GreekChat Member

AlphaChiGirl,
I had heard the same rumor about an Alpha Chi Omega badge on the moon! Isn't it funny the things people will think of to do?!?! Very romantic!
Old 01-16-2001, 06:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation

About the pin on the moon-

3 years ago tri-delt was using that SAME story. I wrote AXO nationals and they sent me an official note saying it is a myth.

Armstrong was 1st married to an AXO (when he went to the moon) THEN married to a tri-delt. if a pin was up there it would be AXO but it is not a true rumor. There is NOTHING on the moon sorority related!!!

They even sent me a 3 page article about his AXO wife from The Lyre. It's very interesting.

The Tri-delts are STILL trying to use this story even though I brought the article to their attention through my best friend who is a DDD. They don't show any respect by lying to the rushees who really believe the story.

If and when I find the papers they sent me, I will send it to anyone who wants a copy (assuming it's not lost under my bed forever)

LITB!!!
Old 01-16-2001, 07:36 PM
GreekChat Member

I have heard that the Arrow pen is associated with pi phi....
Old 01-16-2001, 09:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Hey all!! I wanted to contribute to this so I am excited!! Jim Henson's (who created The Muppets, and Seaseme Street) wife was an Alpha Xi Delta. We are known as the Fuzzies and our mascot is the bear. Well Fozzie the Bear, you know, the one who tells all the bad jokes he is a take off on that. And the first Kermit the Frog was made from some green curtains in her chapter's house...scary tahh they had green curtains but ya know it mkaes for a good story!! Hope you enjoyed it
Xi Love,
Emily
xoxo
Old 01-16-2001, 11:00 PM

Barney the PURPLE dinosaur and his lil maroon friend are thanks to a Sigma Kappa. Not something many chapters want to brag about though.
Old 01-16-2001, 11:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cash78mere:
About the pin on the moon-

I wrote AXO nationals and they sent me an official note saying it is a myth.

Armstrong was 1st married to an AXO (when he went to the moon) THEN married to a tri-delt. if a pin was up there it would be AXO but it is not a true rumor. There is NOTHING on the moon sorority related!!!
LITB!!!
I wonder how it got started.

So, with the Liz Claiborne thing...is she or is she not a Tri-Delt? And if not, how is the rumour still going strong?
Old 01-17-2001, 12:12 AM

Wink

Hi there localsororities...

There are a few things in our culture that have been influenced by a person's affiliation to a GLO. For example, Hallmark uses the crown as it's symbol because the wife of a previous CEO was/is a Zeta Tau Alpha. I also remember reading something about the symbol on Campbell soup cans (the little gold circle at the very top) having to do with a GLO... for some reason I think it was Kappa Delta or Delta Zeta???

Then there are the movies. A Zeta Tau Alpha was involved with the making of The Little Mermaid and therefore there are symbols used in the movie that are related to their organization. There are also things in there that only ZTA's would know about.

I have also heard that Dr. Zeuss' wife is a Sigma Kappa and that in the original cartoon, How The Grinch Stole Christmas, there are things that only SK's would know. Of course I have seen Jim Carrey's The Grinch, and as a Sigma Kappa I didn't see anything exciting. However, it has been a long time since I have seen the cartoon. Also, if there is anyone out there that has heard of the movie "Mystic Pizza" with Julia Roberts, supposedly the director or producer was/is a Sigma Kappa and therefore might explain certain things in the movie, like the wedding colors...I think they wore lavender (one of our colors).

Anyway, I can't think of anything else. If I do I'll be sure to post it. I hope this is of some interest to you.
Old 01-17-2001, 12:53 AM

Smile

Hey guys...

I forgot about the Barney thing...surprised!!!

About the Campbell soup thing...it doesn't look like a flower in the gold circle. It actually looks like a woman, or two. Let me know if I'm totally off here.

About Neil Armstrong...He's a Phi Delt and I heard that their flag is waving up there. Any thoughts?

I love the whole muppets and fozzie thing!!!
Old 01-17-2001, 12:54 AM

Question

SoCalGirl...

Are you a Sigma Kappa?
Old 01-17-2001, 12:56 AM
GreekChat Member

supposedly the song "let's go fly a kite" from mary poppins was written in honor of walt disney's daughters, who were kappa alpha thetas...
Old 01-29-2001, 05:08 PM
GreekChat Member

I had heard about the Campbell's soup thing, too. And by looking at the can, it seems to be a true rumor. Surrounding the containers, there are fleur-de-lis, which is the symbol of Kappa Kappa Gamma.
Old 01-29-2001, 08:20 PM
Super Moderator

Talking

Hey, Coffeemug! Yes, we were told as pledges that the arrow on Parker pens and the one on Wrigley's are both due to the founders' wives being Pi Phis.