GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,452
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, saphqueen
» Online Users: 2,368
1 members and 2,367 guests
Xidelt

Old 08-26-2003, 03:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy Iowa State editorial on sororities

COLUMN: Sorority life is becoming obsolete
Alicia Ebaugh is a junior in journalism and mass communication from Sioux City. She is the opinion editor of the Daily.

By Alicia Ebaugh
Iowa State Daily
August 25, 2003

Last week, the blocks near my apartment were swarming with women, each of them searching for that elusive pot of gold beyond the rainbow -- social acceptance and a sense of belonging.

During Rush Week, hordes of these women, mostly dressed alike, visited sorority houses together and invest all the energy they had into a tumultuous week of emotional ups and downs while they waited for the big finale: Bid Day. For some, this one week, boiled down to one day, will shape the rest of their social life at Iowa State and even after college in their careers.

But, honestly, how can spending one week getting to know the houses and members of sororities really prepare anyone for picking the "right" one to fit their own interests, especially a group made up of mostly freshmen women who aren't familiar with college life?

The sororities' potential "bids," or members, are all like sheep, driven about in flocks from one place to another, presented with a whirlwind of information which most likely doesn't have time to sink in. It's like these women are being put on display, with only their potential to further the sororities' interests under consideration. No one really seems to have their interests at heart.

Being bid upon and treated like some farm animal at an auction isn't what I came to college for, and it shouldn't be the fate of any woman here. But it is, and it isn't fair to women just looking for friends in a strange, new place.

Granted, most women also join sororities for their philanthropic aspects, to build their resumes by taking leadership positions within the sorority, or to create connections related to their desired career after college. And some sororities are quite different from others.

But I don't know of any women who joined sororities for these reasons and are still members after a year or so. They learned they could get things done on their own. As for those "different" sororities -- Iowa State might have one. If we're lucky.

So, we come back to the ultimate question: Why do women feel the need to join sororities? I know for a fact that, after spending time in college, living in the dorms, going to classes and meeting people, you do make friends and contacts. If you're outgoing and keep yourself busy, you meet people quickly. For the not-so-confident, it may take awhile.

So shyness could be a reason, but it really isn't. No matter how much you lock yourself in your dorm room, I've found that, sooner or later, someone on your floor will knock on your door and ask you to go to lunch with them, or see if you want to watch a movie. There are also scads of student organizations devoted to every possible interest, and by going to one meeting you can find people like you. Potential friends are simply everywhere.

But for people who want to belong to an "elite group," I would guess that greek life is the way to go. Exclusivity has always been their trademark. Having rituals and traditions established long ago makes each woman a part of tradition themselves and, reminiscent of people from "old money" on the East Coast, they seem to think that this gives them some advantage over everyone else.

However, seeing as how we're all connected to history by this crazy thing called life, I'd say each and every one of us are sisters -- we've laughed together, cried together, died together -- and this sisterhood is much bigger than anything any sorority could provide you. Secret societies are for people who didn't outgrow high school.

And don't think I'm bitter: I realize I couldn't get into a sorority to save my life. I have no illusions -- I'm not exactly the type they're looking for.

It didn't take too much searching on the Internet to understand why.

Many sorority Web sites included online calendars stating the dates of women's engagements and wedding announcements. Even in their statements of sisterhood is included the importance of being there when your sister gets married. Excuse me, but I don't think that is something of the utmost importance in a woman's life -- who you are and what you accomplish matters more than the man you're connected with. You can blow out a candle when I win a Pulitzer -- that's important.

However, I did notice that a majority of sororities emphasized the importance of academic scholarship by rewarding their sisters with treats and prizes. Most houses also have designated study rooms and study hours for members with low GPAs. This is definitely a step in the right direction.

But, relative to where society stands today, it isn't much at all. Sororities are slowly becoming obsolete because other resources are available to us. Sisterhood isn't contingent on pledging -- lifelong friends can be found without having to pay dues for them.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-26-2003, 03:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Warning: severe sarcasm ahead

Well, it's nice to see that no one has come up with any *new* reasons why Greek life is obsolete. And it's amazing how many wonderful, caring, friendly, and driven women join such useless organizations every year, and how with such an "elite" attitude we manage to attract such a diversity of women. At my school, it would be a huge shock if someone who went through recruitment didn't get a bid, but that must be of course because we screen each woman and make them wear all the same clothing during recruitment, and if they can't afford the new clothing or don't fit the size 2, well forget it!

Geeze, stuff like this makes me so mad, probably because I used to think that way, but at least gave it a shot and was willing to change my opinion if presented with evidence to the contrary.
Old 08-26-2003, 03:58 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to moe.ron
I like the color
Old 08-26-2003, 04:18 PM

Shame, shame, shame on those terrible Panhellenic women at Iowa State who kidnap freshman women and *force* them to go through rush against their wills

Last edited by KillarneyRose; 08-26-2003 at 04:21 PM.
Old 08-26-2003, 04:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Iowa State editorial on sororities

Quote:
Originally posted by DGMarie
The sororities' potential "bids," or members, are all like sheep, driven about in flocks from one place to another, presented with a whirlwind of information which most likely doesn't have time to sink in. It's like these women are being put on display, with only their potential to further the sororities' interests under consideration. No one really seems to have their interests at heart.

Being bid upon and treated like some farm animal at an auction isn't what I came to college for, and it shouldn't be the fate of any woman here. But it is, and it isn't fair to women just looking for friends in a strange, new place.
Oh goodness. I really did hate it when I went through recruitment and I was weighed and some farmers came along and slapped me on the sides to see if I was healthy. Baaaaaa.

Seriously, there are too many things wrong with this for me to even go into, but sheep?! Farm animals?!
Old 08-26-2003, 04:22 PM
GreekChat Member

She'll be waiting quite a long time for that Pulitzer, methinks.

wptw
Old 08-26-2003, 04:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Iowa State editorial on sororities

Quote:
Originally posted by valkyrie
Oh goodness. I really did hate it when I went through recruitment and I was weighed and some farmers came along and slapped me on the sides to see if I was healthy. Baaaaaa.

The worst is when they check your teeth to make sure you're not too old.

it took me a lot of efforts to read this... once she got into the same-ol' tripe... I just kept wanting to skim.

Last edited by kappaloo; 01-27-2005 at 02:06 PM.
Old 08-26-2003, 04:56 PM

Dear Alicia:

Kiss my ass.

XOXO,
Old 08-26-2003, 04:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Unfortunately, it wouldn't matter if she went through rush or not, she's got those moldy stereotypes and pre-conceived notions in her head, and with people like that, there's almost nothing you can do.

Personally, I believe society as a whole (particularly the likes of Ms. Ebaugh) is way more close-minded and judgemental than any sorority memebers I've met. Personally, yes, I will celebrate when and if I or any of my sisters get engaged and married. I'll also celebrate when any of them get pregnate, get their first "real" job, get a promotion, win a Pulitzer, get new shoes, or finds a quarter on the sidewalk - it doesn't matter, the point is we're supporting each other, and getting joy from others good fortune, and sharing a cry with some of the bad stuff. We're they're for each other.

Plus, just because I'm a 'liberated' women of the twenty-first century, who says I can't still find happiness with a caring man (or woman for that matter). Finding a person who loves you and supports you, and you feel the same for them, is one of the most rewarding relationships you can have (hello - my parents are a perfect example). Okay, huge tangent, but anyways...

I'm sure she just picked those two things because they reinforced her opinion. "Selective" journalism at its best
Old 08-26-2003, 05:00 PM
GreekChat Member

I liked the part about all the women "dressed alike." I mean, really, if you are all going to the same event, aren't you going to be dressed similarly? what was she looking for, the odd girl in a snowsuit?

To me, these articles are like Salad Shooters. They only come out at Christmas (or rush, in this case).

Marie
Old 08-26-2003, 05:20 PM
GreekChat Member

My 2 cents.

Many sorority Web sites included online calendars stating the dates of women's engagements and wedding announcements. Even in their statements of sisterhood is included the importance of being there when your sister gets married. Excuse me, but I don't think that is something of the utmost importance in a woman's life -- who you are and what you accomplish matters more than the man you're connected with. You can blow out a candle when I win a Pulitzer -- that's important.

Aside from being clear as day the author of the piece does not 'believe' in marriage, or is someone who would say she 'does not see the point', this ignores the fact that to the woman involved a marriage will be one of the most important and meaningful episodes that she might experience in her life.
Prior to that there have been family, friends etc; but with marriage comes a further pledge (for both parties) to make the rest of your life a union of two people. It is one of those times in a life when it stops being about 'the I and the me' and more about 'the us and the we'. Thus the importance attached to having ones friends around them as they face important steps in their lives.

Sororities are slowly becoming obsolete because other resources are available to us. Sisterhood isn't contingent on pledging -- lifelong friends can be found without having to pay dues for them.

Another flawed statement. If her supposition is that joining a student interest organization is a perfectly good alternative to make friends which therefore renders sororities obsolete; then per her logic, as those societies charge members to join/take part in them they too are as flawed as the groups she seeks to condemn.

----
http://tinyurl.com/l9yr

Last edited by decadence; 08-26-2003 at 05:23 PM.
Old 08-26-2003, 05:29 PM
GreekChat Member

I guess that like-mindedness seems to attract enough to fill 14 houses.Maybe she thinks that because they are from Iowa,they don't know enough to think for themselves.
As someone who attended Iowa State,albeit 15 years ago,Alicia's opinion won't change one single thing.AsI remember, it was a relatively greek friendly campus.
Old 08-26-2003, 05:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DGMarie
I liked the part about all the women "dressed alike." I mean, really, if you are all going to the same event, aren't you going to be dressed similarly? what was she looking for, the odd girl in a snowsuit?

Marie
I once got a few left-wingers at school *really* pissed off when I pointed out that each and every one of these people who called themselves "freek thinkers" and "individualists" all dressed and wore their hair alike.

It was worth the barrage of insults to see the looks on their faces when they realized I was right!

Adrienne
Old 08-26-2003, 05:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy

A Bitch by any other Name is still a Bitch!

Not Willie Shakespear, but by Tom Earp!

It is a sad commentary from a person who probably was unable to cope with the whole thing.

Yes, this is a Harrowing time with little of of it to adjust and see what is right or wrong.

It can and is overwhelming to some! Most find a niche to fit with and are very happy!

Ah My Minons, So Be it!

Damn, that must be why I have so many Friends from 38 years!

We screwed up! DA!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 08-26-2003, 07:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to queequek
Quote:
Originally posted by Hootie
Coming from Iowa State University...WHO CARES!?!?! Sorry but I had a very good friend attend Iowa State and according to him there's not much to do and there's hardly any women. LMAO. So, if sorority rush gives women the opprotunity to MEET other women, then what's the problem? I'd love to hear a reporter's story IF they had actually participated in Rush instead of making assumptions on "what it's like".
Err, I have to disagree with the statement, Hootie. There are LOTS to do here, if you know what's going on and get involved. Especially if you're Greek, you always have things going on, not sure if your friend lives off campus and not too involved. And Iowa State has one of the best Greek community in the midwest (and the nation), with 14 sororities and 28 fraternities, so we DO count.
And of course we have women here, and the ratio between male and female student is about even.

Yes, the article was dumb, in my opinion, and it didn't help out our Greek community at all. Some people replied the article today, and it will be interesting to see what is going to happen in the next few days.