GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Kappa > Kappa Kappa Gamma

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,569
2 members and 2,567 guests
JayhawkAOII, Sen's Revenge

Old 08-05-2005, 12:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Personal Blogs and Kappa

As we approach recruitment time for many chapters, potential new members will be learning about Kappa and other sororities they way any technically savvy gal would - by looking online.

Between Xanga, LiveJournal, Blogger, Friendster and others there are any number of ways active members of Kappa share thoughts and information online with friends and - by the public nature of it - with strangers too. Unfortunately, it is easy to forget that being online (like writing to GreekChat) is a public forum - and not everything people write portrays a good image of Kappa. (such as.....I'm a 18 year old freshman and I got sooooo drunk at the Tappa Alpha Kegga party last night...)

So what to do? Unlike message boards, there is no moderator to prevent undesirable posts. And no one wants to play big brother (sister?) and monitor every site for "bad kappa PR". What's the alternative?

Discuss...
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-05-2005, 12:24 PM
GreekChat Member

For actives, the chapter should be reminded that as members, they represent Kappa at all times, not just when they wear their letters. Not only does this include the internet world, this also includes their actions on and around campus (including social activities).

We also understand that our members, active and alumnae alike, are not perfect and they will make mistakes that may seem like negative PR for the chapter and the fraternity. For actives I think a reminder, especially by their own peers, is more effective than me as an adviser telling them what they should/should not be doing. I don't feel it is my place to be "policing" them 24/7. They are adults and should be held accountable for their actions via the Standards board.

Unlike GC, many personal blogs have "friends only" options so that only the people on your "friends" list have access to your posts. That way you can still share your great story but it's only readable by a seleect people.
Perhaps it'll be a hootshinpaloozaree. I don't know.
Old 08-05-2005, 12:30 PM
GreekChat Member

i've been thinking the same thing, too... especially with thefacebook.com and myspace.com, it's very easy to look someone up... i'm even more concerned about keeping Recruitment Counselors disassociated during Recruitment periods!
Old 08-05-2005, 03:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Good points.

First, ISUKappa is absolutely right - you cannot police from headquarters. It gets you nowhere and it would end up like whack-a-mole - squelch one here, another one pops up over there... The issue is absolutely one that must be handled by the chapter leadership and standards council.

The recruitment counselor issue is a completely new angle I hadn't even thought of - but you are so right. It is nearly impossible to put the electronic genie back in the bottle when you suddenly need to be "anonymous" for recruitment week!

I was asked for some thoughts on the subject by the technology chair for Kappa, but I am at a loss to recommend a good approach. Banning, as we have established, is draconian and ineffective. You can require members to only blog/post/whatever to "members only" sites, but take thefacebook - members only, sure - but please - anyone can still find you there. Do you recommend chapters write an "electronic communications standards" policy in their bylaws? Do you have fraternity eduction or standards have an online safety session? I'm not sure those are the right answer either... it just seems that if you're the recruitment chair, the VP of standards, or on panhellenic it is a problem with no easy solution.

Paula
Old 08-05-2005, 04:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by paulaKKG
... Do you have fraternity eduction or standards have an online safety session?...
You know, this might be a good suggestion, not only in regards to the Fraternity, but with online use in general. How to keep your personal information safe and avoid identity theft, which can also include the stealing of pictures, etc... from photo sites.
Perhaps it'll be a hootshinpaloozaree. I don't know.