GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 2,460
1 members and 2,459 guests
adanshulze9637

Old 01-06-2002, 06:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to erniegurl00 Send a message via Yahoo to erniegurl00
My Rush From The Other Side

Well, I know a lot of girls going through rush post their stories, but I thought I would write about my experiences as a rusher. It's my first time, and I'm sure I'll have a lot to say.

So far a lot has happened. Rush starts on Thursday, but my house is really busy with practices and preparations. I'm in our rush skit so that is taking up a lot of my time. I'm really excited about it because we've changed it this year, and it's much more energetic and appealing.

Right now I'm kind of down because I feel that I'm going to be a horrible rusher. I'm really trying hard to cover all of the basics, but it seems like I keep doing things wrong. But, I think things will perk up later on. Well, the bell has been rung for practice. I'll keep you all updated as rush progresses.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-06-2002, 08:10 PM
Super Moderator

Talking

Good luck, erniegurl!!! You'll blow 'em away!!!
Old 01-07-2002, 01:05 AM
GreekChat Member

I know you are really nervous, I can remember feeling that way also. Take a deep breath, remember your breath mints (gotta have those!) and do your best, that is all you can do. Don't stress-you will do fine!
Old 01-07-2002, 09:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Oh sweetie--I am sure you will be a great rusher. Just remember how nervous you were in the rushee's(yes, I am OLD SCHOOL and cannot do this new lingo!) shoes and do anything you can to make them more comfortable. Try to find anything you two have in common and just run with it. I have had some of the best party conversations with girls about the most random things--a LOVE for the bagel toasting machine in the dining hall(it did PERFECT bagels--god, I miss that thing), family trips to crazy places, favorite nail polish colors, etc, etc. If you seem genuinely glad to see this girl, she will be genuinely glad to be there with you. GOOD LUCK!! I will be thinking about you!!
Old 01-07-2002, 12:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for all of the support girls!

This morning's practice wasn't too bad. We had to practice our songs over and over again, and I've almost lost my voice! LOL It is hard for us because we are a smaller chapter, and for rushees to hear us at the rock (meeting place where Rho Chi's and rushees wait before entering) we have to scream. My good news for the day is that our skit is finally coming along! Yeah! I'm so proud of our skit because we've had to put soo much work into it. I'm also excited because I was chosen to read during our Pref Party.

Oh, on a side note. One reason why I hated rushing yesterday was because one of my sisters purposefully was mean (to help us not hurt us) and put me on the spot. I sure hope a rushee doesn't suggest our house go on Weight Watchers! Holy cow I don't know how I'd respond. (and yes, she really did say that to me and the girl I was bumping during practice)
Old 01-07-2002, 01:45 PM
GreekChat Member

What? Are you saying that your sister was trying to prepare you in case a rushee says something outrageous, like that your chapter should go to Weight Watchers? I would think that such a comment would need no response other than -- Wow, that's an inappropriate thing to say (and then of course cut her).

I don't see how saying something like that would help; it just seems like it would increase your anxiety level needlessly. I am sure you will do wonderfully, and have a great time!!
Old 01-07-2002, 01:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by valkyrie
What? Are you saying that your sister was trying to prepare you in case a rushee says something outrageous, like that your chapter should go to Weight Watchers? I would think that such a comment would need no response other than -- Wow, that's an inappropriate thing to say (and then of course cut her).

I don't see how saying something like that would help; it just seems like it would increase your anxiety level needlessly. I am sure you will do wonderfully, and have a great time!!
I see your point, valkyrie. However, I think that most chapters practice rushing each other, saying both positive and negative things, so that the girls will all learn how to be tactful and polite even in the worst case scenarios. The theory behind that is that you may not like a particular rushee and she may not like you, but she may have a good friend also going through Rush who is wonderful.

You don't want to say something in the heat of the moment that you regret later, and you never know how someone overhearing your comment may take it.

The trick is to learn how to respond to catty remarks with grace and dignity so that you represent your house well. You can always cut that nasty girl after the round, and that will make your point just as well as a scathing remark.
Old 01-07-2002, 02:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Ah, that makes sense. I think I just got the wrong idea that the sister was trying to freak her out, which she wasn't. Thanks for the explanation!
Old 01-07-2002, 03:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to dzsaigirl
Yeah, that happens in most chapters as a practice. You have to practice not only what to say, but so that you won't make a face when someone says something...that's hard. For instance:

Rusher: So which dorm do you live in?

Rushee: Oh, I don't live in the dorms. I live in an apartment with my baby's daddy and his new girlfriend...

And the appropriate response: Wow, it must be difficult raising a child and going to school. So how long is your commute? (and then you tell the chapter about what she said and they handle the cutting appropriately!)

See what I mean? And yes, things like this get said in rush!
Old 01-07-2002, 04:15 PM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
We have a lot of scenarios ready to practice, and some of them aren't fun. I mean, for instance, one is where a rushee says "you're the smallest sorority on campus. why would i want to join this group over a large, more popular one?" Or another "why is your chapter so small compared to the others on campus?". Or another "I heard you will give a bid to anyone. Is that true?"

Trust me, rushees say the silliest things sometimes when they are nervous and want to make sure of what they're doing. You'll be fine ernie
Old 01-07-2002, 04:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh no! My sister didn't intentionally mean to be hurtful, and she made it clear by coming up to me, hugging me, and saying again that she was only trying to be helpful. It just really caught me off guard, especially since in practice no one has ever done anything like that! However, today during afternoon practice we took turns playing different "roles" and trying to be a more difficult rushee (ie. a person who doesn't talk). I think it has really been helpful, and I feel more confident being a rusher. I think I was just having a bad day yesterday. These days are long leading up to rush, but I think as long as I go into it with a smile I'll be ok. I'm super excited about rush, although a tad nervous. Anyway, thanks again to all who have been supportive. Only two more days until rush!
Old 01-07-2002, 08:12 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't know about anyone else, but I have never had trouble making conversation with a rushee. Usually they are so excited to be there and they sort of look up to you and want to talk to you beause you are already in a sorority. Just try to make a friend. It's really easy. Actually, I think rush has made me into more of a people person. I can talk to anyone: The checker at Target, the guy servicing my car, people waiting for their loved ones at the airport, etc. I swear, I will talk to anyone if given the opportunity!
Old 01-07-2002, 11:54 PM
GreekChat Member

I am just curious as to how many practiced what you were going to say to the rushees? My chapter did not do this, instead we spent hrs (many hrs) going through the slides of each girl, memorizing her hometown, what she looked like etc... This helped us get to know the rushees but it sometime made for a long day b/c we would have 600 girls go through
Old 01-08-2002, 12:23 AM
GreekChat Member

We don't make slides of rushees. We make cards from their pic and resume...the giant sized notecards...I don't know what size they are...big.

There is a process by which rushers are assigned and when they are, those girls look over their assigned rushees, but we do not memorize. I would call it familiarization. We try not to talk about something until the girl says something about it. For instance you would not say, "You went to St. Agnes and you sang in the choir and you also volunteered at the AIDS walk and you were homecoming queen..." That freaks people out. We mostly use the cards just to see who in the chapter would be the best fit for pairing up.

And yes, we practice rushing constantly. Rush skills and skits. Our rush advisors are pretty hard-core, especially by UH standards! But we have made quota for 38 consecutive years or something, so I guess it pays off!

I still say the most important thing to do is just make a friend And that's something we practice in our daily lives!
Old 01-08-2002, 11:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
I hope that you have a successful rush! I know that it can be an anxiety inspiring experience. I suggest that you and your sisters unwind before rush by having a nice leisurely dinner and enjoying their company. If you are nervous or stressed, you won't be your best so take a few deep breaths and RELAX! Good luck!