GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,427
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, FlorCundif
» Online Users: 2,507
1 members and 2,506 guests
navane

Old 09-09-2011, 06:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Tri Delta on Probation at U of Central Florida

Tri Delta at the U of Central Florida is on probation. For details on the situation leading to this, see:

http://www.floridatoday.com/article/...cohol-incident

For several months I haven't seen many (any?) published accounts of what I call You-Can't-Let-'Em-Out-In-Public behavior. The article ^^ and Tri Delta's acceptance of the sanctions show, however, that this kind of thing still goes on.

Excerpt:

In a letter dated Sept. 7, the university sanctioned the sorority to probation through the spring 2012 semester. All social events through the fall 2011 semester must be alcohol-free and all activities the sorority participates in must be approved by the university.

In addition to probation, the sorority must write a letter of apology to the hotel and pay restitution. The sorority must also develop a new risk management policy.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-13-2011, 09:47 AM
GreekChat Member

bad boys

What is up with "guests behaving badly" at these formals???

http://knightnews.com/2011/09/ann-he...during-formal/

This is terrible that the Tri Delta chapter has to also endure probation after the death of a new member.

Wishing condolences and strength to that chapter.
Old 09-14-2011, 05:02 PM
GreekChat Member

http://www.alligator.org/news/greek_...cc4c03286.html

UCF has banned alcohol at socials for all greek orgs.

Last edited by ZTA zetahunny; 09-14-2011 at 05:03 PM. Reason: incomplete
Old 09-14-2011, 07:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
According to the incident report, the sorority rented 32 rooms at the downtown Orlando Embassy Suites in April by falsely leading the hotel to believe they were a group of young Irish dancers.

When the group arrived at the hotel, it was determined they were there for their spring formal.
Part of the story has to be missing. They rent a block of rooms and that's how they have a formal? Surely the rooms were in addition to a ballroom. The hotel had to be aware that a formal was taking place, just not that they were renting rooms to the attendees. Otherwise - strange formal, at least IMHO.

Anyway, I hope they learn a valuable lesson from this and that the chapter hangs together through this year. It's been a tough semester for them so far.

I work with my local chapter a risk management adviser, and this scenario is just a nightmare.

I know Kappa HQ has very strict RM guidelines for all chapters; I don't know if Tri Delta does for sure, but I would be absolutely astonished if they didn't have a similar program in place already.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amIblue? View Post

I know Kappa HQ has very strict RM guidelines for all chapters; I don't know if Tri Delta does for sure, but I would be absolutely astonished if they didn't have a similar program in place already.
It's been a number of years since I volunteered on the national level, but I'm confident in saying that this violated many DDD RM policies (not to mention basic common sense and abiding by the law).

How could they be so dumb to think they would get away with this?

And, yes, I can use the word dumb since this is my own sorority.

Stupid.

My recruitment story: My sorority membership changed my life.