GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,131
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, Yodap
» Online Users: 1,271
2 members and 1,269 guests
navane, Yodap

Old 09-11-2013, 12:08 PM
GreekChat Member

I always loved the Madeline books.

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot
Old 09-11-2013, 01:41 PM
Super Moderator

Me too. I bought the books and videos for my daughter and son. They used to dance around when the Madeline song would come on. My daughter would say she was Madeline and my son would say he was Chloe. So sweet!
Old 09-11-2013, 04:40 PM
GreekChat Member

I am a little bummed that Corduroy is in the bottom list. I love Corduroy.

I am really enjoying your story and I appreciate it that you are keeping us posted on your mom's wisdom. You are fortunate to have such a supportive mom!

Good luck!
Old 09-11-2013, 06:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConfettiCupcake View Post
When I talked to my mom tonight she prepared me for big disappointments for tomorrow. She says these cuts are big and that it feels worse because you get thinking so far ahead and can really see yourself somewhere. There was lots more to the conversation but it was mostly about getting rest, drinking lots of water, using sunscreen and eating healthy…. Thanks Mom!
Again your mother gives great advice! You're a lucky girl.

Together, let us seek the heights!
Old 09-11-2013, 06:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyres&pearls View Post
Again your mother gives great advice! You're a lucky girl.
Thanks! I think so too (most of the time
Old 09-11-2013, 06:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Third Round – Skit

We could be invited back to six parties today and I had six on my list! They weren’t my top six, but I was really happy with a full schedule. My roommate only has two for today and another girl from my high school has dropped out because she only had one. Two girls on my hall have dropped out because they weren’t happy with who they have left. Funny thing is they have been VERY opinionated all along and seemed to know someone at every single sorority before Rush started. Lots of drama going on at that end of the hall.

So the six that I am going back to today are:
Pippi, Madeline, Ramona, Annie, Junie and Corduroy

I am very, very disappointed to have not been invited back to Sal. I really thought that might be the one. I am a little sad to not see Amelia on the list, but I was a legacy there and knew that if I wasn’t the right girl for them that they would most likely drop me after this round. The only one I really am not interested in at all right now is Pippi and that just feels so awkward. I am soooooo excited about going back to Annie and Madeline!

The first house I visited today was Annie! Their skit was funny and sharp and well-done. We talked a lot about the philanthropy again and as I said this is my favorite out of all of the philanthropies. I asked a lot of questions but tried to not be so gushy like I was yesterday. I really, really want this to be the one I think!

Next was Pippi. This party was a little better. In fact the girl who took me around was really sweet and we had a connection with some activities that we both do that are not super common. I felt like she had been looking out for me. This was the best that I’ve felt at this house all week.

Corduroy was next and it was the oddest experience. Their skit was not funny at all, but all the sisters seemed to think it was. Maybe there were a lot of inside jokes or something. It was just a strange, weird experience. I don’t even remember the girl who took me around because I was so puzzled about the strange vibe.

Junie followed that and was not a favorite either. Again, the skit was not great (Annie set the bar pretty high) and I didn’t know when to laugh or not. The snacks were great however! The girl I talked to was sweet and admitted that the skit was sort of dumb. I like these girls but don’t really seem them as sisters.

Finally Ramona, A solid party – I was hungry and enjoyed their snacks! The girl who rushed me was a senior and she was polished and good at this, I could tell, but she didn’t seem bored with rush. The skit was good, but not great. I wish I had thought more about this house earlier.

Madeline’s skit was sweetly funny. I really like Madeline! Again, the sisterhood bond came through in every conversation.

Another long talk with Mom – she does more listening than talking so it is OK and I don’t feel like she is pushing me. My favorites are (in this order):
Annie
Madeline
Ramona
Junie
Pippi
Corduroy

More advice from Mom: stay very, very open minded and thoughtful all the way through prefs and to not close my mind or heart to any of these on my list. I think she is maybe disappointed about Pippi, but she doesn’t want to make me feel bad. I’m really getting ready for this to be done.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
More advice from Mom: stay very, very open minded and thoughtful all the way through prefs and to not close my mind or heart to any of these on my list. I think she is maybe disappointed about Pippi, but she doesn’t want to make me feel bad. I’m really getting ready for this to be done.
Your mom is batting a thousand! Great advice again.

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot
Old 09-11-2013, 07:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Wise mother has raised a thoughtful and sweet daughter. Love your story and wishing you well!!
Old 09-11-2013, 08:21 PM
GreekChat Member

In the interest of moving this along and getting me back to my English paper...

Prefs

Oh no... I can’t believe this is happening.

Pippi, Corduroy and Ramona

I can’t believe it. I did not get invited back to Annie or Madeline. I text my mom and we have a long, long text chat. I really feel like dropping out. I can’t believe this – Annie just seemed like the one for me and Madeline would have been perfect too, but Annie is where I belong.

I feel like I’m not being true to myself or anyone else to try to pretend that any of these others could work out. I promised that I would stay open minded and I guess now that just means that I will be open minded with the choices that have available to me, but I really just want to curl up and cry.

I guess I will go to prefs at Pippi, Ramona and Corduroy and we’ll see how it goes, I really just want to go home. I feel so stupid for thinking that they liked me. I know that people will say that they did like me, they just liked other girls more or in a different way but it still feels crappy. And I feel like I’m the only unhappy person around here. Everyone else seems to be doing fine. How is that possible?
Old 09-11-2013, 08:25 PM
Super Moderator

Oh no!!!
Old 09-11-2013, 08:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I guess I will go to prefs at Pippi, Ramona and Corduroy and we’ll see how it goes, I really just want to go home. I feel so stupid for thinking that they liked me. I know that people will say that they did like me, they just liked other girls more or in a different way but it still feels crappy. And I feel like I’m the only unhappy person around here. Everyone else seems to be doing fine. How is that possible?
Many of us know how crappy it feels. I'm sorry that it hurts so much. There are other PNMs who feel bad too, remember the girl from high school who only had one at 6 day parties? They may be crying behind closed doors. I highly recommend attending pref parties!

ETA: Just realized that this wasn't a real time story. Please forgive me. Leaving my response up anyway.

Old 09-11-2013, 08:30 PM
GreekChat Member

I know you are disappointed, but don't write Pippa off yet. They assigned a girl to you last round with whom they hoped you would click. I believe they really like you. In most chapters, inviting a legacy to preference means they see her as a sister. So Pippa, Corduroy and Ramona did like you more than the women they didn't invite back! :-)

There are women on your campus who would love to have invitations to those chapters. Keep an open mind and go into those pref parties knowing that those women wanted you back.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Deep breaths. You are NOT the only unhappy person, and everyone else is NOT doing fine. I'm assuming with this number of sororities they're decently large? If so, you have met a very small percentage of the chapter. I am 100% sure you are kind, mature, and interesting enough to find a great group of girls in any of these chapters that you click with. I know it feels crappy, and it's normal for you to react that way, but there are things you can do to make things better more quickly.

During recruitment, every single chapter has one goal: make you fall in love with us. Regardless of how we feel about each PNM, we want her to leave feeling totally comfortable and at home with our ladies. If it's a girl we're not necessarily interested in, maybe she has a friend or roommate we really like and we don't want her to have any negative impressions of us. Maybe we just want all the future NMs to have positive opinions of us. Some chapters are exceedingly good at this, but others just aren't. Once recruitment is over and the polish and shine goes away, many things change.

At this point, the best thing you can do is pick yourself up, go into those pref parties like these are the only three chapters on campus, and truly commit to your new member education. Make a serious effort to bond with your pledge class and the older sisters.

The way we do formal recruitment can be annoying and superficial at times, but it operates under the assumption that a bid from any chapter on campus is an honor. Cry it out if that's your thing, do some thinking, and when you realize this is true you'll have a great time on bid day.

Last edited by justgo_withit; 09-11-2013 at 08:45 PM.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Go, Go, Go, to those Pref Parties!
Old 09-11-2013, 10:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Dying to know what happens. Which lucky chapter will have you as a new sister?