GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,373
0 members and 1,373 guests
No Members online

Old 03-13-2014, 10:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalGirl View Post
I'm confused. Is "anymore" no longer a word?

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/anymore
It's still a word - it just wasn't the right word(s) for the sentence.

anymore = in the recent or present period of time

any more = some additional amount
Old 03-13-2014, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciencewoman View Post
This is a very good lesson for winter recruitment.
Winter rush is all about Darwinism. It's so nice to have more to go on than a resume and glowing recs from Mummy and friends (none of whom have hung out with her after 8 pm since she was on elementary school).
Old 03-13-2014, 02:36 PM
GreekChat Member

When something like over confidence and arrogance happens don't you want to tell that group that since they are definitely going to get a bid from XYZ they should make sure the actives know that since you can have your pick of any house on campus you must insist that all of your group receive bids or you will decline en masse. Also be sure to explain that you think National rules about drinking and smoking in letters are silly and you are not going to put up with that. As a test of confidence they should all do the walk of shame before bid night and if that conflicts with a rush activity don't worry about it as the chapter will see this as a statement of your coolness.
Old 03-13-2014, 06:13 PM
GreekChat Member

One of my colleagues was telling me his daughter will be going to an SEC school with a notoriously tough recruitment. I asked if she was going to rush (as I would have offered to write a rec) and he said, "Yeah, she's going to be an XYZ".

I warned him that it wasn't that simple, and he explained that his mother was an XYZ, that he has a cousin in the XYZ National HQ, and that his daughter's BFF from HS has a sister who is an XYZ at this school. He said, "She has it locked down."

Well, OK then. I'll just mosey along...

Overconfident parents breed overconfident PNMs.

Old 03-13-2014, 06:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveMaroon View Post
One of my colleagues was telling me his daughter will be going to an SEC school with a notoriously tough recruitment. I asked if she was going to rush (as I would have offered to write a rec) and he said, "Yeah, she's going to be an XYZ".

I warned him that it wasn't that simple, and he explained that his mother was an XYZ, that he has a cousin in the XYZ National HQ, and that his daughter's BFF from HS has a sister who is an XYZ at this school. He said, "She has it locked down."

Please let us know how that one turns out.
Old 03-14-2014, 12:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
Please let us know how that one turns out.
I'm "dittoing" this!

Old 03-14-2014, 07:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Oh.my.stars . . . be prepared for him to look chagrined around skit night. Might want to prepare that, "lucky to be Greek at all at that school" talk.
Old 03-14-2014, 07:39 AM
Super Moderator

I was at a high school recently and overheard a student saying that she would be rushing at Auburn. I said, "Do you have your recommendations in line?" and she replied dismissively, "Oh, no. I'm a legacy to 7 sororities."

OK, chica. You're out-of-state, I bet you're not a true legacy to 7, and there are probably at least 800 drop-dead-gorgeous girls rushing and you are at the other end of that spectrum, I fear. I hope a sorority is looking for a PNM with a high GPA.

Last edited by carnation; 03-14-2014 at 08:36 AM.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:31 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:

About 8 years ago I had this exact same conversation with my son's basketball coach. Almost verbatim. So I was anxious to spy baby sister's name in the published bid list. I have been checking every year since that rush, and guess what? Baby sister's name has not appeared. Baby sister should be about 27 now.
Old 03-14-2014, 09:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Winter rush is all about Darwinism. It's so nice to have more to go on than a resume and glowing recs from Mummy and friends (none of whom have hung out with her after 8 pm since she was on elementary school).
I want to see a winter PNM add "Total Campus Notoriety" to her resume achievements list.

Along with, "I have this locked down."
Old 03-14-2014, 09:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
I was at a high school recently and overheard a student saying that she would be rushing at Auburn. I said, "Do you have your recommendations in line?" and she replied dismissively, "Oh, no. I'm a legacy to 7 sororities."

OK, chica. You're out-of-state, I bet you're not a true legacy to 7, and there are probably at least 800 drop-dead-gorgeous girls rushing and you are at the other end of that spectrum, I fear. I hope a sorority is looking for a PNM with a high GPA.
We should get GreekChat pamphlets printed to hand out to these folks. I'm thinking something with a snazzy title like "So You're Going Through Recruitment at an SEC School: Why You're Not a Special Snowflake and How You Can Avoid Total Heartbreak"
Old 03-14-2014, 10:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post

Maybe she has six older sisters and her mom was Greek?
Old 03-14-2014, 10:39 AM
Super Moderator

Haha, sounds like when my 7th daughter rushed but she was only a legacy to 5 (4 of her sisters belonged to 2 sororities). I've heard this girl say that she only has a brother, though, and I'm betting she's counting cousins or aunts.
Old 03-14-2014, 11:32 AM
GreekChat Member

And it would depend on the organizations' legacy policies. Some include grandmothers; others don't. Then when you take into account step-mothers, step-sisters, etc.:

A PNM could have a mother, a step-mother, a (full) sister, step-sister, half-sister, and 2 grandmothers, each a member of a different sorority (assuming each relative falls under their respective org's legacy policy).

I'm not saying it's common, and probably not even very likely, but it's possible.
Old 03-14-2014, 11:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by chi-o_cat View Post
And it would depend on the organizations' legacy policies. Some include grandmothers; others don't. Then when you take into account step-mothers, step-sisters, etc.:

A PNM could have a mother, a step-mother, a (full) sister, step-sister, half-sister, and 2 grandmothers, each a member of a different sorority (assuming each relative falls under their respective org's legacy policy).

I'm not saying it's common, and probably not even very likely, but it's possible.
Right, but I think it's FAR more common for PNM's to think they are a legacy through an aunt or a cousin.