GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,285
1 members and 1,284 guests
No Members online

Old 01-17-2008, 12:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Possible dilema

Ok, so I'm pretty confused about my situation, and I hope i can get some help here.

Spring 2007 I rushed a fraternity, accepted the bid, and started the pledge activities. Now, about a week or 2 into pledging, i was informed i couldnt continue the rest of the semester because of GPA issues. I was pretty upset about the deal, but figured I'd get my GPA up by either fall 07 or spring 08 at the latest. Well, come fall semester, i had to transfer out of my school and go to comm. college. I'll be back at my university in Fall 08, but many of the brothers of that frat will be gone, and i wont know the new ones. Am I allowed to re-rush each fraternity, or do I basically have to stick with the one i was already pledging?

And a possible curveball, theres a small chance that i transfer to another school, if they don't have this particular fraternity, I can basically rush whoever?

If these are stupid questions, I'm sorry.. go easy on me
Old 01-17-2008, 07:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Since you were never initiated, you are not bound to any fraternity, and they are not bound to you. You are free to rush whatever fraternity you want, and the fraternity you began pledging is free to accept or reject you.
Old 01-17-2008, 09:46 AM
GreekChat Member

AlphaFrog is entirely correct. Fraternities are pretty open when it comes to this sort of thing, and it's important for you to know that the situation you describe is not unusual. Be confident. When you talk to members, don't lie but if you're asked about the fraternity you pledged just say, "I didn't make my grades, but I'm solid academically now." Everyone understands that. One more bit of advice: don't gossip about the fraternity you pledged the first time. In fact, say as little as possible about them. It has to do with whether or not you seem trustworthy.
Old 01-24-2008, 02:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Tough call,

Did you go through any ceremony, or was it merely that you paid your pledge fees and started going to pledge ed? I know no other fraternities would bar you if you performed a secret ritual and chose to place that aside, but you need to ask yourself, am I comfortable rushing fraternities I chose not to be a part of prior, especially if any esoteric ritual was involved.

Thomas
Old 01-24-2008, 04:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian View Post
Tough call,

Did you go through any ceremony, or was it merely that you paid your pledge fees and started going to pledge ed? I know no other fraternities would bar you if you performed a secret ritual and chose to place that aside, but you need to ask yourself, am I comfortable rushing fraternities I chose not to be a part of prior, especially if any esoteric ritual was involved.

Thomas
Note, he was only way a 2 week Pledge, so no ritual was involved.

Fraternities are not as strict as Sororities in depledging.

If GPA was the only problem, I wonder how with in a two week time could you be found grade defecient?

Your high school transcript would be on file with the Administration Office. You would not be admitted to the school if it was not up to snuff. The GLO would be able to find it out also.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 01-28-2008, 07:47 PM
GreekChat Member

He could've pledged second semester or second year or been dropped after the group he pledged with saw his grades on his first tests.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by techzbt View Post
He could've pledged second semester or second year or been dropped after the group he pledged with saw his grades on his first tests.
He said that he pledged Spring semester. It's possible that the fraternity handed out bids first, then checked grades later.