GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,425
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, zenjaminusasdz5
» Online Users: 2,517
2 members and 2,515 guests
chi-o_cat, LaneSig

Old 06-13-2006, 04:30 AM
GreekChat Member

snap bidding

what is it?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-13-2006, 05:31 AM
GreekChat Member

I did a google search and got this:

"A formal invitation to join a chapter that did not fill its formal recruitment quota. Only PNMs (prospective new members) that participated in formal recruitment may receive a Snap Bid."

Say Renee Rushee is at State University. They have these sororities:
Tri-Alpha
Beta Beta
Tri-Chi
XYZ
ABC
Epsilon Upsilon

On the last day of recruitment, Renee prefs two houses, Beta Beta, and Epsilon Upsilon. She has been dropped the day before pref day by Tri-Alpha. She also ranks Tri-Alpha on her pref list, despite not going there for pref day.

Unfortunately, Renee does not recieve a bid from either house (BB or EY). However, Tri-Alpha does not make quota. Renee only went to Tri-Alpha 4/5 days. However, they have decided that among the PMNs that did not recieve bids, they would like to at this point, extend Renee Rushee a bid.

Renee will know that she is a snap bid, because it was not one of the houses she went to on pref day. Tri-Alpha's exec knows, as well as who ever did the bid matching. However, unless Renee tells her new pledge sisters, no one else will know she was a snap bid.

here's an older thread that covers snap bidding:
http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...postid=1057684
Old 06-13-2006, 05:37 AM
GreekChat Member

i can't made edit work, but heres another good snap bid thread: http://greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=36692
Old 06-13-2006, 09:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfpnm
what is it?
I had this situation come up with several of my PNMs when I was a recruitment counselor.

For your purposes--- let's say you go through UCF recruitment and attend every day of recruitment. On Bid Day morning, you may get a phone call from your recruitment counselor, who regretfully must inform you that you did not receive an invitation from the sororities for which you attended preferentials. However, she has a bit of good news. Another sorority (possibly more than one!) has expressed interest in you and wants to offer you a Bid today. If you accept, you attend Bid Day and become a member of this sorority.

If you don't accept, you don't attend Bid Day and become a member of that sorority. You may not go through recruitment again for a full calendar year.

However, let's say you decline those offers. That's not to say you won't continue to get phone calls over that day or the next day with offers from other sororities. They have spots to fill, and perhaps they have a few left due to someone not accepting her bid, etc.

Alternatively, let's say you dropped out of recriutment after Day "X." It is still a possibility that your recruitment counselor will call you on Bid Day morning to give you the news that one or more sororities really liked you and wants to offer you a bid this morning so that you can attend Bid Day and join in on the festivities.

Don't worry too much about this process. Take this summer to line up recommendations, get to know about the UCF sororities and to invest some time in being with friends, taking summer classes (if applicable) and getting involved in a meaningful community project. When recruitment rolls around, take the week to be yourself, make new friends and enjoy the recruitment process. Your recruitment counselor will be there every step of the way to help guide you and answer any questions.
Old 06-13-2006, 09:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adpiucf
If you don't accept, you don't attend Bid Day and become a member of that sorority. You may not go through recruitment again for a full calendar year.
Why can't she go through recruitment again for a full calendar year? Unless she's getting a snap bid from one of the sororities she listed on her bid card, then yeah, I can understand that, but if she didn't list them, then it wouldn't be a snap bid to begin with....so why is she locked out of COBs or informal recruitment the following semester?
Old 06-13-2006, 09:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXiD670
Why can't she go through recruitment again for a full calendar year? Unless she's getting a snap bid from one of the sororities she listed on her bid card, then yeah, I can understand that, but if she didn't list them, then it wouldn't be a snap bid to begin with....so why is she locked out of COBs or informal recruitment the following semester?
Because she signed a bid card which states that if you're offered a bid, any bid, you can't recruit.

I think
Old 06-13-2006, 10:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille
Because she signed a bid card which states that if you're offered a bid, any bid, you can't recruit.

I think
First I want to say I worded my previous post incorrectly. What I meant to say was, "...if she DID list them, then it wouldn't be a snap bid...". Trying to convey that I thought a snap bid could only come from a sorority you DID NOT list on your preference list, b/c otherwise it would be a match and it wouldn't have to go to the snap bid process. Sorry.

What I should have said was that I thought it wasn't if you RECEIVED a bid that prevented you from going through recruitment for a whole 'nother year, but rather it was if you ACCEPTED a bid.
Old 06-13-2006, 10:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AZ-AlphaXi
Quote:
Originally Posted by AXiD670
First I want to say I worded my previous post incorrectly. What I meant to say was, "...if she DID list them, then it wouldn't be a snap bid...". Trying to convey that I thought a snap bid could only come from a sorority you DID NOT list on your preference list, b/c otherwise it would be a match and it wouldn't have to go to the snap bid process. Sorry.

What I should have said was that I thought it wasn't if you RECEIVED a bid that prevented you from going through recruitment for a whole 'nother year, but rather it was if you ACCEPTED a bid.
that's my understanding as well.... if you receive a bid from one of the chapters you listed on your preference card, then you are bound to that chapter's bid for 1 year. If you receive and DO NOT accept a snap bid or a COB bid then you can continue to pursue membership in an NPC group.
Old 06-13-2006, 10:19 AM
GreekChat Member

My understanding (and I could be wrong!) is that a snap bid comes from a chapter not listed on your bid card, but given that you signed a bid card after prefs, and you do not accept any bids offered, then you may not participate in any recruitment until the next school year. Does anyone have a Green Book?
Old 06-13-2006, 10:21 AM
GreekChat Member

This is probably right. I was just guessing based on the previous statements.

I never get this bid stuff right anyway
Old 06-13-2006, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adpiucf
My understanding (and I could be wrong!) is that a snap bid comes from a chapter not listed on your bid card, but given that you signed a bid card after prefs, and you do not accept any bids offered, then you may not participate in any recruitment until the next school year. Does anyone have a Green Book?
That's incorrect. If you put down A, B & C on your bid card and got offered bids from X, Y, and Z, no one is bound to anyone. You never said you would accept that bid from X, Y, or Z. P or Q can come up to you a month after rush and offer you a bid and you can take it.
Old 06-13-2006, 10:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to squirrely girl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille

I never get this bid stuff right anyway
don't feel bad - some of this bid stuff might as well be linear equations to me

- marissa
A GD
Old 06-13-2006, 11:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Yeah but I'm an alumna this year so I really should be getting that down by now.
Old 06-13-2006, 02:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ADPi Conniebama
I deal with this every year

Snap bidding will go more by the wayside with these new release figures.

From what I understand a sorority cannot snap bid a pm that they have released earlier. In otherwords if alpha released sara on day 2 then they cannot invite her back on day 4, nor can they snap bid her on bid day. Only if the pm releases the sorority can she return to a later party to keep her options open, or accept a bid from whoever wants to offer her a bid.

If the pm released the sorority then the sorority could still possibly have the pm on their bid list therefore, if the pm went through the entire recruitment process and did not single intentional preferance on the last day and did not match to the sororities she preffed then they are eligable for snap bidding or quota additions.

If she was not offered a bid by here bid card choices then she is a "free agent" for cor's or "snap bidding"
Old 06-14-2006, 02:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADPi Conniebama
Snap bidding will go more by the wayside with these new release figures.

From what I understand a sorority cannot snap bid a pm that they have released earlier. In otherwords if alpha released sara on day 2 then they cannot invite her back on day 4, nor can they snap bid her on bid day. Only if the pm releases the sorority can she return to a later party to keep her options open, or accept a bid from whoever wants to offer her a bid.

If the pm released the sorority then the sorority could still possibly have the pm on their bid list therefore, if the pm went through the entire recruitment process and did not single intentional preferance on the last day and did not match to the sororities she preffed then they are eligable for snap bidding or quota additions.

If she was not offered a bid by here bid card choices then she is a "free agent" for cor's or "snap bidding"
Makes sense to me.

I know if I were a rushee and I was dropped from XYZ on day 2 and then suddenly on bid day they wanted to snap bid me I'd be a little weary. For me personally, I'd be thinking "wait I wasn't good enough a couple days ago and now I am".

It would be different if I released them.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt