GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Omega > Omega Psi Phi

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,326
0 members and 1,326 guests
No Members online

Old 07-13-2004, 11:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Bush's snub of the NAACP proves just how petty he really is.

It seems Bush didn't want to speak @ the NAACP's convention b/c in his words things they said about him. If I'm not mistaking any criticism that the NAACP had of Bush was about policy and not personal, I believe his decision to skip the covention further illustrates how petty and mean spirtied he can be. I quess Bush's inability to accept citicism is why he refuses to attend any of the funerals of fallen U.S troops who died in a war that is a result of his over blown ego.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-13-2004, 12:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs down NAACP Chairman Compares Republicans to Terrorists

I posted this in the News and Politics Forum..but for the sake of discussion..I'm posting here too.

Now with an organization espousing such nonsense..why would GWB give them the time of day??? In one vein I think Bush could have sent a video, taped statement or something LOL..but I really wouldn't want to walk into a meeting with people that clearly don't want to really "hear" what I had to say.

http://www.cnsnews.com/Politics/Arc...L20040603a.html

Washington (CNSNews.com) - In remarks to hundreds of cheering liberal activists Wednesday, NAACP Chairman Julian Bond singled out Republicans as enemies of black Americans and compared conservatives to the terrorist Taliban who once ruled Afghanistan.

"Their idea of equal rights is the American flag and the Confederate swastika flying side by side," Bond told a cheering audience. "They've written a new constitution for Iraq and ignore the Constitution here at home. They draw their most rabid supporters from the Taliban wing of American politics. Now they want to write bigotry back into the Constitution."
Old 07-14-2004, 01:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: NAACP Chairman Compares Republicans to Terrorists

Quote:
Originally posted by Love_Spell_6
In one vein I think Bush could have sent a video, taped statement or something LOL..
Bingo. But if the president of the US is afraid to face a hostile crowd in an election year, what would he do if faced with real danger? He didn't have problems facing the NAACP when he was running for election, although they didn't like him then either.

But yes, he could have stuck to the scheduling conflict story and sent a video. Then the onus would have been on the NAACP to show it, not on Bush because he could have claimed that he tried to accomodate them. He needs to fire his campaign advisors, because this could be the straw to cause him to lose the election.
Reaffirmed: Glen Ellyn Area Alumnae
All in the MIGHTY MIDWEST REGION!
Old 07-14-2004, 08:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: NAACP Chairman Compares Republicans to Terrorists

Quote:
Originally posted by ladygreek
Bingo. But if the president of the US is afraid to face a hostile crowd in an election year, what would he do if faced with real danger? He didn't have problems facing the NAACP when he was running for election, although they didn't like him then either.

But yes, he could have stuck to the scheduling conflict story and sent a video. Then the onus would have been on the NAACP to show it, not on Bush because he could have claimed that he tried to accomodate them. He needs to fire his campaign advisors, because this could be the straw to cause him to lose the election.
Puuhhhleease!! Bush isn't going to win or lose the election based on him not going. Its not about facing a hostile crowd...its about facing a closed minded crowd that will only use this as an opportunity to vent their frustrations to the President. I don't take the NAACP seriously anymore...and its obvious that many Americans don't.
Old 07-14-2004, 09:06 AM
GreekChat Member

I heard Mr. Bush is planning to speak before the Urban League's annual convention (August/Detroit?). Pragmatically, he probably can only hope to increase on the 8 percent AfAm vote he got in 2K, by a few percentage points. The NAACP situation was handled badly for a candidate, let alone the sitting president. I think Bush's strategy for AfAm voting interests involves playing to issues some polls say have resonance within our community, i.e., the ban on gay marriage, school vouchers, etc...

If memory serves, the elder Bush (41) got about 10-11 percent of the AfAm vote.

...are you registered? are your family, friends?
~ Luke 19:10
Old 07-14-2004, 10:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs down

I think Bush treated the NAACP just like he treats all black people which is to avoid them and their concerns. Since he stole the election in 2000 I don't think he has ever (since being President)attended an NAACP convention.
Old 07-14-2004, 11:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AXEAM
I think Bush treated the NAACP just like he treats all black people which is to avoid them and their concerns. Since he stole the election in 2000 I don't think he has ever (since being President)attended an NAACP convention.
I love reading your posts! You make me laugh bruh LOL! In your opinion..what exactly should President Bush do to address the concerns of black folk.. and are you aware that the President won every single re-recount done? ... even by those that dont like him? Enough of the Selected vs Elected stuff...its old...folks need to moveon.org LOL

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- A comprehensive study of the 2000 presidential election in Florida suggests that if the U.S. Supreme Court had allowed a statewide vote recount to proceed, Republican candidate George W. Bush would still have been elected president.

http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2001/flo...ries/main.html
Old 07-14-2004, 11:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Remember Sis the supreme court stop the re-count in Florida.
Old 07-14-2004, 11:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Remember Sis the supreme court stop the re-count in Florida.
Yep I remember..but this article addressed what would have happened had the recount been allowed...Gore would have still lost.
Old 07-14-2004, 11:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Too bad the GOP was too scared to let the recount go on, then we would have this issue settled.

Last edited by AXEAM; 07-14-2004 at 01:03 PM.
Old 07-14-2004, 11:34 AM

Send a message via AIM to Jill1228
Wink

He didn't steal the election! His brother bought the state of Florida for him!

Quote:
Old 07-14-2004, 11:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Re: NAACP Chairman Compares Republicans to Terrorists

Quote:
Puuhhhleease!! Bush isn't going to win or lose the election based on him not going. Its not about facing a hostile crowd...its about facing a closed minded crowd that will only use this as an opportunity to vent their frustrations to the President. I don't take the NAACP seriously anymore...and its obvious that many Americans don't.
Uh, this has caused a lot of backlash and the media and Dems are jumping on it. And you'd better believe it will be a topic of discussion in Vegas at our Social Action activites. So I beg to differ but this is bigger than maybe you realize.

The president of the US should be able to face ANY kind of crowd. Hell, he speaks to white close-minded people all the time. They're called Bush supporters.
Reaffirmed: Glen Ellyn Area Alumnae
All in the MIGHTY MIDWEST REGION!
Old 07-14-2004, 12:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: NAACP Chairman Compares Republicans to Terrorists

Soror, weren't there allegations that dead people were voting and that live people who were eligible were told they were not? This article addresses only the recount and the hanging chads; there were other irregularities in the Florida election that I haven't seen any resolution for. If you have anything that addresses those, please post!

Quote:
I posted this in the News and Politics Forum..but for the sake of discussion..I'm posting here too.

Now with an organization espousing such nonsense..why would GWB give them the time of day??? In one vein I think Bush could have sent a video, taped statement or something LOL..but I really wouldn't want to walk into a meeting with people that clearly don't want to really "hear" what I had to say.

http://www.cnsnews.com/Politics/Arc...L20040603a.html

Washington (CNSNews.com) - In remarks to hundreds of cheering liberal activists Wednesday, NAACP Chairman Julian Bond singled out Republicans as enemies of black Americans and compared conservatives to the terrorist Taliban who once ruled Afghanistan.

"Their idea of equal rights is the American flag and the Confederate swastika flying side by side," Bond told a cheering audience. "They've written a new constitution for Iraq and ignore the Constitution here at home. They draw their most rabid supporters from the Taliban wing of American politics. Now they want to write bigotry back into the Constitution."
Old 07-14-2004, 12:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: I can't sleep at night when you are on my mind. Billie Womack is on the radio saying if you think your lonely now... what a minute that is too deep. I have to change the station...
Send a message via AIM to reddawn18 Send a message via Yahoo to reddawn18
Quote:
I don't think he attended while he was governor.

If I was GWB to prove the naysayers wrong, I would have made an appearance. If the NAACP compares him to a terrorist then he needs to step up to the plate and prove them wrong. Prove the AfAm community wrong with actions and policies that could work in both of our favors.
Old 07-14-2004, 12:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: I can't sleep at night when you are on my mind. Billie Womack is on the radio saying if you think your lonely now... what a minute that is too deep. I have to change the station...
Send a message via AIM to reddawn18 Send a message via Yahoo to reddawn18
Re: Re: Re: Re: NAACP Chairman Compares Republicans to Terrorists

Quote:
Originally posted by ladygreek
Uh, this has caused a lot of backlash and the media and Dems are jumping on it. And you'd better believe it will be a topic of discussion in Vegas at our Social Action activites. So I beg to differ but this is bigger than maybe you realize.

The president of the US should be able to face ANY kind of crowd. Hell, he speaks to white close-minded people all the time. They're called Bush supporters.
Thank you Lady Greek. He should have at least sent a statement.