GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,066
0 members and 2,066 guests
No Members online

Old 08-20-2003, 10:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Rushing at Cornell in the Spring!

We have deferred recruitment at Cornell, which means we rush in January after winter break. After reading everyone's rush threads I am so anxious! Does anyone know what recruitment at Cornell is like?

We have the following sororities:
Alpha Chi Omega
Alpha Epsilon Phi
Alpha Omicron Pi
Alpha Phi
Delta Delta Delta
Delta Gamma
Delta Phi Epsilon
Kappa Alpha Theta
Kappa Delta
Kappa Kappa Gamma
Pi Beta Phi
Sigma Delta Tau

~Nellie
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-20-2003, 10:47 PM
GreekChat Member

no clue about rush at Cornell, but everytime i hear about the KD chapter there all I can think about is the Rappin' Granny (from the Wedding Singer) - she went to Cornell and was the president of the KD chapter there waaaaaaay long ago. They (at least used to) have a funny write up about her on their webpage.

/hijack
Old 08-20-2003, 11:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Hey Cornellie!

I am in a sorority at Cornell and I LOVE IT! The best advice I can give you is to attend the sorority open houses in the fall. That way you can get a little feel for the houses before rush. Greek Life is very big on campus especially second semester. During the fall semester, most parties are open to everyone...however in the spring parties are limited to the greek system and specific houses. Sorority sisters are not suppose to "recruit" freshman in the fall by saying what house we are in or by inviting freshman to their house. So, it is hard to get a feel for the greek system until the spring. Believe me, there is a place for everyone in the greek system at Cornell...you will find your home and love it!
Old 08-20-2003, 11:06 PM
GreekChat Member

I didn't go to Cornell in Ithaca, but I did attend in the Spring of 2002 (the AAP's Rome Program). Relative to the other Ivies, Cornell's rush seems to be more like a Southern or Midwestern school. My roomie was Greek at Cornell, along with about 1/4 of the program--they were all great representatives of their respective groups!
Old 08-20-2003, 11:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to breathesgelatin Send a message via AIM to breathesgelatin Send a message via MSN to breathesgelatin Send a message via Yahoo to breathesgelatin
hahahah! Who's ready for the "Who's rushing in the spring???" thread...

J/K... not quite ready for that yet!
Good luck, cornellie!
Old 08-21-2003, 12:32 AM
GreekChat Member

My ex-boyfriend went to Cornell, but he wasn't exactly the Greek type. I'd love to hear about rush at Cornell, though.
Old 08-21-2003, 09:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ZTAMich
My guy went to Cornell (class of '00) and tho he wasn't in a social fraternity I learned a lot about greek life through his friends. Cornell was really what introduced me to greek life and made me want to rush when I got to college. But I certainly hope you will rush and not forget to share your story with us on greekchat if you can Best of luck to you!!
Old 08-22-2003, 12:22 AM

Welcome to GC, Cornellie!

My sister is a Kappa from Cornell and she had a fantastic time there (well, as fantastic as a pre-med student at an Ivy can have! )

When she rushed in the early nineties, I remember that she told me it was more competitive than she had expected. Almost like a southern school, as Munchkin said. The Greek system is really strong there, too, from what I understand.
Old 08-22-2003, 12:52 AM
GreekChat Member

On of our sisters on GC is from the Epsilon chapter of Alpha Omicron Pi...(Cornell) How cool! It's AOcutiePi2002! Maybe she can let us know what recruitment at Cornell is like!
Old 08-22-2003, 09:15 AM
GreekChat Member

CU recruitment

HI Cornellie:

I am also a member of the Cornell Greek community. I totally agree with Cornell that you should come to the open house events in the fall for all houses, so you can get a general feel before rush.

Rush here is a sometimes long but exciting process, and it will help you find the place that is for you! I know I did

Good luck first semester!

CUGreek

GO BIG RED!!!!
Old 08-22-2003, 10:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Glad you are rushing nellie. I'm a guy but i have friends in all of the houses so i'll try and give you as best an opinion as possible.

Hey - quick question for you other CU people. Since one sorority left last year, is another coming to cornell?

You can't go wrong with any of the 12 houses, they each have a different flavor and something unique to offer.

Alpha Chi Omega - huge part of house is from Long Island and they often come off as jappy, but you will find amazing women in this house who hold leadership positions across campus. Large percentage of Jewish women, but they are still diverse.
Alpha Epsilon Phi - great, beautiful group of women. Mostly Jewish and from what my friends tell me, they all celebrate jewish traditions together. of course there are non-Jews but just thought you should know.
Alpha Omicron Pi - very sweet down to earth girls. I haven't met an AOPi who wasn't sweet and friendly
Alpha Phi - this house is buzzing with energy. When my friend told me they were struggling a few years ago I never would've believed it. friendly, bubbly amazing house.
Delta Delta Delta - i actually don't know any tridelts, but from what i've seen they are very friendly down to earth girls
Delta Gamma - beautiful girls, beautiful house and smart girls, what more could a guy want? great house full of energy, one of the tops of campus
Delta Phi Epsilon - they are smallish at the moment but they're rebuilding and the new group of girls they have are amazing, strong women. seems to be following in the footsteps of alpha phi
Kappa Alpha Theta - these women exemplify what sorority women should strive for - they are extremely diverse and good at everything they do. during rush everyone wants to be a theta, and they're all very nice too!
Kappa Delta - down to earth, fun girls. haven't met a KD who isn't fun and energetic
Kappa Kappa Gamma - like DG, another house with beautiful women. no fraternity will turn down a mixer with the kappa's and all smart women to boot.
Pi Beta Phi - this house is often stereotyped as the athletic house which is a pretty accurate women. all the women i know there play sports of some sort. i heard they are trying to shed that image, but another well loved house
Sigma Delta Tau - another top house on campus with a huge portion of Jewish women. very strong beautiful girls. large percentage are in the hotel school for some reason.
Old 08-22-2003, 10:51 PM
GreekChat Member

CUFratGuy, which house are you in? I graduated from Brown in May, but I know a few Cornell frat guys. My roommate last spring was an Alpha Phi, and she was very proud of the progress her house had made.
Old 08-23-2003, 06:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Hi again cornellie,
Just wanted to add one more thing: in one of the earlier posts responding to your question a person used the word "j***y." While that word might be a part of current slang speech among some Cornell students, I'd suggest very strongly that you absolutely avoid using it, unless you are completely familiar with the word's history and all its possible connotations -- and unless you are aware of, and willing to take, the possible consequences of using it.
Have a great time at Cornell!
Old 08-23-2003, 06:18 PM

Send a message via AIM to Jill1228
I agree with that...
I am sure you didn't mean to be offensive but thems FIGHTIN' WORDS!

Quote:
Originally posted by exlurker
Hi again cornellie,
Just wanted to add one more thing: in one of the earlier posts responding to your question a person used the word "j***y." While that word might be a part of current slang speech among some Cornell students, I'd suggest very strongly that you absolutely avoid using it, unless you are completely familiar with the word's history and all its possible connotations -- and unless you are aware of, and willing to take, the possible consequences of using it.
Have a great time at Cornell!
Old 08-23-2003, 09:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to queequek
Quote:
Originally posted by Munchkin03
CUFratGuy, which house are you in? I graduated from Brown in May, but I know a few Cornell frat guys. My roommate last spring was an Alpha Phi, and she was very proud of the progress her house had made.
Hey Munchkin03, I didn't know you went to school at Brown! Which house are you in? I heard stories about Alpha Chi Omega and Kappa Alpha Theta (we also have a Charge at Brown).