GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,003
0 members and 1,003 guests
No Members online

Old 07-31-2017, 03:06 PM
GreekChat Member

PNM Pool question?

Hi all,

Curious to know if there were any ways around attending recruitment if I am from a college near a university with Greek Life?

I attend a private college with 300 people that is specifically tailored around my career path. I would have loved to attend this university with Greek life, but my college now was the perfect advancement for my career.

I've googled and searched forms but have not found any answers. The NPC manual says PNMs must be regularily matriculated in the institution, however, how does that work if the university has a Greek Life, but it is not directly affiliated with the university?

I was just curious because the NPC manual also says that no men are allowed joining recruitment, but I know some schools are allowing transgender women to rush (as I believe they should!!). Ultimately just wondering if there was a way around this for me and others like myself.

Last edited by ctarz; 07-31-2017 at 03:32 PM. Reason: Added
Old 07-31-2017, 03:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctarz View Post
Hi all,

Curious to know if there were any ways around attending recruitment if I am from a college near a university with Greek Life?

I attend a private college with 300 people that is specifically tailored around my career path. I would have loved to attend this university with Greek life, but my college now was the perfect advancement for my career.

I've googled and searched forms but have not found any answers. I will accept that the answer may be no, but I just wanted to see if I was missing anything.
I'm confused by your statement. Are you currently attending a college with no Greek Life, near a university that does have it? Unless there's a specific agreement in place between the two schools, the answer will be no. You must be a fully matriculated student of the university you want to go through recruitment at to participate in recruitment and receive a bid to an NPC sorority.
Old 07-31-2017, 04:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsongirl View Post
I'm confused by your statement. Are you currently attending a college with no Greek Life, near a university that does have it? Unless there's a specific agreement in place between the two schools, the answer will be no. You must be a fully matriculated student of the university you want to go through recruitment at to participate in recruitment and receive a bid to an NPC sorority.
So there has to be an agreement in place.

Okay that makes sense. Just wasn't sure how that would work. My school is a music business college where 95% of the students are boys, so that wouldn't happen lol.

Thanks!

Old 07-31-2017, 05:14 PM
GreekChat Member

The only thing I can think of in regards to this is the SUNY school system with nearby schools. I know some students at SUNY-ESF have joined service and academic-oriented fraternities and sororities at Syracuse University, which is right next door to it. If you are at a school like SUNY-ESF that has no Greek Life but, has involvement with the neighboring school, you may be able to go through recruitment. I would contact the Greek Life Office at the school where you would like to join. This is not a common question but, I am willing to bet that if it is a situation much like the one I mentioned above, this is not the first time the Greek Life Office has been asked. Good luck!
Old 07-31-2017, 05:26 PM
Super Moderator

As far as "regularly matriculated", they're usually talking about full time students.
Old 07-31-2017, 07:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Hi all,

I've googled and searched forms but have not found any answers. The NPC manual says PNMs must be regularily matriculated in the institution, however, how does that work if the university has a Greek Life, but it is not directly affiliated with the university?

I was just curious because the NPC manual also says that no men are allowed joining recruitment, but I know some schools are allowing transgender women to rush (as I believe they should!!). Ultimately just wondering if there was a way around this for me and others like myself.
Perhaps you might look into something like Beta Sigma Phi for community service... I am not sure what their policy on transgendered people is, though.
Old 07-31-2017, 09:39 PM
GreekChat Member

For the second part of your commented you added after I quoted it: there is no "way around" going through NPC recuritment. If you identify as a woman you can participate; if you identify as a man you cannot. I'm honestly not sure what gender non-binary people do but I've heard of them getting bids anecdotally.

Whether a trans woman would get a bid depends on campus culture, chapter policy, and national organization policy, and that's a whole other ball of wax.
Old 07-31-2017, 10:40 PM
Super Moderator

Your school may be part of a larger campus. We have a similar school in OKC at the ACM.

http://acm.uco.edu/

That school is an offshoot of UCO, which does have Greek Life. You'd be fine to rush at our main campus if you were an ACM student.

As far as the transgender community goes, a lot of our organizations are slowly adjusting to the new normal but most are adopting a policy of considering you eligible if you identify as the gender their organization serves. I'm afraid it's probably a much more complicated question for the non-binary set though.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 08-01-2017, 11:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DGTess
Quote:
(some snipped)

I suspect OP was using this as an example that the NPC manual may show there are some exceptions to rules.

In which case I will remind the OP that transgender women are women, so it's not a violation of the "no men" rule.