GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 2,114
3 members and 2,111 guests
LaneSig, Xidelt

Old 05-21-2013, 08:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Bid Day

I'm finishing my story tonight because I am impatient and hate it when people drag out their recruitment stories.
And once again, thanks for letting me tell my story. It's bringing back a lot of memories.

So bid day arrives and everybody is on pins and needles. I'm a little nervous because I didn't suicide but I still had my favorite. Not going to post how I filled out my bid card-mostly because I don't remember exactly how I completed it but also, I'm going to protect the names of the innocent.
That afternoon we're told to go back to our rooms and wait for the girls to bring our bids. They'll slip the bid cards under the door and we'll open them to find out where our new homes are. My roommate got hers first and mine seemed to take forever. Finally, it arrives and it was a bid from Bernadette, otherwise known as............................

Sisters in Wine and Blue

Pi Beta Phi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-21-2013, 08:44 PM
Super Moderator

YAY!!! Is it MS Alpha?
Old 05-21-2013, 08:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes, it is. How did you guess?
Old 05-21-2013, 08:48 PM
Super Moderator

I tried to think of which midsized, non-SEC university had Pi Phi chapters back in the day and then which one had about 9 groups!
Old 05-21-2013, 08:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Excellent guess.
I tried to make it hard, but some of you guys are waaay too smart for me to try and fool.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Great story! The one you planned on dropping at the start and couldn't ends up being The One.

Thanks for sharing (and so quickly!).

My recruitment story: My sorority membership changed my life.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Great story, thanks for sharing.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:07 PM
GreekChat Member

The one lesson that I learned from this experience is to be careful whose advice you listen to when making decisions that will affect you for the rest of your life. A couple of those "top" sororities didn't do so well for a few years. But it doesn't matter who is top, middle, or bottom. You have to be true to yourself. Tent talk is pretty ignorant and hidden agendas are at play. Most of us take getting cut during rush really personal, but we shouldn't. It's a system that isn't perfect and all you can do is try your best, be honest with yourself, and let it all work out.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:09 PM
Super Moderator

Too true! You have some fabulous points there!
Old 05-21-2013, 09:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Yay! I love a Pi Phi ending! And I love stories where the group you almost drop is the one you fall in love with later! Exclamation points!
Old 05-21-2013, 10:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Nice story and I also appreciate the quick updates. and Yes, without UC quota, back then it was harder for upperclasswoman to receive bids.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:03 AM
Super Moderator

Congratulations!! Thank you for sharing your story(especially in a timely manner!).
Old 05-22-2013, 10:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgoldengirl View Post
My roommate and the rest of the younger girls that I've been hanging with are invited back to only one party for Pref night. They've already made up their minds that they are going to suicide. They really have no choice.
I just need a technical point clarified. Would it really be a suicide bid if they only were invited to one party? I was always under the assumption that if the PM only had one party, they could only list one party. So these girls would still be available for snap bids? I guess what I'm really wondering is how the policy has changed since the time this story occurred until now. Did they even have QAs and snap bids in the 70s?
Old 05-22-2013, 11:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by limegreen View Post
Thanks for the story.

I just need a technical point clarified. Would it really be a suicide bid if they only were invited to one party? I was always under the assumption that if the PM only had one party, they could only list one party. So these girls would still be available for snap bids? I guess what I'm really wondering is how the policy has changed since the time this story occurred until now. Did they even have QAs and snap bids in the 70s?
No if they are invited to one party, it is not suicide or SIP as it is known now. They are not only intentionally choosing one party and are maximizing their options. They would have been available for snap bids. I have no clue when QA and snap bids were created as I'm part of the post RFM crowd.

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot
Old 05-22-2013, 12:34 PM
GreekChat Member

I know at the time that I pledged, there were no snap bids or QA's-at least at my college. And I believe, unless I'm crazy, that quota was determined by how many girls went through on the first day. If 270 girls signed up for rush, then quota was 30 girls for the 9 sororities.