GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Careers & Employment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,468
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, dizzycmaarleyy5
» Online Users: 1,462
0 members and 1,462 guests
No Members online

Old 04-17-2006, 04:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kddani

As for the pay thing that's been mentioned in this thread.... that's not a problem with your profession, that's a problem with your ability to manage your money.
Personally I find that there are tons of other jobs that are difficult out there. I would never say my job is harder or more difficult than anyone elses because I don't do their job, just like I don't assume that my problems are any more difficult than anyone elses. Everyone has problems.

What is offensive is assuming that people don't know how to manage their money. No where in any of the posts did ANYONE say that they had a problem managing their money. I said "if "someone was a bad budgeter it might be scary. I know people that get paychecks every other week who are bad with money.

Maybe try not to be so judgemental.

Last edited by AOII_LB93; 04-17-2006 at 04:12 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-17-2006, 04:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AOII_LB93
Personally there are tons of other jobs that are difficult out there. I would never say my job is harder or more difficult than anyone elses because I don't do their job, just like I don't assume that my problems are any more difficult than anyone elses. Everyone has problems.

What is offensive is assuming that people don't know how to manage their money. No where in any of the posts did ANYONE say that they had a problem managing their money. I said "if "someone was a bad budgeter it might be scary. I know people that get paychecks every other week who are bad with money.

Maybe try not to be so judgemental.
Maybe try not to read into something that's not there. This seemed to have been a general discussion.

I didn't say anyone in particular didn't know how to manage their money. Don't read into things. It was a general "you", as no one here had said in particular that they had a problem. But it sure seemed like you were citing it as a reason in support of teaching being more difficult than other professions- or else why bring it up? What I said is true. Not being able to handle your money is a personal issue, and has nothing to do with teaching. If you know you only get a paycheck 9 months out of the year, you either get another job for those three months or budget your money. I don't feel sorry for someone who knows that upfront, and I don't feel pity for them for not being able to deal with it. Sorry.

While you didn't say that your job was harder than anyone else's, someone else did say that teaching was "100x harder that most other professions".

I must say, I am curious as to what in particular those professions are and how "harder" is measured.
Old 04-17-2006, 04:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kddani
But it sure seemed like you were citing it as a reason in support of teaching being more difficult than other professions- or else why bring it up?
Maybe that is the problem with English that I don't find to be a problem in French...the general and ubiquitous "you". It's much easier to understand a person's meaning in a language where the general "people" is expressed differently than "you". I say this with all respect, when you (and I mean you personally) used "you"(apparently in the general sense) in the statement that I quoted, it looked like an attack.

And no, I was not citing is as a reason why a lot of people find teaching to be a difficult profession, it was in addition to explaining the qualifications to become a teacher in the state where I reside, a quip really. Like I said, there are many difficult jobs out there. Teaching is just one of them. I'm sure dealing with criminals on a daily basis isn't easy, nor is picking up a gun and defending one's country, being a doctor or nurse, nor is being a good parent.
Old 04-17-2006, 04:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AchtungBaby80
It might come as a surprise, but teachers regularly pull 11- or 12-hour days, then go home and do more lesson plans and get materials ready for the next day, grade papers, go to lots of professional development, parent-teacher conferences, and staff meetings, and somehow find time to get together make-up work for absent students, sponsor an extracurricular activity or two, meet with students who are behind, and maintain a personal life--and that's after standing on their feet and running around all day. I'm sure there are teachers out there who hit the door as soon as the last bell rings and who do nothing with their whole summers off, but 99% of the ones I know are still doing work while all their friends in other jobs get to go home and sit on their butts.
It might come as a surprise, but I worked as a preschool teacher during college, and did the job full-time for 6 months afterward.

It might come as a surprise, but both my mom and uncle were teachers. I also have quite a few friends in the profession. I have quite a bit of respect for those who do the job well, and am well-versed in the time commitments that teachers have on their plate.

It might come as a surprise, but plenty of other people (myself included) pull those days and longer at other jobs. Talk to construction workers, financial people, attorneys, journalists, publishing people, and people in many other professions. Long, hard hours, including time spent working at home, is not a characteristic unique to teachers.

It might come as a surprise, but nowhere in my post was an attack on teachers. I just think you were exaggerating quite a bit when you said that teachers work 100x harder than people at most professions.
Old 04-18-2006, 09:23 AM
GreekChat Member

*UPDATE*

Well, I recieved a call yesterday from a local bank looking for a teller, which really wouldn't be TERRIBLE, but I'm still trying to decide whether I want to quit since I'll be leaving in around 2 months. I've also been trying to figure out what I want to do since If i were to stay at my current job, I'll need to take a leave of absence for the summer/early fall; the company policy for personal leave of absences state that you can only have a leave for 30 days max; you can file for an extension,but that would be such a huge pain in the butt seeing as i'll be in MA; I ran into the woman that hired me for my current job and she said that if i ever need a job just to call her and she'll rehire me, which is great to have as a fall back. I'm really unsure right now as to what to do right now! I just don't want to quit, get another job, and then have to quit again ya know?! Oh well...I'll figure it out somehow.
Old 04-18-2006, 09:26 AM
GreekChat Member

I would vote for working as a teller over working in a grocery store any day. Looks much better on a resume, probably an overall better experience. If you're into banking or finance, a great way to potentially move up in the ranks of the bank.
Old 04-18-2006, 12:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Ooohhh YAY! Apparently Stephanie's pretty popular today, lol. I just got an interview lined up with Whole Foods for Thursday! I know it's still retail, but I llooveeee Whole foods! Plus, If i had to quit instead of taking a leave, i wouldnt feel THAT terrible about it.
Old 04-19-2006, 10:43 PM
Banned

Kddani has given you excellent advice.

If you want to work at Whole Foods for the rest of your life, then by all means... go for it. But, if you're looking to move onto a professional position in the future, she's right-- bank teller does look so much better on your resume.

I did a little research on Whole Foods (I shop there almost exclusively, btw) and did you know that the company pays its employees a pathetic average of $20,600 a year. Can you live on that? Is your time worth such poor wages?

Did you know that in one region-- the annual salary for full-time workers (ecept for meat cutters, bakers, buyers, and team leaders) ranges from $11,500 to $17,500! There are no cost of living increases, and no overtime.

They are not unionized except for one store in Madison, WI. Chances are, your local grocery chain pays much, much more if it's unionized.

Are you looking for a job or a career? That's the question you have to ask yourself.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:24 AM
GreekChat Member

I definetely think that kd has given me excellent advice, which i greatly appreciate! Right now I work almost full time (I'm pulling about 30ish hours a week) and if you were to add up my pay for a year, it would not even be 10k (and I am part of a Union). Since January, I've barely passed 2k. Keep in mind I'm going to school this fall, and I have an awesome job lined up for this summer (pay is much better, I can get certification in CPR, etc., plus, Im majoring in Ed, so It's good experience since it's camp counseling but is almost like a teaching position) so Im not looking for anything that's going to span more than a few months, and maybe if I'm able to keep it by just taking a leave, a weekend or two every month since the school I plan on attending is in a pretty small town (meaning not alot of job opportunities). I did call the woman from the bank and am going in for an interview, so who knows, but I would feel bad about taking a job and then having to quit in just a few months; that's why I think Retail is probably the better route, seeing as people tend to come and go and it really wouldn't be a big deal.

Oh well...I guess we'll see right???
Thanks for the help yall, and I'll keep yall updated!
Old 04-23-2006, 11:53 AM
GreekChat Member

ok...so basically, this was how my whole foods interview went: I go in, and she had just finished up with her previous interview. So she asks me all these fun questions (actually, she was a little rude, but whatever) and then she tells me that she's doing all these interviews for these positions, but there's no positions open! So I'm like, "wtf am i doing here?!"
Ah well. My current job has gotten a little better, plus I just got a raise, so I think I may try and stick it out a little bit longer. Working at a bank would be an excellent opportunity for me, and maybe once i come back from MA this summer it's something I'll consider doing, but for right now, I would just feel too bad getting a job, not even working there for 2 months, and then leaving.

Thanks for yall's help, and I'll keep ya updated!!!