GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,130
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zmaisongoogleto
» Online Users: 1,298
0 members and 1,298 guests
No Members online

Old 08-21-2008, 10:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to gphiangel624
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSteven View Post
I have never heard of any woman selecting or voting on any potential fraternity member - ever! Input, sure. But never the selection.
I've seen it happen, it was directly admitted to me by a fraternity chapter when I was working at my last institution. They allowed the women who hung out regularly with the chapter to vote. Now, obviously, the response from headquarters was not supportive of the chapter's practice, but I've heard of it happening elsewhere.
Old 08-21-2008, 11:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gphiangel624 View Post
I've seen it happen, it was directly admitted to me by a fraternity chapter when I was working at my last institution. They allowed the women who hung out regularly with the chapter to vote. Now, obviously, the response from headquarters was not supportive of the chapter's practice, but I've heard of it happening elsewhere.
Wow. Learn something new everyday.
Old 08-21-2008, 04:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSteven View Post
Is this something recent? The reason I ask is that has not always been the case at Kentucky. As of last year if I'm not mistaken. The UK Campus Panhellenic is very much "by the book" so I would be quite shocked if UK was willingly going to these parties against NPC rules.

And is Gamma Phi Beta's rule applied to the chapter as a whole? Could women - "on their own" - attend if invited. And how is is a fraternity rush party defined? Technically, IFC rush is 24/7. So any event that is "open" (Sigma Chi Derby Day, Greek Sing, Greek Week, Homecoming etc.) can be considered an IFC rush event.
Not recent as far as I know. But my Green Book isn't here at work so I can't check it. But then depends what you mean by recent..... And it's the chapter as a whole and individual members.
Old 08-21-2008, 04:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartBlondeGPhB View Post
Not recent as far as I know. But my Green Book isn't here at work so I can't check it. But then depends what you mean by recent..... And it's the chapter as a whole and individual members.
How about since the turn of the century?

As I recall, the week that rush starts (which is next week) some of the UK fraternity chapters' websites start to list which sorority chapter will be their guests on which night. And for every night of rush, there is a different sorority chapter. This was maybe no more than two years max.

A few more things.

Would this apply to the chapter sweetheart as well?

Also, what about open events like a band party. I'm thinking specifically of campuses with deferred rush. Or say Washington & Lee where every party is suppose to be open to the whole student population. But because rush is delayed, these are - and no doubt about it - rush events. I guess what I'm wondering is if a chapter is invited, does that make a difference. If the event isn't "tagged" as an official rush event - even though everyone knows it is - does that matter?

And one final question if I may. At UK, some of the un-housed and off-campus fraternities rush out of sorority houses. As I understand it, the sorority chapter does not "help" or "participate" at all. But since members live in the house, they might attend the parties. Would that too be a no-no?

Thanks.