GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Omega > Omega Psi Phi

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,276
0 members and 1,276 guests
No Members online

Old 01-25-2002, 02:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Question Showing CL -- When to & When not to?

Okay, y'all. New topic for discussion:

As you know, I'm a SUPER advocate of Coleman Love, and I think those Sorors and Bruhs who aren't are in serious need of psychiatric therapy (but of course, that's just my personal opinion). Needless to say, I show love to every Bruh I meet--young/old, grad/undergrad, neo/pro, old skool/new skool, etc...

Now, by "show love" I mean giving a tight, heart-felt Delta hug whenever I meet and greet a Bruh. When, I walk into a party, I hug my Sorors and my Bruhs--that's MY personal modus operandus. But, I'm wondering-- is there ever a time when showing Coleman Love is inappropriate. For instance, is it wrong to hug a Bruh/Soror when his/her mate is there?

Most (sane) people do understand and accept the Coleman BOND between Deltas and Omegas. But, occasionally, you run across those folks who either (1) know nothing about it, or (2) know about it but don't appreciate it (the latter group would consist of GDIs, I would think).

Out of respect, should we refrain from the hugging thing when we see that our fellow Coleman's significant other is around? And, does the significant other have a right to be ticked if we do choose to hug the Franks and Ednas of the world?

What do you think?

And I'm Out?

Last edited by the411; 01-25-2002 at 04:14 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-25-2002, 03:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Actually Soror, this came up today.

I was walking with my boss and a co-worker when we passed two Bruhs talking with another person. One of the Bruhs, I usually hug when I see him and the other, whom I am just getting to know, we always stop and chat for a while. However, at this moment, I just acknowledged them with a wave and a smile.

I think this would have been an inappropriate time to show 'the Luv' and I know the Bruhs understand.
Old 01-25-2002, 04:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Interesting point, Soror. I never thought about the workplace issue. Perhaps that's because I've never run into a Bruh while I was wearing my professional face.

You're right, though-- that would definitely have been inappropriate.

And I'm Out!
Old 02-02-2002, 06:19 PM
GreekChat Member

it depends...

on how well you know the bruh. i hug at work, it might not be the tight full body hug, but i hug. the significant other thing is the same principle, depending on how well you know them (both of them) determines how tight you hug or if you hug.
Old 02-03-2002, 06:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Just this weekend, I was at a kiddie party bored as heck when a 40 ish woman walks in with he husband. She says, don't tell me I have a Bruh up in here! Where is he?" She had noticed my license plate in the parking lot. After I identified myself, she gave me a big hug. Her husband was cool, he was KKPsi. I "d also like to point out that she pledged Delta at Xavier in N.O in the mid '70's and she made it her point to show that dreaded "Coleman Love".
Old 02-07-2002, 03:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to #1 Leading Lady Send a message via Yahoo to #1 Leading Lady
If I see a bruh, I am going to give him a hug. If his significant happens to be around I will be so kind and polite to introduce myself as his Soror #1LL nice to meet her and let her know No disrespect intended but that is how CL rolls....OWT!!!!

Vice versa I have had a bruh come up and darn near snatch me up like ROOOOOOO Soror and my fiancee was ready to RAISE UP but you know bruh introduced his self and let it me know he saw a Soror that he had to acknowledge and that he didn't mean to disrespect him in any way. Bruh invited his date to the table and we have been cool peeps every since. We all as a group go out from time to time and we all have developed a respectful, meaningful, and sincere friendship/bond.