GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,445
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Avalanchejqr
» Online Users: 1,934
4 members and 1,930 guests
indygphib, naraht, Sarak24034, Xidelt

Old 08-15-2010, 11:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Rush Questions

Hello,
I am looking to join a fraternity in the fall (a few that I have in mind and those that I have hung out with over summer semester)
Just a few questions:
Is there a do/don't wear type deal for rush? I've been wearing clothes like Polo/A&Fitch/Lacoste/Aeropostale...is there certain things I shouldn't wear?
What are some topics to avoid when asking the brothers questions about the fraternity? I know topics like politics, religion, diseases/abortion are things to avoid but are there certain things I should ask them? Should I talk to them about my interests?
Does being a minority put me at a disadvantage? (See below)
As for me, I'm very into sports (mainly basketball and football), upper-middle class, asian, finance major, social/friendly, shy at first.
If you haven't figured out by username, I go to Florida
Thanks
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-18-2010, 01:17 AM
GreekChat Member

It really depends on the type of chapter you want to join. If you're looking to join the larger, traditional, more "fratty" chapters then yes- wearing Abercrombie/Aeropostale will hurt your chances but you should be fine with Polo and Lacoste. As long as you aren't wearing anything from their more trendy lines (stay away from big graphics like this)

I would stick to conservative clothing at UF. Khaki shorts or slacks (depending on the event), solid color polos, button-ups, etc.

Being Asian might put you at a disadvantage depending on the chapter.

Just act natural and let the conversation flow. If you try too hard, it'll be obvious.

ETA: No cargo shorts!!

Last edited by JohnnyCash; 08-18-2010 at 01:19 AM.
Old 08-18-2010, 01:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCash View Post
ETA: No cargo shorts!!
Only jorts!

Although if you can pull off the cargo short/jort combo you might get bonus points.
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke
Old 08-18-2010, 01:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elephant Walk View Post
Only jorts!

Although if you can pull off the cargo short/jort combo you might get bonus points.
Lol
Old 08-18-2010, 01:05 PM

You guys, after the weekend I've had, don't even joke about f-ing jorts.
Old 08-18-2010, 01:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
You guys, after the weekend I've had, don't even joke about f-ing jorts.
Spend too much time at the Jersey Shore...

BTW, these were the shorts I was talking about

Rad.
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke
Old 08-18-2010, 01:30 PM

Ooh, velcro. Now that is bringing sexxxaaaayyyy back.
Old 08-18-2010, 01:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Holy shit, EW. I hope the tag inside those things says 3T, because there is no other excuse for their existence.
Old 08-18-2010, 02:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elephant Walk View Post
Spend too much time at the Jersey Shore...

BTW, these were the shorts I was talking about

Rad.
Lmfao holy shit
Old 08-18-2010, 06:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post
Holy shit, EW. I hope the tag inside those things says 3T, because there is no other excuse for their existence.
I looked to see if Tim Tebow's middle name started with a T so I would understand your reference but apparently it is not.

Tim Tebow should come up with a "Canadian Tuxedo" line that him and all his fans could wear.

And to the OP... wear classic clothes with classic themes (i.e. no flaming skulls or a t-shirt with a goddamn mural on the back of it of horses and tigers fighting each other and a bunch of dragons), be comfortable in your conversation, and act normal. Your ethnicity may be a point of contention for some fraternities within the system, but may not be for many of them.
Old 08-18-2010, 06:53 PM

3T = 3 Toddler size. You're not at that point in life yet.
Old 08-18-2010, 08:25 PM
GreekChat Member

If they had an elastic waistband they REALLY would have hit the trifecta of awesomely bad.
Old 08-19-2010, 06:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
3T = 3 Toddler size. You're not at that point in life yet.
Yeah...I forget that not everyone wrestles a sleepy 3 year old into clothes and drags him to preschool every morning. Meanwhile, the girl needs no help at all. She's going to be one of those girls who gets up at 5AM to start getting ready for highschool so that she has 1 hr to do her hair, 1 hr to do her makeup, etc.
Old 08-19-2010, 11:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange_blue352 View Post
Hello,
I am looking to join a fraternity in the fall (a few that I have in mind and those that I have hung out with over summer semester)
Just a few questions:
Is there a do/don't wear type deal for rush? I've been wearing clothes like Polo/A&Fitch/Lacoste/Aeropostale...is there certain things I shouldn't wear?
What are some topics to avoid when asking the brothers questions about the fraternity? I know topics like politics, religion, diseases/abortion are things to avoid but are there certain things I should ask them? Should I talk to them about my interests?
Does being a minority put me at a disadvantage? (See below)
As for me, I'm very into sports (mainly basketball and football), upper-middle class, asian, finance major, social/friendly, shy at first.
If you haven't figured out by username, I go to Florida
Thanks
My advice would be that you keep the same style of dress that you normally would wear, but make sure it's some of your "nicer" stuff.

If you try too hard to dress like something you aren't, then you will probably send up giant red-flags.

Most importantly though, be CLEAN! Make sure you are showered, shaved, and your hair is well-kept. Nothing makes a PNM less desirable than long finger-nails or bad breath. Be the kind of guy the other Fraternities are going to want to put out to meet all of the sororities.

As for conversation topics, "Good Guys" tells recruiters to stick to the 5 "F's"

Friends/Family
From (Where you are from)
Fun (What you like to do for fun)
Favorites (Yours/His Favorite Foods/Places/Entertainment)
Firsts (First time experiences)

Check out this website for some great examples of each

http://www.deltasig.org/files/Five%2...ecruitment.pdf

If you haven't noticed so far. All of these are open-ended questions. Remember that everyone is their own favorite topic. Make it a point to be sure your questions can open up a story.

For example: The question "Where are you from?" has absolutely nowhere to go but down. However, the question "What was it like growing up in a small-town?" has a ton of opportunity in it.

(PS My favorite question to be asked by a PNM is: "Why did you join the Fraternity?")

As for the Asian thing. You don't want to be a part of a Fraternity that would discriminate against you for that.
Old 08-19-2010, 06:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletBlueGold View Post
Nothing makes a PNM less desirable than long finger-nails

I mean, I guess if they're absurdly long and cut someone when you handshake.

Seconding don't wear jorts. The north and south are united on this front.