GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,295
1 members and 2,294 guests
Sciencewoman
Closed Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantASTic View Post
I agree. However it is worth pointing out that the OP did not complain, she simply asked a common question - how we decide.
Right.

Which reminds me, why is this thread still going?

I think it has been said like 343254545 times that we don't discuss that here.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 02-10-2009 at 07:04 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-10-2009, 07:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
Quote:
Originally Posted by preciousjeni View Post
Why is this thread still open?
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphagamzetagam View Post
Why is this thread still open? The OP asked a question, got an answer, and got some great advice to boot.

It's time to move on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
Right.

Which reminds me, why is this thread still going?

I think it has been said like 343254545 times that we don't discuss that here.
Mods, check please at table #2 (DEUCE CLUB! )

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Old 02-10-2009, 07:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
if pnms were the only ones doing the choosing, the ginormous chapters with the "most prestige", the ones deemed the most desirable before recruitment begins, would be the ones everyone wanted to join and the "sleeper" chapters would become nonexistant. how many times have we on gc seen that a pnms opinion of the chapter she is just dying to join changes as the recruitment week draws out. this is because they are required to visit all the chapters in the beginning and make multiple decisions throughout the week, while the sororities are making their own decisions. their opinions may change as their options become more obvious. it's not perfect, but for the most part, it works.

lets take it further. what if everyone who aspired to attend harvard just walked into the admissions office and said,"here i am...sign me up". or what if men and women could just walk up to someone they find attractive and say,"i'm going to marry you', and the suitee was obligated to marry them? why is it alright for harvard to choose who attends? why is it expected (at least here in america) that marriage is a mutual decision, but we in sororities should accept any and everyone who thinks they want to join?

I apologize for mentioning this since the thread has clearly moved on from the topic, but in my "pretend" world of allowing girls to join the sororities they want it doesn't erase recruitment in the sense of sororities would have to show who they are to the PNMs so girls could join based on who the sisters are, what the sororities values are, tradiitons they find similar, etc. It would mean that PNMs could find sororities that matched their interests, values, and personality.
Old 02-10-2009, 07:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogChick View Post
It would mean that PNMs could find sororities that matched their interests, values, and personality.
Um, they can do that now...
Old 02-10-2009, 07:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I apologize for mentioning this since the thread has clearly moved on from the topic, but in my "pretend" world of allowing girls to join the sororities they want
I'm glad I don't live in THAT world.

Old 02-10-2009, 08:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Nope. In fact you don't live in NPC world either, which is why it's so weird you keep commenting on these threads.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:20 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Quote:
Nope. In fact you don't live in NPC world either, which is why it's so weird you keep commenting on these threads.
I live in NPC world, but I'm glad I don't live in THAT kind of world either.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTW View Post
I live in NPC world, but I'm glad I don't live in THAT kind of world either.
I am too. I wouldn't want to have to take anyone that wanted in...that would suck. I WOULD like to be able to take all the girls we want though and not be capped.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Is it also weird that I keep out of NPC business and only post on general comments?

Old 02-10-2009, 09:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Is it also weird that I keep out of NPC business and only post on general comments?
Jeni, you've always been respectful of NPC business - I see nothing wrong with your commentary on this thread.

And I am with you and pretty much everyone else in this thread - why is it still open? (And yes, I realize the irony in posting in a thread that I want to die...)

Soldier on...

<runs like hell>
Old 02-10-2009, 09:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
SOMEONE should start a thread about why this poster is always judging everyone else.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I apologize for mentioning this since the thread has clearly moved on from the topic, but in my "pretend" world of allowing girls to join the sororities they want it doesn't erase recruitment in the sense of sororities would have to show who they are to the PNMs so girls could join based on who the sisters are, what the sororities values are, tradiitons they find similar, etc. It would mean that PNMs could find sororities that matched their interests, values, and personality.

Shouldn't sororities also be able to find pnms that match their interests, values, and personalities? (Rhetorical question - no need to answer.) Sororities are more than mere social clubs - they embody a set of ideals, a standard embodied by their creeds, symphonies, etc. It is not enough to be "nice" - you must meet the standards of membership (which no NPC woman is going to go into with any except her sisters) in order to represent the vision the groups' founders first expressed some hundred or so years ago. That is the awesome responsiblity of membership selection, and I'd wager a guess that the vast majority of NPC women take it VERY seriously.

I'm very glad NPC has a mutual selection system that, while not perfect, works for the vast majority of potential new members. I am also glad the NPC has "tweaked" the system, and that it continues to improve.

IBTL!

Last edited by SWTXBelle; 02-10-2009 at 09:50 PM.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:31 PM

Quote:
I apologize for mentioning this since the thread has clearly moved on from the topic, but in my "pretend" world of allowing girls to join the sororities they want it doesn't erase recruitment in the sense of sororities would have to show who they are to the PNMs so girls could join based on who the sisters are, what the sororities values are, tradiitons they find similar, etc.

Um, that wouldn't be recruitment.

That would be like the "student activities fair" where every group has a cute little booth and you just sign up at the ones you want to join.

The PNMs do make choices based on their values and such. That's why there are max numbers of parties for them to attend, if they receive more than that number, they have a choice to make. So the PNM does make choices.

However, the sororities have the right to make the same choices with PNMs that the PNMs are making about sororities.

That's why it's called MUTUAL SELECTION.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 02-10-2009 at 10:38 PM.
Closed Thread