GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 1,508
0 members and 1,508 guests
No Members online

Old 08-28-2001, 02:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Cool Moving/Nervous

Hi there, i know this board is supposed to be about rush, but you guys are all just so nice and supportive that I was hoping to ask you guys a question... well, it's more of a concern... I'm leaving on wednesday to move into my dorm (actually i move in sat., but i go down for orientation on wed.) and I'm getting really nervous- don't get me wrong, I'm really excited, but i just don't wanna get too homesick or anything... i'm really glad that rush will start a few weeks after i get there, but in the meantime... any of you guys who have already gone through this have any advice? lol, advice for the new freshman I'm sorry again, i know this isn't about rush, but you guys are just so sweet- any advice would be appreciated (lol, i know this is just my nerves talking, but still)
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-28-2001, 02:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Don't Worry!

Hey Giantschic,

We've talked before, but I thought I would say hi and tell you not to worry. Just remember, everyone is in the same boat as you, and your school has a really good orientation program. When my DG friend started last year, all the girls from her hall would get together and go do stuff, even though they didn't know eachother at all. And plus, you're going to meet tons of friends during rush week, so please...Don't Stress! It won't make anything better. Just remember that you are fun and sweet and you're going to have an amazing time. There's a reason they call it the best time of your life!

Hugs, wishinhopin
Old 08-28-2001, 02:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Talking

hey-
i go to sdsu too, and i think we may have talked before. anyway, don't worry about a thing! your going to have a blast in good old sd!! i move back on saturday too, so maybe we will bump into one another!!
josh
Old 08-28-2001, 08:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Talking Random Advice for a Freshman...

Ok, here's some advice for your first few weeks at school--

(1) Be friendly with your roommate (if you have one), but by no means hang out with her all the time and shut yourself off from other people. The more people you meet right away, the better. Don't get too comfortable chilling in your dorm room or you'll miss out. It's easy to meet new friends when everyone is in the same boat. It's considerably harder in a month or two when everyone is settled into groups already.

(2) That said, stay out of your dorm room as much as possible. Don't be one of those sad freshmen who's on IM to their high school friends like 5 hours a day! Don't watch too much TV either, unless you're with a big group of kids. Break out of your comfort zone and get out there and socialize.

(3) Meet your neighbors and other girls on your hall ASAP. If you don't make introductions early on, it gets awkward later. If you don't know anybody, ask these people if they want to walk to the dining hall with you for dinner. If they have class in the same building as you, you can arrange to walk together. Ask them where they're going on the weekend.

(4) Go out as much as possible in the first few weeks. Meet people. It will be the very beginning of the academic semester, and you can probably get away with a little less studying and a little more socializing.

(5) Don't let yourself get drunk on school nights! There's nothing wrong with going out on a weeknight, but save the wild stuff for later.

(6) THE BIG ONE--Since you're rushing in a few weeks, you should be aware of the fact that any girl in a sorority on your campus is going to be checking out the freshmen girls wherever they go. You're being noticed in class, in the gym, at parties... So act right. Don't get drunk and puke in public. Don't hook up with more than one guy in a particular fraternity. Don't let yourself be involved in a gross PDA with some older guy. Just be careful, because although the first few weeks technically aren't "rush," they really matter. Things you do then can affect your chances. So be polite to everyone you meet, especially older women, and be careful whose boyfriend you may be hooking up with!

(7) Try to make some male friends who are really "just friends" (at least for the time being).

Good luck at your new school! Remember to have as much fun as possible in the early weeks, and the key thing is just to be friendly and MEET PEOPLE! The first weeks really are your best chance to find a cool group of friends, after that everyone kind of already HAS their friends. So be on the ball and don't let it pass you by!

Good luck with rush, and keep us updated
Old 08-28-2001, 12:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to CRMSNTiDEGRL717
Good Advice Twinstars!!!

That was such excellent advice TwinStars!!! I wish I would have asked for advice last Saturday when I moved in
Old 08-28-2001, 12:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Heather
Twinstars had great advice!
Another one I'd add is not to go home every weekend (assuming you live close by). I've seen girls do that and they never really like college or at least feel at home and can't seem to figure out why! I didn't know any of my roomies before school started but we all had a blast together.
Old 08-28-2001, 04:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb about going home for weekends

Heather,

I completely agree with you about NOT going home. I go home about 4 times a year (I go to college a few states away from home) and that's probably how it should be. If you're leaving campus every other weekend, you're not really establishing a "new life" for yourself away at college. Ideally, you'd be involved enough and you'd have enough college friends that you wouldn't want to leave at every opportunity.

Even if you're homesick, stick around on campus. Things won't get any better if you run home... you still won't know anybody and won't be involved in anything when you come back.
Old 08-28-2001, 05:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool

Thank you guys so much... it's funny because I've been ready to move away since the beginning of my senior year, last year... I'm very excited and want to meet so many new people, I guess my little worries are just sneaking up on me... I'll be going to school in the same state, but I'll be about a 10 hour drive away, lol- so no going home on the weekends... thank you all for youradvice (very good advice) and thanks for being so sweet... lol, I guess most people get this way before they move in, but I'm sure everything will be fine- thanks again!