GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Sigma Theta

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,205
0 members and 1,205 guests
No Members online

Old 02-27-2006, 01:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb "LOST" Civil Rights Photos Published

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. - Dozens of never before released photos from the civil rights era came to light this weekend after an intern discovered them buried in an equipment closet at the Birmingham News.

The photos had been in a box marked: "Keep. Do Not Sell." But at the time they were taken, the newspaper didn't want to draw attention to the racial discord of the 1950s and 1960s, news photographers from the period said.

"The editors thought if you didn't publish it, much of this would go away," said Ed Jones, 81, a photographer at The News from 1942 to 1987. "Associated Press kept on wanting pictures, and The News would be slow on letting them have them, so they flooded the town with photographers."

On Sunday, the photos finally went to print in a special eight-page section called "Unseen. Unforgotten." Others are on the newspaper's Web site at http://www.al.com/unseen .

Read the rest of the article here: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060227/...rgotten_photos

Last edited by CrimsonTide4; 02-27-2006 at 01:39 PM.
Old 02-27-2006, 02:06 PM
GreekChat Member

The other link was not working. Try this one:

http://www.al.com/unseen/ (photos are not loading for me right now though )

http://www.al.com/unseen/stories/?story.html (another article)
Old 02-27-2006, 10:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: "LOST" Civil Rights Photos Published

Quote:
Originally posted by CrimsonTide4
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. - Dozens of never before released photos from the civil rights era came to light this weekend after an intern discovered them buried in an equipment closet at the Birmingham News.

The photos had been in a box marked: "Keep. Do Not Sell." But at the time they were taken, the newspaper didn't want to draw attention to the racial discord of the 1950s and 1960s, news photographers from the period said.

On Sunday, the photos finally went to print in a special eight-page section called "Unseen. Unforgotten." Others are on the newspaper's Web site at http://www.al.com/unseen .

Read the rest of the article here: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060227/...rgotten_photos
Thanks for posting these, CT4. These pics and others like them, add yet another dimension to the movement story. Rev. Fred L. Shuttlesworth, chronicled in several of the photos, happens to be my grandfather.
~ Luke 19:10
Old 02-27-2006, 11:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: "LOST" Civil Rights Photos Published

Quote:
Originally posted by TonyB06
Thanks for posting these, CT4. These pics and others like them, add yet another dimension to the movement story. Rev. Fred L. Shuttlesworth, chronicled in several of the photos, happens to be my grandfather.

Ya don't say?
Old 04-12-2011, 12:30 PM
Super Moderator

In searching for something else, I came across this thread and I wanted to say THANK YOU CT4 for posting these.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide4 View Post

"The editors thought if you didn't publish it, much of this would go away," said Ed Jones, 81, a photographer at The News from 1942 to 1987. ......
Interesting story - thank you for sharing.

What I think is interesting is that these were kept when they could have easily been destroyed & no one would have been none the wise.

I wonder if whoever wrote, "Keep. Do Not Sell." had an inkling that these might have historical value down the road? Or just could not bear to destory them, but did not want them to "get out" into the public (at the time) either?? Things that make you go hmmmm......