GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,207
1 members and 1,206 guests
JayhawkAOII

Old 01-24-2007, 09:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Question "City Wide" Chapters in Ohio

My girlfriend attends a small university with very few sororities, none of which she is interested in. Her school is located in north western Ohio, however she is from Columbus and I live in Dayton, so any schools near these areas would be cloes enough for her. We have contacted a couple of colleges and they have said we need to look for a city wide chapter, because they take people from other schools.

Is there anyone who knows how exactly to go about finding somewhere, or does anyone on here belong to a chapter that accepts students from other schools? She is specifically interested in NPHC sororities so if anyone is a member of one in Ohio please reply if you accept other schools' students or if you know somewhere that does.

Thank you all for reading this and any information you can give us.
Old 01-24-2007, 10:00 PM

I can speak only for NPC. To join an NPC sorority as an undergraduate, you must be enrolled as a student at the campus where the chapter is based. There is no such thing as a citywide chapter.

If your girlfriend is interested in joining a NPHC sorority, the best thing for her to do is to do her homework and figure out which NPHC sorority she might want to pursue, and then go from there. If there's no collegiate chapter where she attends, she can identify the nearest citywide chapter and talk to the members.

Why are you posting for her?
Old 01-24-2007, 10:43 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by aephi alum View Post

Why are you posting for her?
Husbands posting on behalf of their wives.

Boyfriends posting on behalf of their girlfriends.

Seems to be the trend lately.

Coincidence much?
Old 01-24-2007, 10:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjw1985 View Post
My girlfriend attends a small university with very few sororities, none of which she is interested in. Her school is located in north western Ohio, however she is from Columbus and I live in Dayton, so any schools near these areas would be cloes enough for her. We have contacted a couple of colleges and they have said we need to look for a city wide chapter, because they take people from other schools.

Is there anyone who knows how exactly to go about finding somewhere, or does anyone on here belong to a chapter that accepts students from other schools? She is specifically interested in NPHC sororities so if anyone is a member of one in Ohio please reply if you accept other schools' students or if you know somewhere that does.

Thank you all for reading this and any information you can give us.
Okay, I'll bite.....

My best advice is to go to the org's International website and look under area / region, then scroll down to where the chapter is where you are located. Then, here it comes, contact that person / chapter.

I know. Earth shattering.

Don't expect to have the same type of response from each org as each org may handle their city wide chapters differently, i.e., in terms of contacting them and other procedures.
Old 01-24-2007, 11:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTW View Post
Husbands posting on behalf of their wives.

Boyfriends posting on behalf of their girlfriends.

Seems to be the trend lately.

Coincidence much?
Old 01-25-2007, 07:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Boyfriend posting

The reason I posted for her is because I work full time in an IT department, so I am usually sitting in front of a computer about 30-35 hours a week not counting my time at home. This gives me much more time to search around the web for things like this for her.
Old 01-25-2007, 08:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Contact

As far as the idea of contacting chapters, do you really think that we have not done that yet? Most chapters either do not reply at all, or just tell us members have to be students at that school. The most help we got was from the Greek Life Director at Ohio State who told us some chapters are city-wide chapters and she needs to find one of those.
Old 01-25-2007, 08:25 AM
GreekChat Member

She might just have to wait until after she graduates and attempt membership into a graduate/alumnae chapter.

I am a native of Ohio and if she is up in say the Ashtabula, Youngstown area, she cannot join the Columbus city wide chapter (as far as my sorority goes). You have to be within the city of Columbus to join the Columbus city wide chapter.

She should research and learn more about the NPHC sororities now to prepare for possible membership later.
Old 01-25-2007, 11:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide4 View Post
She should research and learn more about the NPHC sororities now to prepare for possible membership later.
You mean HE can't research it for her just because he's glued to a computer all day?
Old 01-25-2007, 01:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTCHAOS View Post
You mean HE can't research it for her just because he's glued to a computer all day?
**tongue planted firmly in cheek**

SHE needs to know what sorority is best for HER independent of his input/computer research.