GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,426
1 members and 1,425 guests
Titchou

Old 04-17-2004, 04:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Has this ever happened to you?

So, today I was driving to Riverside for work since the museum I work for was participating in a festival. Well, for those of you who live in L.A., you know it was poring rain this morning and I was stuck on the 91 freeway near the 605. The freeway was flooded literally three/four inches and we were crawling along; well, I was in the far left lane and the carpool lane was slowly merging in. Suddenly, the car in front of me slams on its brakes and I subsuquently slam into him. His car has barely a nick whereas my European sedan had a bent up hood, broken light, and a scratched bumper. The car was drivable so I drove home on side streets and took it to the auto body shop where they say it will probably take at least two weeks to fix for "possible internal damage"...umm I DROVE it all the way home, like 25 miles but this is not even the worst part...

This is my second accident in SEVEN months. The other one was due to as comical as this sounds, you know those sprinklers on the side of the 91 freeway (DAMN THE 91), well it was severely malfunctioning and shot directly into my open car window and windshield while I was getting on a interchange. We are talking about those high-powered sprinklers and then my car hydro-planes in the puddle from the sprinkler and I rear-end a huge van. Long story short, huge sigalert on the freeway because of me as every one is staring at me hyperventilating and crying over my new car. I had almost totalled my new car and he had like 400 dollars worth of damage. It also took almost 6 weeks to fix my car.

So, instead of being at work, here I sit on my couch consoling myself with A&E's Pride and Prejudice and GC but I still feel so shi**y and embarassed. For my job, I drive AT LEAST 60 miles a day on the Los Angeles' freeway system so I know I'm increasing my chances on an accident greatly but it still really, really, really sucks especially when I have never had so much as a ticket before this...

Has this ever happened to any of you GCers?

Have you ever been more than one accident in a short amount of time?

I really need some consoling here...

Last edited by TriDeltaGal; 04-17-2004 at 07:43 PM.
Old 04-17-2004, 06:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to winnieb
Aaaaweee-- sorry to hear about your accident.
You okay (physically)?
Old 04-17-2004, 07:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Yeah, luckily I've been okay physically both times but emotionally, that's another story! Thanks for asking, alphagam-alum!
Old 04-17-2004, 08:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to cntryZTA5
I'm sorry to hear about your accident . At least you're ok! It sucks being in an accident, let along two in a short period of time. LA freeways are the worst! I try to avoid the 91 like the plague....it is always a nightmare!
Old 04-17-2004, 08:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Baltimore, MD - Missing Sitting on the Green Monster with Johnny Damon and Teddy Bruschi
Send a message via AIM to PlymouthDZ
My first 2 accidents happened in the SAME day. honestly.. not 30 minutes after my first one, I was driving home and I got into another accident. Both times I was rear-ended.

3 months later I was side swiped by a drunk driver and my car was totalled. Thankful I had no serious injuries.

So in short.. I'm right there with you girl.. it was really scary.. all 3 of those in a short time.

Hope you're doing well!!

Old 04-17-2004, 11:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via AIM to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via Yahoo to AchtungBaby80
Well, I can't beat PlymouthDZ's story, but I know how much wrecking cars sucks. I have totaled two vehicles to date, and put a huge dent in the side of my stepdad's then-new pickup truck. All of my accidents were totally stupid, too...

The first one I was driving to church in my mom's minivan to sing in the choir's Christmas program when I hit some black ice. Like, 2 second later, I ended up in the middle of a field, in the dark, with all the back windows on the left side broken and the back hatch bent so badly that it would barely open, plus a huge crater (it wasn't small enough to be a dent) in the side. I vaguely remember hitting a fence post or something. That sucked.

A year and a half later, I wrecked my first car driving to school one morning in the fog. I went to stop at a red light but for some reason no matter how hard I mashed down on the brake, the car wouldn't stop so I plowed into the back of the car in front of me. The only good thing was that the girl I hit was a total not-nice-person, and if I had to hit someone it was good it was her. Otherwise, the front of my Grand Am was smashed to bits, while she got a teeny weeny scratch on her back bumper. That sucked.

Then, not very long after that, I was driving home from my then-boyfriend's house one night in my stepdad's brand-new Dodge Ram, and there was a coal truck riding my bumper. My eyes are really light-sensitive and the truck's headlights were shining right in the rearview mirror and totally blinded me, so I made my best guess as to where the driveway was and turned into it. I heard this horrible banging sound, and when I got out of the truck I saw this major dent in the side and our mailbox lying on the ground. Now, you have to understand, my stepdad is anal. Especially about his vehicles. He goes ballistic if you get the floor mats crooked. You can imagine how fit to be tied he was when he saw what I'd done. I had to go upstairs, get him out of bed (which he hates), and tell him. I was so upset, I threw up. That really sucked.

I know you're really upset, but it will be all right. I don't know of anybody who hasn't had a mishap involving a motor vehicle, so you're definitely not the only one. But more importantly, even though your car is a little messed up, be glad YOU didn't get hurt!
Old 04-17-2004, 11:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Cluey Send a message via Yahoo to Cluey
I hope things get better for you!

For a while, everyone in my family was getting in accidents, so I can relate with you on that. It's hard when you are commuting that much not to get into accidents, though. My parents have always said that if you go up to bat enough times, you're bound to get a hit. I find that to be so true with the state of driving in America today.

On a happy note, Pride and Prejudice is a wonderful movie and can take your mind off of anything
Old 04-18-2004, 12:33 AM
cutiepatootie

Oh yeah i can relate to you on those certain freeways and the fact LA freeways are HORRID! over crowded and lunatic drivers. URRRGGGH! I dont like the 91 or the 605 and or the 57 at orange crush at 4ish.........i rather have dental work done then be on them. Try commuting back to victorville at 4 or 5 on the 15 going thru the cajon pass...... now that is horrid
Old 04-18-2004, 12:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Sorry to hear about your accident! I was grived and shocked (thought you might appreciate a little P&P humor)!! I avoided any driving today because the one lesson I've learned in the few short months I have been in LA is that rain + LA freeways = guaranteed disaster.

But hey I have to applaud you on your choice of movie! Just watch the lake scene several times and I am certain your day will seem brighter .
Old 04-18-2004, 02:52 AM
GreekChat Member

I am so sorry to hear about your car accident(s). But atleast you have your health! My question is, what are you goin to do NOW? Take the bus?

The 91 sucks! I live in Hungtinton Beach, and constantly drive on the 22 on my way to the 57. The area where the 91 hits the 57 is HORRIBLE! I always expect atleast 29 minutes of traffic when I hit that area (anaheim, fullerton area). Boooo
Old 04-18-2004, 11:44 AM
cutiepatootie

your preaching to the choir ont hat one the Don! the 91 and 57.......30 minutes of pure hell! between 3 and 5 the orange crush should be the orange haze .......when those two merge it is like a bad nightmare!

yes SO cal + freeways + drivers= diaster! one little drop of rain and it is a mess!
Old 04-19-2004, 11:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for all the replies, everyone! I would have replied sooner but I had to spend all over yesterday in Riverside at the same festival I was driving to in the first place on Saturday. It really made me feel a ton better to know I wasn't the only one who this had happened to before. GC is always a great place for good advice and consoling!

Bobby...I actually have a company car that I share with two other co-workers so I'm lucky that they are going to let me use it exclusively until my car gets fixed. I think it would take me like three hours to get to some of the places I work if I had to take the LA mass transit system!
Old 04-19-2004, 06:08 PM

Sorry to hear it! Thank goodness you are ok.

Take care.
Old 04-19-2004, 06:12 PM
GreekChat Member

I rear-ended a guy on 101. He had one small dent in his bumper and I had the entire left side of my car smashed up. I was surprised the insurance company fixed it. I thought for sure they were going to give me the blue book value of the car and call it totaled.