GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,130
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zmaisongoogleto

Old 08-29-2011, 02:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile My (live) Recruitment Story!

removed

Last edited by izzygirl; 09-26-2012 at 03:28 PM.
Old 08-29-2011, 02:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking Pre-Rush ideas :)

removed

Old 08-29-2011, 02:43 PM
GreekChat Member

removed

Old 08-29-2011, 03:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Your strong suit - knowing lots of girls in the chapters.
Your weak suit - you can't help but go in with reputations floating around in your mind.
Depending on your school, being a junior may or may not be a huge deal, but it sounds like you've done everything you can to combat that - lots of recs and legacy forms. As you know from reading GC, that is no guarantee, but if it's not a huge Greek system it could get you invited back once as a courtesy. It depends on their interpretation of what "special attention" means.

Best of luck to you!
Old 08-29-2011, 03:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by izzygirl View Post
Dolphin: My Aunt was a member of this sorority, and at my university, aunts count for legacies. Her and her friend wrote me letters of rec for this sorority, and letters of rec are not as common at my university as they are in other places, so my sorority friends seem to think think this is a very big deal. Again, they have a beautiful house and I have heard wonderful things about it's members, so going in, this is definitely one I am aiming to impress!
Legacies are an organization thing, not a campus thing. It may be that your recruitment registration form asked about aunts/cousins, but that has absolutely no bearing on the membership selection policies of individual organizations.
Old 08-29-2011, 04:14 PM
Super Moderator

good luck izzygirl!
Old 08-29-2011, 04:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
Legacies are an organization thing, not a campus thing. It may be that your recruitment registration form asked about aunts/cousins, but that has absolutely no bearing on the membership selection policies of individual organizations.
The Panhellenic form may ask about any relation because some sororities do consider nieces to be legacies and others don't. Since you said your university is in an area of the country where Greek life is not as popular (i.e. there's not tons of legacies), the particular chapter may wish to apply their National's legacy policy to nieces. I won't claim to know the exact legacy policy of every NPC, but I am sure none of them guarantee a bid to legacies; it's something along the lines of a "courtesy invite to first invitational round" and "special consideration". Or perhaps Greeks on your campus refer to nieces and cousins of members as "legacies" colloquially speaking, but they do not have to apply their National's legacy policy to them.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:30 PM
GreekChat Member

removed

Last edited by izzygirl; 09-26-2012 at 03:29 PM.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Also, in answer to what violetpretty said, this is the case. I was told by the office of Greek Life that I can be a legacy through my aunt. It may be because there aren't as many legacies here because I am not in the south.
Just so you understand that depending on the group, this may not be a written, official policy. Your aunt should check and see what her organization's current policy is.

I don't know how the person in the office of Greek Life put it, but it is not their place to weigh in on or make blanket statements about legacy policies. Each group decides that individually. "There's a chance your aunt's sorority may have a policy that makes you a legacy" - fine. "Oh you are a legacy because of your aunt!" - not fine.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Haha okay then. Well either way I'm not too concerned. If I am considered a legacy at that particular house because of my aunt, then great. If not, I'll live! Thanks for all your various input. We will just have to see.

It's totally not something I'm about to stress over.

Last edited by izzygirl; 08-29-2011 at 09:03 PM.
Old 08-30-2011, 02:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Nieces are legacies with Alpha Xi Delta. That one I can give you. For the others, you're on your own.
Old 08-30-2011, 02:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Kappa does not consider nieces as legacies. I swear I think I saw a thread about this topic somewhere here on GC where the national legacy policies were discussed.
Old 08-30-2011, 02:27 PM
GreekChat Member

removed

Old 08-30-2011, 02:35 PM
GreekChat Member

removed

Old 08-30-2011, 03:22 PM

Quote:
I saw this post on that other board discussing legacy information too. At least they will know that I have some connection. That's really all I care about. Everyone here gets a bid so it's not like I will not get invited back to any parties at all.
I feel like I'm being but honestly, even at schools that aren't very competitive, girls occasionally get released from all groups and/or don't get bids to a sorority. Please don't go into it with the above mindset or it might really backfire on you. I know you've been there for a couple years, but you don't know the inner workings of the sororities and membership selection until you're actually in one.