GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,451
1 members and 2,450 guests
No Members online

Old 03-19-2021, 04:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheerio View Post
Our cousin Tammy had a TAMMY doll, whose original outfit was a blue one-piece gymsuit with white trim. Somehow that gymsuit permanently ended up at our house!

Slight sidetrack: Which of you remembers wearing a one-piece blue gymsuit in middle/high school? And was it required, as it was at my schools, that you embroider your FULL NAME in large, white letters across the back for all to read?
Ours were red. There were two versions: junior high school version with bloomer shorts (gathered legs), and the high school version with cuffed legs. Both ugly as sin and embarrassing to wear! Last name across the back yoke, first and last over the front pocket.

Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-19-2021, 05:53 PM
GreekChat Member

That would be considered hazing today.
Old 03-19-2021, 06:46 PM
Super Moderator

They were sooo ugly. They were a major reason I joined the dance line--so I wouldn't have to wear the gym suits. (Also because I was short and skinny and the only thing I could do right in gym was serve a volleyball.)

You know how Tammy was both taller and larger than Barbie? To this day, my sister and I might compare 2 people that way--"you know, the 2 cousins who look like a Tammy and a Barbie together".
Old 03-19-2021, 07:17 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorAlumna View Post
Ours were red. There were two versions: junior high school version with bloomer shorts (gathered legs), and the high school version with cuffed legs. Both ugly as sin and embarrassing to wear! Last name across the back yoke, first and last over the front pocket.
Ours were a nauseating gold, cuffed legs, name just on the front. They were phasing them out for the year after me, so wouldn't you know it? My gym suit met a disastrous end, and I was forced to wear the newer version! That was almost, but not quite, like a t-shirt and shorts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciencewoman View Post
That would be considered hazing today.
Absolutely!

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
They were sooo ugly. They were a major reason I joined the dance line--so I wouldn't have to wear the gym suits. (Also because I was short and skinny and the only thing I could do right in gym was serve a volleyball.)

You know how Tammy was both taller and larger than Barbie? To this day, my sister and I might compare 2 people that way--"you know, the 2 cousins who look like a Tammy and a Barbie together".
Tammy just seemed gigantic compared to Barbie! I had a friend named Tammy, and I think every one of her 12 aunts & uncles sent her a Tammy doll! She hated them!
Old 03-20-2021, 01:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Total sidetrack from Barbie, but I am quite curious about these required gym uniforms, because I never, ever heard of these before this thread. We always brought our own gym clothes. I am thinking this was a "regional" thing??
Old 03-20-2021, 01:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Have you seen "Pretty in Pink"? They were already on the way out back then, so I only saw them in the movie:

https://letthemreadvinyl.files.wordp.../11/andie4.jpg
Old 03-21-2021, 11:52 AM
GreekChat Member

The school I went to up to 8th grade didn’t even make us change for gym class. Most kids just did gym in their regular clothes (you had to wear sneakers), then went back to class. By the time we got to 6th, 7th, 8th grade some of us would choose to change, but it wasn’t required. And nobody ever showered.

In high school, people changed for PE classes, but just to regular shorts, sweatpants, T-shirts, whatever, no uniforms. I went to boarding school, so I would try to schedule my PE classes at the end of the day, or at least with a free period afterwards so I could go back to my dorm and take a shower, and not have to use the gym showers.
Old 03-23-2021, 05:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciencewoman View Post
Total sidetrack from Barbie, but I am quite curious about these required gym uniforms, because I never, ever heard of these before this thread. We always brought our own gym clothes. I am thinking this was a "regional" thing??
Definitely not a thing in my world at all. We brought our own shorts and a t-shirt in 10th grade. There were some school provided bathing suits when we had swimming. They were awful and we were thankful swimming was not co-ed.
Old 03-23-2021, 06:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
Definitely not a thing in my world at all. We brought our own shorts and a t-shirt in 10th grade. There were some school provided bathing suits when we had swimming. They were awful and we were thankful swimming was not co-ed.
I've heard stories, told on the radio, that some schools had NUDE single-sex swim classes FOR GYM CLASS GRADES during the 60s/70s!
Old 03-23-2021, 08:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheerio View Post
I've heard stories, told on the radio, that some schools had NUDE single-sex swim classes FOR GYM CLASS GRADES during the 60s/70s!
I've heard those stories about the boys, but not the girls!
Old 03-23-2021, 09:15 PM
Super Moderator

My brother was much older than I, and his YMCA swimming classes were taught in the nude. My mother was horrified.
Old 03-24-2021, 06:26 AM
Super Moderator

Why would anyone want that?

Last edited by carnation; 03-24-2021 at 06:33 AM.
Old 03-24-2021, 10:59 AM
GreekChat Member

I always asked that about urinals and communal showers too. Why do boys have to do that? It's horrifying to think about.
Old 03-24-2021, 06:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I always asked that about urinals and communal showers too. Why do boys have to do that? It's horrifying to think about.
Oh no, not just for the boys! Our Junior High had female communal showers, just like the boys. Not fun, especially with the female gym teacher calling out every female student's last name and making sure every female student took a shower.

Thank goodness junior high was only sixth and seventh grades, as the school building was very small and the brand new high school had so much room they included eighth grade classrooms.
Old 03-24-2021, 08:46 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
My husband used to work for FCA and said that in a lot of college bathrooms, there would be 4 toilets--without walls between them--facing each other.

I mean, what would you say if you were facing some other guy as you both sat on the toilet? And wait, wasn't this a Barbie thread?