GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,392
0 members and 1,392 guests
No Members online

Old 08-18-2021, 08:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Q for KillarneyRose: was Pitt still at 11% when you were active? I guess I always think of the 80s as a big Greek life era, so I assumed the numbers would have been higher than that?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-19-2021, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
Attempts to transfer into a stronger chapter have been made for years.
It happens among the fraternities as well.

I knew a guy who wanted to be a Sigma Chi at Arkansas. He didn't think he'd get a bid, so he went to another school (not mine ), was initiated and transferred the next year.

Fraternities will normally take transfers as long as the initiated member left their other chapter in good standing and financially settled.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 08-19-2021, 12:45 PM
GreekChat Member

While I went to school out west, my entire family went to Ole Miss. Even back in the 70's it was super competitive. So competitive than many a girl would drop out if they didn't get the sorority of their and transfer elsewhere...this is why the administration moved rush to mid-October for years and years. Last year was the first time, I think, it was pre-classes and this year is the first time pre-classes in person.

Many a girl would pledge at less competitive schools, as mentioned by others and try to transfer in and affiliate. Did not always work.

The one thing that happens at Southern schools and everywhere is the girl so set, as written earlier, on one chapter and they don't budge. A girl went thought rush at my school - a double Gamma Phi legacy. She was released after the 3rd round, she dropped out. Then she went through her sophomore year, same story, same result. I met her that year through friends and she became almost angry when she learned I was a Gamma Phi and that I had no connections to the chapter or sorority - like "how did you get in when I had all the connections." She was a sour personality and while we had many wonderful chapters at my school, I'm not sure anyone would have wanted that type of person as a sister.
Old 08-19-2021, 01:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
This was rather common way back in the day here in Alabama. Go to UAB, Jax State, Livingston and pledge. Then transfer to Alabama or Auburn, UAB's Alpha Gam chapter was thought of as a "feeder chapter" for Alabama.
Yes very common in Texas, too, back 30 years ago when this happened.

It wasn't so much the 3x rush and being fixated on ONE chapter, but that she was denied 3x by the same chapter (2 in rush and 1 in affiliation) and still wore her letters and swag from head to toe 24/7 on that same campus.

And never had one friend in that chapter to show for all her efforts.

Tragic, really.
Old 08-19-2021, 02:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
UAB's Alpha Gam chapter was thought of as a "feeder chapter" for Alabama.
The advisor for the UAB chapter was a Bama alum. (Her daughter, another Bama alum, was my homeroom teacher in 10th grade.)
Old 08-19-2021, 05:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LXA SE285 View Post
The advisor for the UAB chapter was a Bama alum. (Her daughter, another Bama alum, was my homeroom teacher in 10th grade.)
Yes, - as were several others over the years. It was the second group on campus...
Old 08-24-2021, 06:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
Attempts to transfer into a stronger chapter have been made for years.
Very common a few years ago for Texas girls (especially from Highland Park) to go out of state and pledge their legacy then transfer to UT-Austin and affiliate.