GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,425
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, zenjaminusasdz5
» Online Users: 2,423
2 members and 2,421 guests
Phrozen Sands, Sister Havana

Old 04-19-2010, 12:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Too many choices may cause groups to focus on looks

I was driving to work today when I heard this story on NPR about dating, and it made me wonder if the same would apply to recruitment.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=126050697

If presented with too many choices, will sorority women put too much emphasis on appearance? Could this explain the differences between Greek systems with 1800 PNMs versus 200 PNMs? This speed dating analogy seems very similar to a recruitment dynamic to me and really got me thinking. Of course, I don't see any way to change a recruitment model at large universities to remove this factor.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-19-2010, 12:54 PM
GreekChat Member

I was just talking with a friend about this...I think the round where looks matter the most (in very competitive recruitments) is the first round.

If a sorority has 800-1000 PNMs coming through, and if they know they will be asked by Panhellenic to cut, say, 40% of the PNMs, they are going to scramble to figure out BEFORE rush starts who they really want to keep. That's gonna be hometown friends, legacies, other connections, letters of rec, etc. Since this is a competitive recruitment with 1000 PNMs, let's assume that they already know 300 PNMs through those connections. That leaves 700 that nobody knows about, and therefore only 300 of them can go through to the next round. The average active is going to have 5ish minutes to make a decision on each PNM that she has never heard of (or, at the most, maybe the PNM appeared on a slideshow or the active checked their facebook), and guess what is going to stick with them for 5 minutes? Beautiful hair, huge breasts, Tori Burch flats, antique necklace...we all know that the first round is literally a flash and you remember so little. Those with stunning features, incredible clothes, etc. are going to get remembered, and a lot of the rest will be lost in the shuffle. Strong personalities will still be a factor, but in my experience they also tend to blur and don't have the chance to really develop in such a quick time period.

However, as the rounds progress (and I'd say it starts with the second round), interactions become more individualized and lengthy. Now the vast majority, if not all, PNMs are going to be remembered by their actives (for better or for worse). Those same traits that got them through the first round are only going to fool the active for a couple minutes...the pretty face can't conceal bad conversation skills or a potty mouth for the full round. Likewise, a strong and fun personality finally has the time to develop to the point where the active will be able to get a good read on it.

Is the damage already done? Maybe. But honestly, with competitive recruitments it is a problem of scale...there is simply no way to get around the petty and quick judgments of the first round. That is why ALL PNMs should be getting recs before ANY recruitment...even if your campus doesn't need them, you will be considered a novelty, and if your campus does need them this may be your only chance to get past the lighting-round of first parties and have a real shot at being bidded. You need to be on that radar.

Last edited by APhiAnna; 04-19-2010 at 12:56 PM.
Old 04-19-2010, 01:02 PM
GreekChat Member

My initial thought, as someone who came from a very small system, is yes.

My system had three sororities with around 30 members each, with an average of 20-25 PNMs matching during formal recruitment. It was not competitive, although not everyone got where they wanted or had a perfect recruitment. We saw maybe 1-2 legacies a year max (mostly when an older sister was in the same school), and about as many recs. Legacies and recs were novelties, not requirements or major factors in decisions. But there were not mandatory cuts on either side, nor were chapters known for only taking certain kinds of girls. The personalities of the chapters were different and certain chapters were known for more things than others (e.g. smart, athletes, pretty partiers) but all chapters had a variety of those three stereotypes. Ultimately most people joined where they felt the most comfortable, where they knew the most people, or who impressed them the most in various ways. We also had deferred recruitment, though.

This is probably an argument for deferred recruitment as well, to allow time for PNMs to get to know the chapters better and vice versa. Thus real connections can be made, and the inputs into the decision making process can be based on a variety of interactions rather than literally and figuratively, a "rush".

I will say that had I gone to a larger school with a lot more chapters and a competitive recruitment, I probably would not have gone through. Hard to say in hindsight (we were so brave as 18 year olds, weren't we?) but I barely went through as it was.

Last edited by thetygerlily; 04-19-2010 at 01:05 PM.
Old 04-19-2010, 01:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetygerlily View Post
This is probably an argument for deferred recruitment as well, to allow time for PNMs to get to know the chapters better and vice versa. Thus real connections can be made, and the inputs into the decision making process can be based on a variety of interactions rather than literally and figuratively, a "rush".
I've seen this argument presented on here before, for the same reasons that you mention. However, I think that this is a "Your Miles May Vary" type of situation. Three schools that I am very familiar with (Baylor, SMU and Vanderbilt) all have deferred recruitments and those are some of the most cut-throat, "must pledge top tier" type of recruitments out there. It is an entire semester of dirty rush, fraternity boys telling the PNMs which houses they "should" be in, and hearing reputations.

Will some actives/PNMs look past all that? Sure. Does spring recruitment work better at some campuses than a fall recruitment would? Absolutely. However, as with many of the topics/situations discussed on these boards I just don't think that fall vs spring can be a one size fits all type of decision. My university (TCU) is similar to those 3 in many regards, and while fall recruitment certainly had its drawbacks- the topic of this thread among them- I personally prefer that system to what my friends at these other universities dealt with. Despite that, I trust that those schools are doing what they feel is best for their campus culture and would never insinuate that they need to change.

As to the topic of this thread, it is an interesting hypothesis that AOII angel puts forth, and I do think there may be something to it with sorority recruitment as well.
Old 04-19-2010, 01:37 PM

There was an excellent thread about recruitment and appearance awhile back.

I think at a school where you're dealing with large numbers of PNMs who all have stellar stats on paper, appearance is bound to come into play. Especially in early rounds where a chapter has to make steep cuts based on one party. As APhiAnna said, you need to be memorable in those rounds.

I also like to remind PNMs that appearance is more than whether you're pretty or not. Active members also remember those PNMs who had well put together outfits, tasteful jewelry or other pieces that stood out, etc.

Not saying that a PNM should go out and spend a fortune on clothes, but it's important to plan your outfits/makeup/jewelry so you don't end up just throwing things together.

It's also important to know what items/make up/hairstyles compliment your features and make you look your best.If something doesn't fit well or you don't think it looks good on you, it may affect your confidence going into recruitment.

Don't really know what looks good? Take some time to try out different stuff over the summer.

When you look good, you feel good and it allows your personality to shine through.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 04-19-2010 at 04:25 PM.
Old 04-19-2010, 01:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Blondie- I agree with you. Deferred recruitment worked for my school, but I also think that it limited the involvement of freshmen because they found other things to do. We were also a 99% residential campus (all but married or if you had a kid), which is why I think the deferred piece hurt our recruitment numbers- the dorms and other aspects of residential life on campus provided you with a lot of opportunities to get involved, and the school kind of ignored the Greek system. But that's another topic I would love to see my school try fall recruitment for a couple of years.

I can see deferred being problematic for large schools as you mentioned with dirty rushing. Makes me think of Honey's recruitment story from Pitt that involved all sorts of extra activities that would be considered dirty rushing now! Fall recruitment also helps prevent a lot of the extra reputation gossip and hearing where you should go instead of thinking for yourself. But it also probably makes it a bit harder to get past the issues AOII Angel presents.
Old 04-19-2010, 01:51 PM
GreekChat Member

At a competitive recruitment, deferred would make it WORSE I think. The pressure would still be there for sororities to figure out who they really want before rush even starts due to huge cuts, but instead of only being able to come up with a third of the pledge class (recs, legacies, hometown connections, etc) I have no doubt in my mind that some sororities would have pretty much decided their ENTIRE pledge class before rush even started. The dirty rushing would get out of control, and I think it is safe to say that if a PNM was not going to certain fraternities or a member of certain organizations, she would be cut even more harshly and have less of a chance of pledging.

In a non-competitive recruitment, I think there are a lot of benefits for considering deferred. But at those super intense SEC schools (and their counterparts elsewhere...Texas, Southern Cal, Florida State, etc) I think it would cause so much dirty-rushing and pre-selection that it would alienate a lot of PNMs.

Let's put it this way: these schools are labeled competitive for a reason...even with regulations from Panhellenic, nationals AND their recruitment advisor, if they are given any way to make rush more cut-throat (giving them 3-4 months to observe and interact with PNMs on campus) sororities are going to take the bait. Some are going to pioneer it, and the rest will be forced to compete to pledge their top picks.
Old 04-21-2010, 02:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Virginia Tech is a moderately competitive school with a deferred recruitment. Registration begins on the first day of fall semester, and PNMs are added to a Panhellenic listserv. They are notified of events that chapters choose to open to PNMs (ie philanthropy events, sisterhood, programming)...but there's a catch...PNMs don't know what chapters are participating until they get there and there is a limited number of spots for each event, so PNMs must RSVP.

I am one of the biggest deferred recruitment cheerleaders on this site, and it's because it affords chapters and PNMs to get to know each other in authentic ways instead of relying more heavily on appearance and trying to fool PNMs into thinking that all sororities are equally popular. Please. There is plenty of tent talk in fall recruitment.

I think campuses need to redefine what is considered dirty rushing. Befriending PNMs, showing them what sororities do in a typical week, talking up all sororities is NOT dirty rushing. Bid promising IS. It just blows my mind that some schools with deferred or delayed recruitment discourage/disallow interaction between PNMs and chapters (except during actual recruitment).

As for the tiers debate, as a disciple of I Heart Recruitment, I believe deferred recruitment helps "lower tier" chapters. They simply need to take the responsibility to get out there and meet women that first semester. When PNMs make connections, they're less likely to care about tiers. That doesn't mean having a recruitment party every week. It means meeting women.

As far as numbers are concerned, yes it is true that deferred recruitment schools in general have smaller numbers than fall recruitment schools. I don't think this is a negative, because retention is generally higher. Academically, everyone is being judged the same when recruitment begins and you've weeded out the PNMs who can't handle college coursework, whereas in fall, you're banking success based on high school. Besides, at academically competitive schools, it can be a game of splitting hairs, and you don't really know who is going to make it and who won't until after a semester.

I think "with deferred recruitment, there are so many opportunities to get involved that women forget Greek life" is an excuse. It's an excuse to not get out and meet PNMs. Seize that opportunity to find the women who would make good members instead of only waiting for the “always joiners” (keep the door open for them of course).

I think setting a separate quota for freshmen, sophomores and juniors/seniors is important because it doesn't make a chapter feel like it has to choose between a freshman and a sophomore. Every chapter is entitled to the same number of freshmen. That way, the culture is less "one shot at a bid". There's a chance for women to make themselves known if they transfer in or do not discover Greek life until after their first year. There's nothing inherently wrong with an upperclassman as long as your chapter isn't top heavy.

Last edited by violetpretty; 04-21-2010 at 03:18 PM.
Old 05-03-2010, 04:47 AM
Banned

Did this just pop in your head? If a sorority is mostly blondes who drive Mercedes and have 16 Prada bags then they aren't going to say oh I like that red head with the tattoo! At any school, big or small, the way you get invited isn't for how nice you are, it is by if you resemble that organization and have common characteristics. It is 2010 the world is ran by egocentric and materialistic people. It is the American way after all. Who cares if you have a college degree, we only care if it makes over a 100K.
Old 05-03-2010, 04:51 AM
Banned

To prevent this problem only Spring rush should be allowed then you would actually have a chance to get to know each other. Some schools do this and it cuts down on the people who quit after joining. You attend parties all fall and decide where you fit for Spring recruitment.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoheadlines View Post
Did this just pop in your head? If a sorority is mostly blondes who drive Mercedes and have 16 Prada bags then they aren't going to say oh I like that red head with the tattoo! At any school, big or small, the way you get invited isn't for how nice you are, it is by if you resemble that organization and have common characteristics. It is 2010 the world is ran by egocentric and materialistic people. It is the American way after all. Who cares if you have a college degree, we only care if it makes over a 100K.
Quote:
To prevent this problem only Spring rush should be allowed then you would actually have a chance to get to know each other. Some schools do this and it cuts down on the people who quit after joining. You attend parties all fall and decide where you fit for Spring recruitment.
Yet again, atoheadlines, you are butting into topics you know nothing about. Go back to the fraternity recruitment forum if you'd like to talk about recruitment. You're an idiot, and no one cares about your insights into sorority life.

AOII

Old 05-03-2010, 08:57 AM
Banned

ATOHeadlines thinks "he" is such an expert about sorority recruitment and membership selection that I beginning to think he must be one of them there "athetist orgie inbred" transgender types.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbie's_Rush View Post
ATOHeadlines thinks "he" is such an expert about sorority recruitment and membership selection that I beginning to think he must be one of them there "athetist orgie inbred" transgender types.
Maybe you're on to something! Should we start a thread called "atoheadlines wants to quit ATO and join a sorority...what are his/her chances?"

AOII

Last edited by AOII Angel; 05-03-2010 at 11:21 AM.
Old 05-03-2010, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Actually, that is not how spring rush works (you don't attend parties all fall - that would be ghastly) but I'm amazed you finally said something that makes a particle of sense.

But yeah, you are seriously into the chick topics. If you are a girl trying to masquerade as a guy, it's epic failing.
Old 05-03-2010, 11:12 AM
Banned

hijack/

sockpuppet city

/end hijack