GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Locals
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,503
Threads: 115,514
Welcome to our newest member, aidanpitt256
» Online Users: 2,616
2 members and 2,614 guests
flamboyanttree, Phrozen Sands

Old 04-05-2011, 06:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, shit.

Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-05-2011, 07:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAckbOwlsgIrl View Post
Okay, trojanpride, or how about we just call you trojanslime. What a fucking trained monkey you are!

We all know that we discuss reputations on here, you dumb fuck! Your post merely encourages them. I'd quote it but I am seriously hoping that you remove that part.

Joining a sorority is not about reputations. It is so much more; friendship, sisterhood, ritual, traditions and more to name a few. It is for a life time. Women need to realize that.
You have no idea what is like to be in those chapters. And for the lower tier chapter, try telling them that their sisterhood is less valuable. Try telling them that their BFF is sub-par or "nobody". You can't rank that. You can't rank the life long friendships and sisterhood.

trojanpride: Rank this! <middle finger in the air!>
Hey, I'm not condoning this behavior, but USC has a very unique and strange social scene. Girls join sororities for much much more, I understand that. Same for guys in frats. This is where the OP is off. I have friends in all of the chapters I mentioned, and none of them fit those types but that's the point! It's messed up. Nasty reps about sororities are like stone at SC, and it shouldn't be that way.

I'm trying to convey to an anonymous board what a very specific environment is like. There are very many things wrong with it (but there are many, many things great about it). The OP sees it, 28thStGreek sees it, and so do I. There are tons of valuable facets of the Row, which is why I choose to be a part of it. I'm not in a top top frat or anything. It's hard for someone who isn't attending USC at this very moment to understand what we're talking about. The stereotypes offended you and they should, but that's what they are here and my point is that it's batshit crazy.

Edit: I know that what I've posted has been downright offensive but imagine how it is for students at USC right now: When a friend says what house she's in she has to go out of her way to prove she's not slutty. Guys in frats have to prove they're not "creepers" or gay or a bunch of other things. Girls I've talked to have lost interest once they ask me what house I'm in and I'm in a middle tier. Guys hook up with top tier girls just to say they did. It's bad. I'm sure it's that way at other big Greek systems and all that but it's not good.

This is obviously the bad side of Greek that USC's focused on recently, particularly freshman keyed into collegeACB. We have high GPAs, successful philanthropies, well-established houses, large chapters, great alumni, but scandals and anonymous gossip websites are ruining us.

Last edited by trojanpride; 04-05-2011 at 07:29 PM.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by trojanpride View Post
Hey, I'm not condoning this behavior, but USC has a very unique and strange social scene. Girls join sororities for much much more, I understand that. Same for guys in frats. This is where the OP is off. I have friends in all of the chapters I mentioned, and none of them fit those types but that's the point! It's messed up. Nasty reps about sororities are like stone at SC, and it shouldn't be that way.

I'm trying to convey to an anonymous board what a very specific environment is like. There are very many things wrong with it (but there are many, many things great about it). The OP sees it, 28thStGreek sees it, and so do I. There are tons of valuable facets of the Row, which is why I choose to be a part of it. I'm not in a top top frat or anything. It's hard for someone who isn't attending USC at this very moment to understand what we're talking about. The stereotypes offended you and they should, but that's what they are here and my point is that it's batshit crazy.
You don't condone it but perpetuate the stereotypes on a public message board. You are a douche lord.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
You don't condone it but perpetuate the stereotypes on a public message board. You are a douche lord.
You seem think that you are stating the obvious. But, in reality as BR said it, you are just contributing to it.

My thoughts exactly!

Give it up! The culture you describe at USC is not unlike several other large schools across the country.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

If she were a Theta: OP is a boring know it all.
Sorry, but this made me chuckle, because my nickname in my circle of friends is KIA (know-it-all).

Please carry on, folks!
Old 04-05-2011, 08:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
You seem think that you are stating the obvious. But, in reality as BR said it, you are just contributing to it.

My thoughts exactly!

Give it up! The culture you describe at USC is not unlike several other large schools across the country.
All these stereotypes aren't pretty and I don't mean to encourage them, yet I did. I am very sorry.
Yet any incoming freshman will be told these things again and again when they arrive on campus. This didn't happen to even a couple years above us because ACB and TFM weren't popular. Now the year below me is pretty much always on ACB it feels like and I know that incoming students shouldn't look there for advice or anything, but now it's a part of USC culture.

A student started a "take the anonymous out of ACB" movement and so far there are 300+ posts on our page of people giving their names...and that's just the people willing to admit they're reading it. It's a start, but it also shows just how influential it is.

Just because this is the environment at several other schools doesn't make it okay. Change is tough but it could happen by perhaps shutting down ACB and moving on from there. I don't know.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
All these stereotypes aren't pretty and I don't mean to encourage them, yet I did. I am very sorry.
Yet any incoming freshman will be told these things again and again when they arrive on campus. This didn't happen to even a couple years above us because ACB and TFM weren't popular. Now the year below me is pretty much always on ACB it feels like and I know that incoming students shouldn't look there for advice or anything, but now it's a part of USC culture.

A student started a "take the anonymous out of ACB" movement and so far there are 300+ posts on our page of people giving their names...and that's just the people willing to admit they're reading it. It's a start, but it also shows just how influential it is.

Just because this is the environment at several other schools doesn't make it okay. Change is tough but it could happen by perhaps shutting down ACB and moving on from there. I don't know.
Since you're so eager to promote the sorority stereotypes here, please share with us the name of your fraternity, its stereotype and position in the USC food chain.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbie's_Rush View Post
Since you're so eager to promote the sorority stereotypes here, please share with us the name of your fraternity, its stereotype and position in the USC food chain.
I'm in Beta Theta Pi.

Apparently we're a house of fags and pussies.

http://collegeacb.com/sb.php?school=...id=1069062&p=1

Threads like these are what ACB is full of, which would be fine if people (especially freshmen) didn't take it seriously. Say a nice thing about a house and you're a member self-promoting. Say a bad thing and you're a jealous geed. Things like that.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
I'm in Beta Theta Pi.

Apparently we're a house of fags and pussies.

http://collegeacb.com/sb.php?school=...id=1069062&p=1

Threads like these are what ACB is full of, which would be fine if people (especially freshmen) didn't take it seriously. Say a nice thing about a house and you're a member self-promoting. Say a bad thing and you're a jealous geed. Things like that.
So you had to go to ACB to discover your stereotype but were able to come here and immediately spout off the reputations of the "bad" sororities?

Old 04-05-2011, 08:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
So you had to go to ACB to discover your stereotype but were able to come here and immediately spout off the reputations of the "bad" sororities?

No I know it very readily but wanted to show an example of ACB. Questions of ranking and stereotypes come up constantly. Try searching for topics of "rankings"...12 pages.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
No I know it very readily but wanted to show an example of ACB. Questions of ranking and stereotypes come up constantly. Try searching for topics of "rankings"...12 pages.
Like you think you're the only school who is on ACB and has a less than harmonious Greek community? Everyone here could spew out the reputations and tiers at their schools. We don't because it isn't right. A gentleman would delete that post rather than perpetuate the garbage. But you've proven you're no gentleman.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Like you think you're the only school who is on ACB and has a less than harmonious Greek community? Everyone here could spew out the reputations and tiers at their schools. We don't because it isn't right. A gentleman would delete that post rather than perpetuate the garbage. But you've proven you're no gentleman.
I don't want to perpetuate the garbage, so I'll go back and delete it. You are right about that.
But it's because tons of schools have less than harmonious Greek communities that something needs to change. If it's just us at USC then fine, we're the University of Spoiled Children, let us be spoiled and act like children. But an "everybody has this problem" mentality doesn't mean the problem's been solved. Deleting the garbage on here won't delete it on campus in the slightest.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Barbie's_Rush, if there is a Greek Chat Nobel Kick Ass Prize, you should be awarded it!

Quote:
You show'em!
And a big thank you, as well!
Old 04-05-2011, 08:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

I know this kind of behavior occurs at many other schools, and the petty competitiveness and rumor-bashing isn't even unique to the Greek system. (And that group-think issues go beyond college years)

Please correct me if I am wrong, but so far I have never heard of an incident such as this occurring at another school. Yesterday there was a student walk-out from classes protesting the KS email and "the social atmosphere at USC". And that social atmosphere they were protesting was not the one created by the Independent student body, but rather the Row's culture. Of course the walkout isn't specifically against The Row. But I think there is a feeling it is being made a scapegoat.

I didn't bring up reputations in my long post because I think they are just silly, but Trojanpride did mention how some girls would not talk to him after knowing what house he is in. This is the reason why I mentioned how after some one (Greek) asks for your name, they almost always ask what house you are in so they can make a quick judgment on whether to continue talking to you.

I am sure it happens at other schools, it probably may happen in the working world if you tell someone what company you work for, etc.

I hope what Trojanpride was actually trying to say is that sometimes it can be hard for a freshman (girl or guy) to look beyond college and understand that sisterhood/brotherhood is for life, etc., and that is more than which sorority/fraternity you are doing an Exchange with, or Songfest, or going to Homecoming. Especially when someone is saying "oh they're in XYZ house, thats the such-and-such house..." I think upperclassmen will be able to understand that no one will care after college what tier your house was in. But for freshman, maybe even sophomore transfers too, it can be hard in the weeks after bid day.

I can't imagine how mortifying for some girls must be on the Monday after bid-day when all the New Members are in their respective bid-tanks. And walking around campus instantly you are given a label just because of whichever bid day top you are wearing.

That being said, I realise that the OP is bringing this up now in the second half of Spring semester, so my whole heartbroken the day after bid day excuse may not apply to her.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28StGreek View Post
I know this kind of behavior occurs at many other schools, and the petty competitiveness and rumor-bashing isn't even unique to the Greek system. (And that group-think issues go beyond college years)

Please correct me if I am wrong, but so far I have never heard of an incident such as this occurring at another school. Yesterday there was a student walk-out from classes protesting the KS email and "the social atmosphere at USC". And that social atmosphere they were protesting was not the one created by the Independent student body, but rather the Row's culture. Of course the walkout isn't specifically against The Row. But I think there is a feeling it is being made a scapegoat.

I didn't bring up reputations in my long post because I think they are just silly, but Trojanpride did mention how some girls would not talk to him after knowing what house he is in. This is the reason why I mentioned how after some one (Greek) asks for your name, they almost always ask what house you are in so they can make a quick judgment on whether to continue talking to you.

I am sure it happens at other schools, it probably may happen in the working world if you tell someone what company you work for, etc.

I hope what Trojanpride was actually trying to say is that sometimes it can be hard for a freshman (girl or guy) to look beyond college and understand that sisterhood/brotherhood is for life, etc., and that is more than which sorority/fraternity you are doing an Exchange with, or Songfest, or going to Homecoming. Especially when someone is saying "oh they're in XYZ house, thats the such-and-such house..." I think upperclassmen will be able to understand that no one will care after college what tier your house was in. But for freshman, maybe even sophomore transfers too, it can be hard in the weeks after bid day.

I can't imagine how mortifying for some girls must be on the Monday after bid-day when all the New Members are in their respective bid-tanks. And walking around campus instantly you are given a label just because of whichever bid day top you are wearing.

That being said, I realise that the OP is bringing this up now in the second half of Spring semester, so my whole heartbroken the day after bid day excuse may not apply to her.
Yes. I might not be one for tact, but I thought by giving actual examples of the horrible reps (and there are no positive reps) people could see firsthand how badly things have gotten, but instead I'm just a piece of shit.

Don't know the OP (I don't think) but a friend who's mom was a legacy really pushed her to rush, she got cut early on and she's still sad about it. Greek's such an important system here so I could see why.