GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,429
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Zae_TheCreator
» Online Users: 2,281
2 members and 2,279 guests
Cookiez17, Overthinker

Old 05-25-2007, 07:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Tell me about Virginia Beach

Phoenix had a great idea. I've talked to a couple people who live their and I'd like to open it up. I'm moving in August and want to know what I just got myself into. I already have an apartment, but I don't really know about other costs, like groceries, gas, etc. What's there to do? Likes, dislikes...Give me the skinny people!

Oh, please and thank you.

"My dreams have become letters." ~christiangirl
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-29-2007, 01:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JonInKC
Quote:
Originally Posted by christiangirl View Post
Phoenix had a great idea. I've talked to a couple people who live their and I'd like to open it up. I'm moving in August and want to know what I just got myself into. I already have an apartment, but I don't really know about other costs, like groceries, gas, etc. What's there to do? Likes, dislikes...Give me the skinny people!

Oh, please and thank you.

Went there once while on vacation. Loved it. Sorry I couldn't give you more info!

p a w e a since 1899
Old 05-29-2007, 03:05 AM

I know there's a few ODU students on here in addtion to those of us who went to high school in VA Beach. Why isn't anybody answering!?!

I visited last summer for the first time in 10 years so my knowledge is not current.

When I think of VA Beach I think (in order): military (lots of local Navy bases), tourists (VA Beach is a haven for Canadians and New Yorkers), religion (700 Club) and history (nearby Colonial Williamsburg).

Mainly in VA Beach you gripe all summer about the stinkin' tourists and wait until late September/early October for the Neptune Festival to signal the end of tourist season. http://www.neptunefestival.com/index.php

One of the greatest things about VA Beach is the location. Since, it's pretty much smack dab in the middle of the East Coast anything that the Tidewater area doesn't have can be found within a day or two day drive.
Old 05-29-2007, 10:05 AM
GC Member

Send a message via AIM to OneTimeSBX Send a message via Yahoo to OneTimeSBX
i live in Richmond, but my chapter is located in Hampton, about 25 miles from Va Beach. i also travel and stay there quite frequently.

i wouldnt mind living there, it has drastically changed in the past few years. i was down there about 2 weeks ago and was quite shocked at how much had changed in a year. there are always festivals and things going on, there is a very popular venue in Hampton that i go to concerts at all the time...its a bit pricier than the surrounding areas, but for some people its worth it.

my main warning to you is traffic. if you are from a big city originally, you'll be fine. but if not, it will be a complete shock to you. other than that i have actually considered moving there to work. and, if the mood strikes, you can always travel to Richmond, about an hour and a half away.
Old 05-29-2007, 10:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to KDAngel Send a message via AIM to KDAngel
I lived there for like 8yrs... and we still have a house there... anyway, gas is the same there as everywhere else. You can put the "local gas prices" tool on your iGoogle (you don't need a gmail account for this) to see what the prices are there currently at all the different stations.

Where are you coming from? Groceries in a super walmart are going to be pretty much the same as most other cities. If you ask for specifics I can help you out.

So yeah, ask for some more specifics and I'll do my best to let ya know.
Alpha Rho Chapter at the University of Maryland, PR Adviser: www.umdkappadelta.org
*COUNTRY FIRST* Conservative. Republican. Proud.
Old 05-29-2007, 11:29 AM

Send a message via AIM to Jill1228
I grew up there but moved away in 1992 (my family still lives there. I haven't been back since 2000 but I heard it has grown a lot!

I would have responded but it has been a long time since I have been back there
Old 05-29-2007, 11:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ziasha07 Send a message via Yahoo to ziasha07
I can answer pretty much anything about Virginia Beach. I've lived here since I was 3! However, like someone else said, specific questions would be great. What exactly do you want to know?
Spring 2009 #5 1000 Words Spring 2010 Beta Class

*Miss Nikon* Colors so vivid, you pose like *click, click*
Old 05-31-2007, 02:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Hmmm....weather? In Cali we have 4 seasons, but some places only "have" 2 or 3. And what about extreme weather? I'm TERRIFIED of hurricanes and tornadoes, but I think Z told me that's not a problem.

Thanks for the heads up on traffic--I've lived in 2 major cities, so I'm used to it. I'm one of those weirdos who like traffic--it keeps me from going too fast (I have a speeding problem).

Old 05-31-2007, 02:16 AM

HUMID!!! Especially compared to CA. Didn't I read that you lived in ATL for a bit? If so then it's nothing compared to ATL. Snow shuts down the city pretty quick so if/when it does fall you'll likely be able to just curl up in bed and wait for it to pass. Hurricane season doesn't take too hard of a toll on the city but you'll soon learn all about taping windows. What part of town you live in will determine how much the hurricanes actually affect you.
Old 05-31-2007, 02:47 AM
GreekChat Member

I just teared up a little at the mention of hurricanes. I'm going to bed.

Seriously, thanks. Yeah, I lived in ATL for a minute and I HATED the humidity, but it was great on my hair. I can deal with that. If I have anymore questions tomorrow, I'll post then (I know that I will).

Old 05-31-2007, 11:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ZTABullwinkle
I love it in Virginia Beach!

I have lived here my entire life! I love it here!

The tourists aren't so bad. We do get a lot of French Canadians who visit (one of out sister cities is Quebec.) There are the tourist spots, and the local spots to go to. Basically, stay away from the resort strip during tourist season (Memorial Day weekend to Neptune Festival, which is in the middle of September) unless you want to pay a huge amount of markup on everything!

Quote:
I just teared up a little at the mention of hurricanes. I'm going to bed.

Seriously, thanks. Yeah, I lived in ATL for a minute and I HATED the humidity, but it was great on my hair. I can deal with that. If I have anymore questions tomorrow, I'll post then (I know that I will).
Hurricanes are all talk. I have seen only two semi-bad ones in my 30+ years here. They usually hit the Outer Banks and die out before arriving here. Don't sweat them! I don't!

As for the humidity, it can be pretty bad, but if you survived Atlanta, you can survive Virginia Beach.

As for the weather, we have a saying around here...."Wait a mintue, it will change!" Seriously! We definitely have all four seasons, with some lasting longer than others. As for snow, if the circus is in town - IT WILL SNOW! (Have you been told about the blizzard of 1980 yet? You will! )

I am sorry that I only found this topic today. Hope I helped! Feel free to PM me with any other questions.

"Even in our sleep, pain which cannot forget, falls drop by drop upon our hearts. Until against our will comes the wisdom of God."
Old 06-01-2007, 02:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZTABullwinkle View Post
Hurricanes are all talk. I have seen only two semi-bad ones in my 30+ years here. They usually hit the Outer Banks and die out before arriving here. Don't sweat them! I don't!
Thanks! I didn't know cities had sisters. I know schools do, but cities? I had no clue. So, what's the Neptune Festival?

Old 06-01-2007, 10:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ZTABullwinkle
Quote:
Thanks! I didn't know cities had sisters. I know schools do, but cities? I had no clue.
The way that I understand it, we have a tourism office in Quebec to help persuade people to visit Virginia Beach. (this was how it was told to me many moons ago when I worked at a "tourist trap") I think we also have a city in Japan that is a so-called sister-city.

Quote:
So, what's the Neptune Festival?
The locals call this weekend "Take Back the Beach." There is a huge sandcastle competition (they are AMAZING!), a Boardwalk art show, fireworks and concerts. It is a lot of fun. I enjoy looking at the hotel balconies where families hang banners announcing there attendance to this years and many past year's festival. The weather is usually quite nice.

"Even in our sleep, pain which cannot forget, falls drop by drop upon our hearts. Until against our will comes the wisdom of God."
Old 06-01-2007, 12:14 PM
GC Member

Send a message via AIM to OneTimeSBX Send a message via Yahoo to OneTimeSBX
i think Virginia is the only state that when you wake up, you turn the heat on, have the ac on by lunch, and back to heat at bedtime...it gets a little schizo here. ive seen it snow in april, and hit 90 in January. its also one of those state where it will snow, hit 90, and rain all in one week...
Old 06-01-2007, 04:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Okay....I'll be right at home. I remember one day in ATL (years ago) when it was snowing as we went to church, but when we came out a couple hours later, then sun was out...but it was still snowing. Then, it hit about 70 degrees later that afternoon. We never had another day like that, but for goodness sake...