GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,127
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, asamathattso539
» Online Users: 1,500
2 members and 1,498 guests
indygphib, Sarak24034
Closed Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 11:56 PM

Am I the only one who had Justin Timberlake in my head singing the OP's username?

Bring it on down to Nittanyville...

At any rate...I'm sorry rush didn't work out for you. There are LOTS of other fun ways to get involved at Penn State so take a little time to heal and then get back out there.
Old 09-27-2013, 08:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Hang in there, Nittanyville. You never know what good things might be right around the corner for you. Wishing you all the best.
Old 09-27-2013, 09:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Am I the only one who had Justin Timberlake in my head singing the OP's username?

Bring it on down to Nittanyville...

At any rate...I'm sorry rush didn't work out for you. There are LOTS of other fun ways to get involved at Penn State so take a little time to heal and then get back out there.
Bring it on down to Nittanyville... Love those skits!

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 09-27-2013, 09:29 AM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
Nittanyville, I'm sorry things didn't work out yet on the Greek front, but with your positive attitude and level head, you're going to be just fine. Don't settle for something that your heart isn't into. You'll find your way for sure!
Old 09-27-2013, 09:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Normally, I am one of the first people who will tell you that you shouldn't have SIP'd (which I really don't think you should have done) and I won't feel the least bit sorry for you but, I really do feel bad that things didn't work out. I truly believe that you still can have success, in the future. I wish you the best of luck and remember that it's an awesome experience to be a Nittany Lion.
Old 09-27-2013, 10:23 AM
GreekChat Member

I had been at work all of 10 minutes this morning when I thought to myself "OMG--Nittanyville!" and rushed to check the forum. I'm so very sorry that things didn't work out for you. Best of luck to you as you navigate the days ahead.
Old 09-27-2013, 10:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: location, location... isn't that what it's all about?
Quote:
Originally Posted by als463 View Post
Normally, I am one of the first people who will tell you that you shouldn't have SIP'd (which I really don't think you should have done) and I won't feel the least bit sorry for you but, I really do feel bad that things didn't work out. I truly believe that you still can have success, in the future. I wish you the best of luck and remember that it's an awesome experience to be a Nittany Lion.
She didn't SIP, she ranked 2 out of 3.
Old 09-27-2013, 10:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittanyalum View Post
She didn't SIP, she ranked 2 out of 3.
My bad. No, normally I would tell a girl I don't feel sorry for her after doing that. I do feel sorry that she let tent talk get to her because all the chapters at PSU, as you know, are great organizations.
Old 09-27-2013, 10:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: location, location... isn't that what it's all about?
Quote:
My bad. No, normally I would tell a girl I don't feel sorry for her after doing that. I do feel sorry that she let tent talk get to her because all the chapters at PSU, as you know, are great organizations.
But she's a sophomore, she gave them all a full shot, if she knew that chapter wasn't for her, she knew it wasn't for her, it doesn't necessarily relate to 'tent talk', I give her more credit than that. And sure, 'all' organizations are 'great', but doesn't mean every chapter is a fit for everyone.
Old 09-27-2013, 06:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryPoppins View Post
Still pulling for you to find what you're looking for.
Totally agree MP!

Nittneyville, thanks for the recruitment story and your honesty.
Old 09-27-2013, 08:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Sorry Nittanyville But, as everyone else has said, The Main Campus is such an amazing place, you are bound to have a ton of fun no matter which path you take.

Thinking back to the last time I was in SC...for a work conference. Which is making me hungry...all we did there was eat, LOL!
Old 09-27-2013, 08:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Are there still service fraternities at Penn State? My daughter did not like any of the four sororities at the university she went to and chose not to waste anyone's time....even though one group did rush the daylights out of her anyway until she told them to just stop...my chapter was not on her campus btw. Anyhow, she got involved with a service fraternity...actually helped to rebuild the thing, and she still has strong bonds with the kids in that group 5 years out of undergrad. Find something Nittanyville, you will be a great asset to any group you end up joining. And please, if informal rush comes around or whatever they call it, take another chance. You don't know who you will end up meeting and what door will open for you. Not that my chapter was really successful when I was there and they changed rush my junior year...but I would say at least 50% of our new members came from places other than formal rush.
Old 09-28-2013, 12:57 AM

^^^I appreciate your enthusiasm, but it's not a good idea to recommend a service or professional fraternity or sorority as an immediate substitute for an NPC or IFC group. The two things are very different and there are too many times when a guy/girl joins a service or professional group and tries to make it into the social Greek experience they never had.

If Nittanyville comes to that eventually, maybe it'll be great, but she needs to get over her loss in NPC rush first.
Old 09-28-2013, 04:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Please stop assuming that I am missing your point. I'm not. You made it sound that because it worked at your smaller campus it will definitely work elsewhere. That was my point.
When did I say, "What my sister specifically did will definitely turn things around elsewhere, 100% of the time?" I even pointed out that having that one member of my chapter didn't completely turn things around for mine.

Quote:
Ummmm...Actually this is about her thread. She spoke about the "tier" situation at a school I attended. AST Alumnae made a statement about how tiers can change and it sounded as though she was implying it was easy to do at such a major university based on her experience. I disagreed. If you don't like me replying to this, then you don't have to read it. I don't appreciate being told that I "don't get it" or something along those lines when I do get the point of what someone wrote. When people make statements about how things may change a particular way at your alma mater and you correct them, I will be sure to say the same thing to you.
Again, when did I say it was easy? I never specifically said, "At Penn State main, tiers will change if girls do a, b, and c.." I said that I can't imagine tiers mattering all that much at PSU once you've received a bid (responding to what everyone else was saying). They're all great chapters, and there are so many people to get to know. You even said earlier that you had friends in all the chapters at PSU, and you love your chapter regardless of what anyone thinks. You're proud of your chapter, just like all sorority women are at Penn State. A bid to any of them would be an incredible gift.

I responded to AGDee who basically said the same thing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
So, for *those* chapters- give them a chance. Get to know them. Reps and tiers are BS in huge systems like Penn State.
And like 33girl said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
I think this is very, very true of schools in this area in general. Even at the hugest Greek system in the state!! It's not something that's a social must like it is in the South or an avenue to better housing like at some other colleges and I think that makes the people who go through it more bonded together as a community - not just to their individual chapter - since we may have explain more to non-Greeks why we made the choice we made. When you're with other people who "get it" there's a sort of emotional shorthand that occurs.
My other comments were AGAIN to point out that a lot of girls - in weak recruiting chapters, and strong recruiting chapters, and every type of chapter in between, at every school - forget that recruitment is a full-time job. They could all benefit from members who think outside the box and are willing to put themselves out there (not just in the example I described) to let people know that they're as awesome as they are. I never said that this alone would definitely solve all their problems. I said it MAY change perceptions and that having more girls who are willing to do anything and everything to make sure the world knows how great they are could turn things around.

I never pretended to know everything that goes on at Penn State. I simply pointed out (in continuing the conversation that was already occurring):

a) Penn State has so many people and such a large Greek system that I can't imagine tiers mattering all that much to Nittanyville if she received a bid, regardless of where the bid came from, and

b) many chapter members, in all chapters, of all sororities, at all schools, need to focus on recruitment (and PR, if you want to call it that) outside of the designated recruitment period set by Panhellenic.

:: phew :: ok...

The main reason that I actually came back here to respond was to say this...

I'm going to give you a piece of advice, that I hope you'll take to heart: You need to stop getting so butt hurt every time someone says something about Penn State that you don't agree with. Generally, when people have rational discussions about the school (or even when they just mention PSU in a sentence), and they say something that you disagree with, you fly off the handle.

Just because I attended a BRANCH campus (which you're always so quick to point out) doesn't mean that I love Penn State any less than you, or that I'm any less of a Penn Stater, or that I know absolutely nothing about the main campus and can't form opinions based on what I know and observe (just like other non-Penn Staters did here). I don't know if you've noticed this, but you make more enemies on this site than friends when talking about PSU. Perhaps you need to learn to be a little more rational when it comes to loving your alma mater.

@~/~~~~

Last edited by ASTalumna06; 09-28-2013 at 04:56 PM.
Old 09-28-2013, 05:27 PM
GreekChat Member

First the Alabamans and now the Pennsylvanians. Stop, please stop.
Closed Thread