GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,425
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, zenjaminusasdz5
» Online Users: 2,356
1 members and 2,355 guests
No Members online

Old 08-31-2012, 02:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Informal Recruitment Stories

Reading all of these stressful formal recruitment stories has made me really glad I did informal Spring recruitment. In some ways, I think I missed out though. I know if I went through formal recruitment, I still would have wanted my same chapter, but it would have been nice to meet more girls from other chapters.

Anyway, does anyone have any interesting informal stories?

Last edited by ADPiEE; 08-05-2013 at 12:20 AM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-31-2012, 03:55 PM
Super Moderator

Not much of a story really... I was working at a retail establishment back in 1998. A coworker (who later never joined and quit school) told me about this fraternity coming onto campus. I wanted to put myself out there a little more, but was probably a little intimidated at the whole fraternity Rush thing as I had never been much of a joiner.

I filled out an interest form, sat down for an interview with the folks from HQ. They extended me a bid and I was granted candidate status in the Fall of '99 and initiated in 2002.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 08-31-2012, 04:56 PM
GreekChat Member

I went through informal at my school, which only has 3 NPC chapters. Our informal rush is like formal, but you could pick and choose which chapters you went to (except for preference). I went to all three chapters' information meetings, philanthropy nights, and sisterhood nights. I was invited to two chapters' preference parties, went to both, felt a connection with the chapter I wanted, but we don't sign preference cards or anything. Basically it was up to the chapters who they wanted to extend bids to, and since there were like 5 spots available in each sorority and at each party there were only 3-4 people, it was just up to them to decide if they wanted you in their chapter. The Rho Gammas brought bid cards to our residences, but there was only ever one bid card they had for each person. I was lucky I got the chapter I wanted as it is highly coveted on my campus (we definitely don't have tiers due to the small number of chapters but my chapter has never struggled with numbers). I do remember that a lot of others going through thought I was going to be sisters with them.

I do think that with informal as well as formal it helps to expand your options. Go see the other chapters, even if you're not that interested in them. It gives you insight into how they work and why they love their organization. It definitely made me respect each of the chapters for what they were. And you may change your mind. I had friends in every chapter and would have been happy wherever I went, but I knew I had the best connection to the chapter I joined.
Old 08-31-2012, 05:00 PM

I actually posted my recruitment story here as I was going through COR, in real time (not retro.) This was originally under my old name that I had. I changed it after I got a bid.

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...ht=rush+thread

Lakers Nation.
Old 08-31-2012, 07:07 PM
GreekChat Member

I went through informal at UA. The way it was run wasn't the most convenient to PNM's though. We had to go to an information session at the MU where the director of greek life spoke to us. Then the sororities that were participating in spring recruitment (which I think at the time were all the house to varying degrees) had tables up.

The premise was you (PNM) would go to the houses you want, whenever you want. At the time I really wanted to go to Chi Omega, as a good friend from high school was in that house. But as it was January and dark out, I didn't feel comfortable walking to their house by myself. I went to the ADPi house with a girl I had met walking from my dorm to the MU. She had made it to pref night during formal but had to withdrawal due to getting mono, so was participating in informal recruitment. I went with her because I thought "what the hell".

Overall I had a great time. The chapter did one long continuous "bump", so I talked to so many sisters it was crazy. While I wanted to visit Chi O, I didn't feel like I could just interrupt and say "hey I want to check out a different sorority". I thought it would be rude to do that. When I was invited to come back the next night I replied that I would.

The next night, I had an even better time at the house. As it was informal I could just sit and talk to a bunch of the sisters and that is exactly what I did. I was sitting with a group of like 6 sisters having a blast. They were so sweet. One even ran upstairs to get some eye-drops for me as my contacts were drying out.

During the conversation the president came over and said that she wanted to talk to me. All I remember is that she said she wanted to do it in private and I was thinking "oh god they are going to say they don't like me and make me leave", I couldn't handle that so I was like "no, you can say what you need to say in front of the sisters". She then knelt down to me (as I was sitting) and said "the sisters of Alpha Delta Pi would like to extend you a bid" (or something along those lines). I immediately burst into tears and accepted the bid. The president was like "you can think about it". I was like "no I accept". Within seconds I was surrounded by the group getting hugs and welcoming me to the chapter.

Preference night was the next night and it seemed 10 times more special to me knowing that I had already accepted my bid.

While I wish I could have afforded to stay at the University, joining ADPi has been one of the best decisions of my life!!!!!!

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 09-01-2012, 12:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADPiEE View Post
Mine is pretty boring. I was a sophmore and went to a Big 12 school. Out of 12 groups on my campus, 6 were doing informal Spring "Rush" (this was 20 years ago). I signed up through Panhellenic. I was clueless and had NO recs for any groups!! I received invites to 4 group's events (dinner) and chose to go to "dinner" with two of the groups. I immediately knew which group I "fit in" with more so I signed their bid card :-)
I had a couple close friends in that house 20 years ago... really amazing sisterhood! Informal was always a great way for a lot of the houses to truly shine back before RFM leveled the playing field on that campus!
Old 09-01-2012, 01:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Mine's boring, too, plus it was forty-leven years ago.
But here goes:

I missed the deadline for formal rush, but I really didn't care one way or another. Good thing - I doubt I would have survived!
About a month after school started, I saw some signs stapled to telephone poles announcing "open rush" for sororities. There was no mention of which sororities were participating. You signed up in the Panhellenic office at the student center and waited until someone called you.

Around a week after I signed up, I got a call. A sorority woman invited me to dinner at the house on Thursday night. Back then, the most formal of dinner nights as Thursday. No pants, dresses only.
I accepted, and she said she'd come get me at my dorm. I liked her right away - she laughed easily and seemed thrilled that I was visiting.
We joined chapter members in the living room, and she introduced me to her roommate and several other sisters, including the president (I was so impressed). I loved the house, especially the living room which was filled with beautiful antiques. I loved the variety of personalities. The food was great. Everyone welcomed me enthusiastically!

A few days later, another sorority invited me to dine. The person who called had been my roommate during freshman orientation, and had taught me that certain sororities were "the best" on campus and certain sororities weren't. Guess what - she had wound up in one that wasn't (of course, I didn't know that then - I was open to any group).
This house - meaning the physical house - was the total opposite. It was new and sparsely furnished. It seemed cold and unfinished.

After a week, a third sorority called. The woman who met me at the door (neither the second nor third sorority offered to come get me) was from my hometown. I knew who she was, but doubted she knew who I was, since I was a nobody in high school. It seemed to me she was doing this under duress - now I would guess that she was just nervous.
This house had some antiques and some new pieces. The house itself was in a courtyard design, which I thought clever but also seemed to make the rooms feel smaller. Nobody really seemed to care if I was there or not. I was a little uncomfortable.

Next thing I knew, house #1 invited me to dine again. I declined an invitation to dine again at house #2. A couple of days later, house #1 offered me a bid, which I accepted.
Two weeks later, house #3 invited me to return...of course I was a DG pledge by then!

Old 09-01-2012, 08:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenidallas View Post
I had a couple close friends in that house 20 years ago... really amazing sisterhood! Informal was always a great way for a lot of the houses to truly shine back before RFM leveled the playing field on that campus!
I agree--I don't completely understand RFM but all the chapters are really strong now so it seems to be working (which is why its time for Gamma Phi to come back!)......I guess that's why HALF the houses back then did Spring Rush!