GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,572
0 members and 2,572 guests
No Members online

Old 10-02-2012, 06:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalady View Post
^^^^^^ ABSOLUTELY TRUE!!!

Please, please, Armywife, please believe us when we tell you this!

And I have written those rec letters from resumes and a conversation with the PNM that you dislike so much. I am not crazy about them either. I would much rather know the young lady personally, but sometimes, you just have to do what you have to do to help a PNM and trust your gut.
True - and those of us who write a lot of recs know "how" to write one - if you get my drift.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-02-2012, 08:30 AM
GreekChat Member

(To everyone that responded) ah okay, thank you! I can't even wrap my head around how much work it must take to sort out these thousands of recs and actually make sense of them! Props to all the women involved.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
True - and those of us who write a lot of recs know "how" to write one - if you get my drift.
My org's form specifically asks questions to this effect, so I'd bet others do as well.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I can't count the number of times I've told a PNM we already had a form on her! Strong alum groups work their high schools and send in forms on the women without their knowledge. It goes on everywhere. You cannot guarantee that there was no form on your daughter or any of her friends. If a group requires one, they'll get it. One way or another - and without your knowledge.
I've also seen examples where Annie Active's rush crush doesn't have a Rec and so Annie scrambles to get her one. Annie calls alumnae she knows, asks other actives from the PNM's hometown if they know alumnae who might know the PNM, searches through the alumnae directory in that hometown, etc. I doubt those PNMs ever knew they suddenly had a Rec submitted on their behalf.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zillini View Post
I've also seen examples where Annie Active's rush crush doesn't have a Rec and so Annie scrambles to get her one. Annie calls alumnae she knows, asks other actives from the PNM's hometown if they know alumnae who might know the PNM, searches through the alumnae directory in that hometown, etc. I doubt those PNMs ever knew they suddenly had a Rec submitted on their behalf.
An active who gets a rec for a PNM may also not tell a PNM this during recruitment because they don't want to 1. make them feel bad/imply they aren't wanted just for not having one and/or 2. make them think they will be guaranteed a spot in the house because an active likes them enough to find a rec. Active Annie might not have that much say in it, or PNM might end up too low on the bid list to be matched to XYZ, etc.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zillini View Post
Love those late night calls!
Old 11-04-2012, 06:54 PM
GreekChat Member

so just to be clear for my own sake, recs are going to be make or break at University of Alabama right?
Old 11-04-2012, 07:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbylouise View Post
so just to be clear for my own sake, recs are going to be make or break at University of Alabama right?
As stated really clearly on this list, YES you absolutely, positively must have recs for NPC rush at Alabama:

Quote:
Originally Posted by violetpretty
You Must Have Recs If You Are Attending Any Of These Schools:
All SEC schools (no exceptions!): Kentucky, Tennessee, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Auburn, Alabama, Ole Miss, Miss State, Arkansas, Vandy, LSU, Texas A&M
Old 11-05-2012, 01:17 PM
GreekChat Member

And, if any way possible, go for Panhellenic Weekend in the spring.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbylouise View Post
"Make or break" is not the phrase to use. You probably will get cut if you don't have them, but having them does NOT mean you WON'T get cut.
Old 11-09-2012, 06:28 AM
GreekChat Member

May seem like a dumb question, but for SEC school's spring recruitment, would recs be considered more or less important? And how much more value are placed personal recs vs info only recs?
Old 11-09-2012, 06:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Not to be snarky, but what part of "absolutely positively need" don't you understand????
Yes, they are needed in the spring. And yes, personal recs are needed. Info only doesn't cut it. They can get that same info from your registration form, FB page, school yearbook. The really true reason for the rec is the intangible - your character. And it isn't a recommendation unless the writer recommends you for membership - and an info only one does carry that recommendation.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Not to be snarky, but what part of "absolutely positively need" don't you understand????
Yes, they are needed in the spring. And yes, personal recs are needed. Info only doesn't cut it. They can get that same info from your registration form, FB page, school yearbook. The really true reason for the rec is the intangible - your character. And it isn't a recommendation unless the writer recommends you for membership - and an info only one does carry that recommendation.
Again, I acknowledge it may have come off as a dumb question, but I know at SEC schools informal spring recruitment is completely different from the formal recruitment held in the fall. Thought it couldn't hurt to ask.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:58 AM
Super Moderator

The structure of Spring Recruitment at UF is different than Fall Formal Recruitment, in as much as PNMs won't visit every chapter, because not every chapter will be able to take new members because those chapters are above campus total. Despite that difference, as Titchou suggested, a PNM going through Spring Recruitment at UF should make sure she has recommendations. It is the format of the parties that is different in the spring, not the "requirements" that the PNMs need to meet to receive a bid.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Exactly, FSUZeta. Only the format is different. All other rules apply.