GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Delta Delta
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,078
0 members and 2,078 guests
No Members online

Old 10-18-2004, 08:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Question Sarah Ida Shaw and other sororities?

Hello Tri Deltas!

I've been doing some research on the various NPC groups and came across something I found interesting/confusing. Hopefully you can shed some light on it!

Apparently Sarah Ida Shaw had a hand in the early development of Alpha Sigma Alpha, and possibly founded some other (women's) fraternities as well? ASA's website states she was even "elected to membership" as an ASA and ran the org for many years. Does this mean she was initiated into ASA? How is this possible? Was she considered a Tri Delta AND an ASA AND maybe something else? I thought the NPC frowned upon dual memberships (just kidding!! ... kind of ... I guess ...I'm confused).

Can anyone explain this to me?

Thanks!

Last edited by GreekFreak; 10-18-2004 at 09:39 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-18-2004, 09:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
Re: Sarah Ida Shaw and other sororities?

Quote:
Originally posted by GreekFreak
I thought the NPC frowned upon dual memberships
These sororities were founded before NPC was founded.

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Old 10-18-2004, 09:38 PM
GreekChat Member

I know NPC was founded in 1902, and I thought the ASA site said something about her being invited to membership or whatever in or around 1913.

Since she is a major fraternity founder, and this happened at the dawn of the women's fraternity movement, I can understand how this could happen. I still think it's kind of unusual, though. But what the heck do I know!?!

Needless to say, Sarah Ida Shaw sounds like she was a very cool and interesting lady.
Old 10-18-2004, 09:45 PM
GreekChat Member

While the NPC was founded in 1902, not all of the sororities that are around today were a part of it back then. ASA was a part of the AES (I forget what that stands for exactly, but it's something like American Educational Sororities), and they focused mainly on teachers' colleges until the 1940s or 1950s, I think, when they joined the NPC and branched out.

I'm not sure if Sarah Ida Shaw was initiated into ASA or not, but it wouldn't have been impossible because they weren't the same conference at the time, although they are now. She also helped to found a couple of sororities that are no longer in existence but merged with DZ and ZTA, I think (?).
Old 10-18-2004, 10:50 PM

s & s beat me to it :)

AES was the Association of Educational Sororities. The members were ASA, AST, Tri-Sigma, Delta Sigma Epsilon, Pi Kappa Sigma and Theta Sigma Upsilon. The first three are the only ones still in existence - Pi Kappa Sigma merged w/ Sigma Kappa and the other 2 merged with Delta Zeta.

The AES sororities often had members who were also in NPC groups - they were considered social/professional, in much the same way that SAI is today. I know I've seen obits that say "she was a member of Phi Mu and Alpha Sigma Alpha."

Ida Shaw Martin (the name she was using at the time) didn't get involved until 1913. We were founded in 1901.

~from our website:

Although Alpha Sigma Alpha installed 13 chapters in those early years, by 1913 Alpha Chapter was the only active chapter of Alpha Sigma Alpha. The chapter turned to Ida Shaw Martin, founder and past national president for Delta Delta Delta, for assistance. Mrs. Martin suggested that Alpha Sigma Alpha get in touch with Pi Alpha Tau from Miami University in Ohio, and as a result, Pi Alpha Tau was installed as a chapter of Alpha Sigma Alpha in May 1913. The two chapters recognized the insight that Mrs. Martin could provide and immediately elected her to membership.

At this point, Alpha Sigma Alpha decided to limit its chapters to teachers' colleges and colleges of education within universities. By October 1914 two other local groups were sufficiently interested in Alpha Sigma Alpha to arrange for a convention.

The Miami convention was held over Thanksgiving weekend 1914, with delegates from the four chapters present. In two days they adopted a constitution, formulated more elaborate ritual, made some changes in symbols and customs and arranged for a weekly publication, The Phoenix.

In the next years, The Phoenix was the central medium linking the chapters. It was edited by Mrs. Martin, who had been elected national president, and read like a family letter sent periodically to far-away children by a strong-minded mother whose experience and age gave her authority of opinion and action. The years 1914 to 1930 were formative ones for Alpha Sigma Alpha. Under the guidance of Mrs. Martin and the dedication of Alpha Sigma Alphas serving as national officers, the sorority began to flourish.

Last edited by 33girl; 10-18-2004 at 10:54 PM.
Old 10-30-2004, 09:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: s & s beat me to it :)

Excellent information, 33girl!
Quote:
Originally posted by 33girl
AES was the Association of Educational Sororities. The members were ASA, AST, Tri-Sigma, Delta Sigma Epsilon, Pi Kappa Sigma and Theta Sigma Upsilon. The first three are the only ones still in existence - Pi Kappa Sigma merged w/ Sigma Kappa and the other 2 merged with Delta Zeta. . . .
Just a clarification: Delta Sigma merged with Delta Zeta and Theta Sigma Upsilon merged with Alpha Gamma Delta.