GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,544
1 members and 2,543 guests
LaneSig

Old 08-12-2002, 07:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

Don't get caught up in where other people on your floor or rush group got invited back to. This is about where you want to spend your next 4 years (and lifetime membership!) so even though its hard not to get caught up in being semi-competitive with other rushees you need to keep your invites to yourself and FOLLOW YOUR HEART!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-13-2002, 10:56 PM
GreekChat Member

I wish I could say something really profound. I can't, so I will say something from the heart.

This has been a most unusual week. As many know, Albertson's is the Moms' meeting place. Today I ran into one of the original mom's from last year. We talked about this upcoming rush (yes, that's the term we old folks will ALWAYS use) and discovered one true thing. Sometimes, for reasons beyond our control, things don't go as we plan. All our lives we will meet challenging situations or right in mid stream-CHANGE OUR MIND. It happens all the time. Many girls from our area have changed their minds about recruitment, about their place in Greek Life, about their MAJORS for goodness sake. I think that this is all part of individuality.

I may sound like I'm a walking contradiction, but, here goes...

There was a great little article called "Welcome to Denmark" It basically spoke of a person who had planned on traveling to a certain location. The plans were changed and the traveler was presented with a NEW destination. The point of the story was, though it would have been nice to see Paris or Germany, let's give Denmark a look and discover all the beauty there is to offer.

Life is a lot like this. We may plan our journey with great care, but some times, things happens beyond our control, with no rhyme or reason and we find our selves someplace we never expected to be. It's a different place, a place we never thought of, a place that we never considered as we made our plans and schedules.
Yet somehow, through the mist we see the beauty of the morning sun, the expanse of the open fields and the bounty of it's people. Oh my, Denmark is wonderful, exciting and challenging.
Make the most of Denmark. I hear it's a beautiful place to be.
Old 08-13-2002, 11:50 PM
GreekChat Member

BRING FLIP-FLOPS TO WALK IN!!!!!!! I have SCARS from all my blisters that I got walking around Williams-Brice Stadium last year. One of the girls even asked the Rho Chi, "Is THIS considered hazing?"
Old 06-25-2015, 11:03 AM
Super Moderator

Does anyone have any more advice?
Old 06-25-2015, 11:20 AM
GreekChat Member

RFM and the expansion explosion the past 5 years have changed recruitment on many campuses, even some very traditional ones.
If you are a legacy, some chapters have 2 X quota going through recruitment so many may be released in the process. In house sisters seem to get preference these days compared to daughters and granddaughters, IMO.
So keep your minds open to every chapter and maximize your options. Being Greek is a very special privilege, no matter which letters you wear.
Many of us on Greekchat show that membership is for a lifetime, no just for your college days.
Old 06-25-2015, 11:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Please please - know the expectations ahead of time. Ask around or look up what will be expected of you if you become a member.
What are the expected dues?
What are the grade requirements or study hour requirements?
Are there other sisters in your major that could help you with studying or with classes?
How much time do you spend on sisterhood events or at chapter a week?
How much time (or $) can you expect to spend on your chapter's philanthropy events or on other Greek philanthropy events?

Joining a sorority is a great way to meet people yes! but we would love for you to hang around and do things too.

Plan on staying on campus every weekend at least until initiation (unless like you get the plague or your sister is getting married - maybe you need to crown the new homecoming queen?) You will MISS OUT if you go home every weekend. This is the best time to make new connections. Find yourself and make your home ON campus.
Old 06-25-2015, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HQWest View Post

Plan on staying on campus every weekend at least until initiation (unless like you get the plague or your sister is getting married - maybe you need to crown the new homecoming queen?) You will MISS OUT if you go home every weekend. This is the best time to make new connections. Find yourself and make your home ON campus.
This is good advice for ALL freshmen whether you go Greek or not.