GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,471
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, veasfrances2534
» Online Users: 2,112
0 members and 2,112 guests
No Members online

Old 12-16-2007, 05:31 PM
GreekChat Member

LSU (Louisiana) Informal "Spring" Recruitment 2008

Dates are January 25 - February 15, 2008

*** Not all of the sororities will participate

*** Recommendations are very desirable

*** The January 25 - February 15 period will be "structured informal recruitment"

*** Anyone who's even remotely interested (or who has a daughter, niece, cousin, friend, etc. who might be interested) should check out LSU Panhellenic's site for information:

http://appl003.lsu.edu/slas/greekaffairs2.nsf/$Content/+PHC+Sorority+Recruitment?OpenDocument
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-17-2007, 04:31 PM
Banned

It's great that they are allowing chapters below average chapter size to recruit (not just those below total). That should make room for women who might not otherwise have a chance. It's also great that they are being honest about the fact that you need recs at LSU. But come on...five chapters will be recruiting, and they list the rec addresses for TEN houses, and they don't tell you which five chapters will be involved and which five won't? I understand that there might be a stigma to being in the bottom half, size-wise, at a campus like LSU. Even so, it's not right to send PNMs on a snipe hunt for ABC recs when it's actually impossible to receive a bid at ABC this spring. It's also a big waste of alumnae's time if the recommending alumna isn't local to Baton Rouge and doesn't realize the ABC chapter has no openings.

Can someone from LSU explain? Would any halfway clued-in LSU student already know which five houses are recruiting?
________
BananaBunny

Last edited by Low C Sharp; 09-20-2011 at 04:52 PM.
Old 12-17-2007, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low C Sharp View Post
It's great that they are allowing chapters below average chapter size to recruit (not just those below total). That should make room for women who might not otherwise have a chance. It's also great that they are being honest about the fact that you need recs at LSU. But come on...five chapters will be recruiting, and they list the rec addresses for TEN houses, and they don't tell you which five chapters will be involved and which five won't? I understand that there might be a stigma to being in the bottom half, size-wise, at a campus like LSU. Even so, it's not right to send PNMs on a snipe hunt for ABC recs when it's actually impossible to receive a bid at ABC this spring. It's also a big waste of alumnae's time if the recommending alumna isn't local to Baton Rouge and doesn't realize the ABC chapter has no openings.

Can someone from LSU explain? Would any halfway clued-in LSU student already know which five houses are recruiting?

At the bottom it says: For specific questions, please email the VP of Recruitment lsurecruitment@hotmail.com.

If you specifically want to know WHO the sororities are, email her. I don't know where are you getting the "five sororities" from - I don't see that on any of the forms.

Not only that - they have to send this info out now so women have time to get recs, but who is participating isn't actually determined until January 18. Between now & then chapters could have members drop out of school or not come back for various reasons. Or they could have members who've been inactive return. For all we know, all 10 or none could be participating when the actual time comes.
Old 12-17-2007, 04:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to radioZTA Send a message via Yahoo to radioZTA
You must have missed this or else they added it after you looked:

"Only chapters not at average chapter size will be participating in spring recruitment which will be determined January 18, 2008. This list will be posted on the Greek Affairs Website. Recruitment recommendations for potential new members are highly recommended for chapters participating."

Looks like 33 & I posted at the same time.

Last edited by radioZTA; 12-17-2007 at 04:59 PM. Reason: duplicate
Old 12-17-2007, 07:32 PM
GreekChat Member

I see where Low C Sharp is getting the five chapters as participating. Regardless of what the chapter total might be, statistically speaking, half the chapters (in this case, five of ten) are likely to be below the average chapter size. However, as 33girl noted, more than half could be below total and be eligible to participate.
Old 12-17-2007, 09:41 PM

Mean or median average? It would make a difference. I know at SDSU they've used the median to set total every year after Fall Formal. Which means every year half the chapters are under total unless there's a multiple tie for the middle.
Old 12-18-2007, 01:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalGirl View Post
Mean or median average? It would make a difference. I know at SDSU they've used the median to set total every year after Fall Formal. Which means every year half the chapters are under total unless there's a multiple tie for the middle.
I *knew* someone would bring up mean or median!

Without knowing the specific chapter numbers at LSU to run a comparison, my guess is that using the median average might (should?) allow more women to potentially receive and accept a bid.
Old 12-18-2007, 01:45 PM

I think that most of the chapters at LSU are above campus total, hence "average chapter size." This way the smaller chapters can go ahead and bid above total if possible, so they can get caught up.

Hopefully one of the LSU ladies on here will weigh in
Old 12-18-2007, 04:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
I think that most of the chapters at LSU are above campus total, hence "average chapter size." This way the smaller chapters can go ahead and bid above total if possible, so they can get caught up.
That and also, so that women who may have missed fall formal have an opportunity before next fall.
Old 01-28-2008, 01:44 PM
GreekChat Member

2 Chapters are Participating

According to the Greek Life Office at LSU, there are only 2 chapters participating in Spring Recruitment - Kappa Alpha Theta and Zeta Tau Alpha. Does anyone know of the results?
Old 01-28-2008, 01:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
No results yet. It just started and Bid Day is Feb. 15.

Last edited by aopirose; 01-28-2008 at 02:00 PM. Reason: bid day