GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Careers & Employment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,467
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, Bioxtrim
» Online Users: 1,476
0 members and 1,476 guests
No Members online

Old 11-21-2012, 04:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Thinking about leaving my job--advice?

I work in defense contracting so I'm going to be keeping this as vague as humanly possible, but I'd like some advice.

I started at my client site in early September, and this is my first real job post-graduation. I did a full-time internship, but this is my first 'big kid' job. I absolutely love my direct supervisor and my 3 teammates, although I don't feel like I fit in very well with the rest of the project (they're all married w/kids, I'm 24). As I've gotten settled into my job, I'm realizing that I was hired to do something drastically different from what the job description said and what my background is in. The description was rather vague, but I'm being forced to learn how to code...which is a stretch for me and I'm struggling with. I can deal with that, as it is at least challenging and I am learning, but the job description didn't mention this whatsoever, and I would personally prefer something more in line with what I actually have experience in.

However, the work environment has become hostile and threatening, to say the least. I work for a company that, as a whole, is supposed to be in the top 100 'Best companies to work for,' but my time has been the opposite of that. Things started off fine, but over the past month or so, we've been getting increasingly large numbers of nasty emails from project management about employees breaking the rules, to the point of one employee getting removed from the project. We've never been given any rules that lay out what we are and are not allowed to do outside of vague guidelines of not letting it get 'distracting', and it's gotten to the point that we're not sure what we're allowed to even touch. Outside of work, several co-workers have said they are genuinely scared walking in the door every day, and I am also of that mindset. Several people have recently left the company after not being allowed to transfer to another company project, and I'm considering asking for a transfer to another project or looking for another job. I like the firm as a whole, but the environment at this project is getting ridiculous.

That being said, I have heard that leaving your first job (in general) before the 1 year mark looks awful on your resume. Since contracting is more fluid and people do tend to move from firm to firm, project to project, I'm not really sure what to do. I'm going to try to tough it out until at least springtime, but would leaving before next August be a black mark for me?
Old 11-21-2012, 05:25 PM
GreekChat Member

I would REALLY try to stick it out. Keep your nose clean and make sure you document everything you're doing, for your resume as much as anything else. The job market is still really rough so you can keep your eyes open for opportunities, Link In with as many people as you can, and look for opportunities to transfer internally, but not plan any big moves too quickly. If at all possible, discuss your feelings with your immediate supervisor, but it sounds like he's not the problem and possibly feeling as bad as you.

Do you know when contracts are up? The people at the top could be under a huge amount of pressure right now and shit rolls down hill. The good news for Americans is we are ending our war in Afghanistan. The bad news for the Halliburton's of the world (I don't have any idea who you work for) is a HUGE money train is screeching to a halt. If you would happen to get fired because of something ridiculous or even just downsized, you can deal with that later, but I'd really keep at it and just try the best you can to compartmentalize your work so that your entire life isn't under a black cloud of doom.
Old 11-21-2012, 06:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Defense contracting is a lot of 'contingent' hiring, so I've started reaching out to recruiters that I've had good relationships with in the past, they just didn't win the contract I was contingently hired for. I'm in the pipeline for a contract due to be awarded in June, but again, they don't know if they'll win it.

The contract I'm on is in place through at least early 2014, with the possibility of extensions. We're implementing a huge set of financial management packages and payroll packages, so there's a big staff for both development and then support once it's actually in place.

In terms of my immediate supervisor, I think he's just as confused as we are. Me and my teammates have gone to him and said look, do we need to remove the instant message software, do we need to start documenting every interaction we have with the client, etc. etc. and he doesn't even know what to tell us. At my internship agency, I was on the government side and we didn't treat contractors any differently, nor were they subject to anything that seemed remotely draconian, so I was really surprised to be treated poorly at this client site. It's a complete 180 from the defense-related experience I'd had in the past. We joke now that the next thing they're going to take away is our parking and give us a porta potty in the parking lot to use instead of the real bathrooms
Old 11-22-2012, 12:12 PM

Your supervisor needs to go to the project manager and tell him to issue CLEAR guidelines. Period. Also, this seems like another case of how people act has everything to do with them and nothing to do with you. The project manager may be on some sort of probation, or trying to prove themselves for a promotion, or stressed at home, etc etc etc. It's your supervisor's job to be the liason and make things un-hell for his workers.
Old 11-22-2012, 12:37 PM
GreekChat Member

One of the techniques for downsizing is to create a toxic workplace. Of course with contracting it doesn't apply, but for regular employees, if quit you don't get unemployment payments, which keeps the company's unemployment insurance rates low. At the same time, everybody has to work harder to cover the absent employee's tasks. Fewer employees, higher productivity, lowers costs for the company.
Or they just don't want to go through the mess of letting people go.
Sounds like that might be what's going on.

Old 11-22-2012, 12:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Your supervisor needs to go to the project manager and tell him to issue CLEAR guidelines. Period. Also, this seems like another case of how people act has everything to do with them and nothing to do with you. The project manager may be on some sort of probation, or trying to prove themselves for a promotion, or stressed at home, etc etc etc. It's your supervisor's job to be the liason and make things un-hell for his workers.
It also doesn't help we've gotten seemingly conflicting emails from the PMOs. We got an email that said to watch our use of X, Y, and Z but we were allowed to use them, but then the next email that stated someone was removed from the project for use of X, Y, or Z. It's nothing like I've ever experienced before. After discussing it with a coworker (outside of work, of course), we both came to the conclusion that the best course of action is to basically become a 'ghost'...which is sad, as everyone had told me that the best part about the project was the teamwork and collaboration amongst different teams.
Old 11-22-2012, 01:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Sounds like you should not plan to make this firm a long time job plan, but I agree that quitting or switching jobs before a year is out may be detrimental to your career...IF you make a pattern of it. Put out feelers. If you are able to find a better job, take it. That being said, you are going to have to accept what ever you get for a while, because switching jobs quickly at that point would look bad. Being a ghost sounds like a plan. Get over the idea that this was a good place to work. Maybe it is when you have a good team. You just lucked out with a bad one. Sorry.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 11-22-2012, 04:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Leaving a job in less than one year is something you can potentially get away with ONCE and only once. If you leave this job for a new one, you know that obviously some hiring manager is good with you working at this job for less than a year, so you're fine, but you pretty much have to stay at that next job for 3+ years.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:38 PM
GreekChat Member

It was definitely my plan to stay at my current firm for awhile, and I'm still not 100% sure I want to leave the firm. I'm going to try to switch projects first, so I can at least stay with the same company, however our PMOs haven't been letting people leave.

Ideally, I want to climb the corporate ladder on either the contracting or the government side. It's my ultimate goal to be a PDB-er or a Congressional briefer one day. It really upsets me that I'm even thinking about leaving so soon.

Thanks for all of your advice everyone! This is a tough situation that I was really not anticipating having to deal with at my first 'real' job.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IUHoosiergirl88 View Post
It was definitely my plan to stay at my current firm for awhile, and I'm still not 100% sure I want to leave the firm. I'm going to try to switch projects first, so I can at least stay with the same company, however our PMOs haven't been letting people leave.

Ideally, I want to climb the corporate ladder on either the contracting or the government side. It's my ultimate goal to be a PDB-er or a Congressional briefer one day. It really upsets me that I'm even thinking about leaving so soon.

Thanks for all of your advice everyone! This is a tough situation that I was really not anticipating having to deal with at my first 'real' job.
Yeah, you live and you learn. My first job out of residency was a shit hole. I had to stick it out 3 years until my husband finished fellowship. I learned what to ask for the next job. That job lasted almost two years and was a stepping stone for my current job. The rose colored glasses are coming off...not really a bad thing.

AOII

Old 11-22-2012, 11:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
Yeah, you live and you learn. My first job out of residency was a shit hole. I had to stick it out 3 years until my husband finished fellowship. I learned what to ask for the next job. That job lasted almost two years and was a stepping stone for my current job. The rose colored glasses are coming off...not really a bad thing.
Yep. When I was about 5 years out of school, I was at a place with a great culture and lots of flexibility. I interviewed somewhere for a LOT more money, and I couldn't put my finger on it, but something just wasn't right. I turned the job down, and looking back, I'm certain it was the right decision.
Old 11-22-2012, 11:35 PM

And sometimes things ARE right, and through just normal changes, a year later it's not the same company and you'd sooner eat your own head than go to work. It happens, and you can't beat yourself up saying you should have known.
Old 11-23-2012, 01:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
And sometimes things ARE right, and through just normal changes, a year later it's not the same company and you'd sooner eat your own head than go to work. It happens, and you can't beat yourself up saying you should have known.
So very true. All companies can go through tough times.

AOII

Old 11-23-2012, 02:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I feel like that's really what's happened with me. Most of my co-workers just keep saying that this isn't how (insert company name here) is, they've never had an experience like it with (insert company name here) and it's not how the project was.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Agree with others; leaving one job after a few months is not the end of the world. Creating a pattern where you can't stay ANYWHERE for more than 6 months is what is a problem.

I say you get a "get out of jail free" card about once every 10 years, where you can leave a job after a very short duration. Usually this occurs because you got there and it wasn't what you thought, or you got a MUCH better offer, or it was an awful fit, or things changed for the worse and the job became untenable, or you had the boss from H-E-double hockey sticks, or whatever.

In your shoes, I'd look HARD for a new job. Try not to leave until you have a new job lined up, both to avoid a gap on your resume and because new jobs do not tumble out of the sky.**

**If this job came to you fairly easily, don't be fooled into thinking that's how it always is, and that you'll have a new job inside of a month. That isn't usually how it works. Of the 5-ish jobs I've had in the 15 years I've been out of college, only 2 of them fell in my lap, and those largely because I was in the right place at the right time, with the right experience and right connections. For the rest? I had to hustle. Hard.