GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,059
1 members and 1,058 guests
No Members online

Old 04-28-2008, 07:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elleyk5187 View Post
a way to start fresh is to transfer schools. i did, so i didn't have a GPA. i went through recruitment right away & couldn't imagine myself anywhere else.

good luck!

Even if you transfer, don't you still have a college GPA that the sororities will see? (The answer would be yes.) I transferred schools and still had to put my college GPA on my recruitment application.

I am not sure about your situation with 'not having a GPA after transferring', but I think this is bad advice to give to other people. No sorority is just going to believe that you don't have a GPA if you transfer after the first semester of freshman year.
Old 04-28-2008, 07:38 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiley21 View Post
Even if you transfer, don't you still have a college GPA that the sororities will see? (The answer would be yes.) I transferred schools and still had to put my college GPA on my recruitment application.

I am not sure about your situation with 'not having a GPA after transferring', but I think this is bad advice to give to other people. No sorority is just going to believe that you don't have a GPA if you transfer after the first semester of freshman year.
Not only that, but it pains me to see anyone suggest transferring schools just to be Greek.

If a girl wants to transfer schools, let it be for valid academic reasons...not because she might have a better chance at recruitment.

I agree with smiley. That's some bad advice up there.
Old 04-28-2008, 07:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by polkadotpink46 View Post
I am currently a second semester freshman and I definitely want to rush next semester as a sophomore. I've had a hard time getting used to college and my first semester GPA put me on probation. I'm trying to get myself back on track and this semester I hope to get a 2.3 Overall though my cumulative GPA isn't great and I know that sororities definitely look at that during recruitment. I am taking one course over the summer but that can't boost my GPA.

I was always a good student in high school and involved in lots of activities. In college though, I'm struggling and am only involved in equestrian club.
I regret not joining a sorority this fall and since then I have been waiting and looking forward to rush. I have to say ZTA is by far my favorite chapter on campus. Is there any chance I could get into ZTA or any chapter for that matter with my GPA as it is? I don't want to wait until junior year because I'll miss out on a whole year and I really want to get involved more than anything. Basically what are my chances with my current GPA and recruitment in the fall?

By the way I go to James Madison University in Virginia

I highly suggest that you seriously take what other people here are saying to heart. You need to be releastic.

I would go as far as to say not to even think about recruitment until next spring at the earliest. You don't want to "barely" get in a sorority (if that is possible). Work on your grades and make yourself highly desirable academically. Get as far away from academic probation as possible! Take advice from someone who experienced academic probation very early in college. I went through a lot of hardship in college and had to take 7 years to finish a 4 year degree. I had to wait until junior year (also known as college year number 5) before I even had a successful recruitment. I won't go into detail but I had to concentrate on school before I could realistically consider rush.

Do yourself a favor and don't be so concerned about recruitment until you are "not struggling" academically.
Old 04-28-2008, 08:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Exxtra1908
I agree with those who are pointing out that your education should be your priority. You don't have to forget about Greek Life, but taking the time to improve yourself academically would be a win-win for you. First you would improve your academic standing and you would be a stronger candidate. Good Luck!

* D.C. Makes Way for AKA!*

Old 04-28-2008, 09:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTW View Post
Not only that, but it pains me to see anyone suggest transferring schools just to be Greek.

If a girl wants to transfer schools, let it be for valid academic reasons...not because she might have a better chance at recruitment.

I agree with smiley. That's some bad advice up there.
I agree... but the poster who suggested that appears to have a small history in suggesting transferring schools in order to be greek
Old 05-12-2008, 02:43 AM
GreekChat Member

I don't mean to butt in (just because I'm not in a sorority), but I need to say something about your GPA, polkadotpink. I'm passing a very good advice from a very good professor on to you. My sociology professor said that your undergraduate GPA is vital once you graduate. Having a low GPA will kill you.

For example, many of the grad schools that I'm browsing at (I understand that grad school is not for everyone, but I'm using it as an example) require a 3.0 overall GPA and/or a 3.0 GPA from the last 60 semester hours (or last 2 years). Plus, the average GPA is around the 3.2-3.3 range. Sorry to sound harsh, but if you plan to go to grad school and if you have a GPA like that (even with the schools that don't have a set GPA), then expect schools to send you thin envelopes with a rejection letters.

Also, one of my business professors said that if you apply for a job, and you have that kind of GPA, and the next person has a 3.4 GPA and you both have the same amount of experience and great personalities and attitudes, then the boss will choose the person with the 3.4 GPA.
*On a side note, some internships have a required GPA. Something to think about because internships are a necessity.

In closing, you need to shape up your grades, and yes, please retake the courses. I've retook Calculus and it boost my GPA. Your GPA and education are important for important things later on in life (i.e. landing a job or post-undergraduate studies). Plus, you'll be taking upper division (or level) courses where I've heard it would be much harder and intense
if you don't adapt good study skills now. I'm sorry for the long post, and please don't take anything that I have said too hard, polkadotpink.

This message should be true to not only polkadotpink, but to anyone who currently has a low GPA.

Last edited by sunnyhibiscus; 05-12-2008 at 02:48 AM.
Old 07-15-2008, 01:14 PM
GreekChat Member

You may want to inquire if they look at cumulative gpa or last semester's gpa. It is hard to bring up a cumulative quickly, but one good term shows your level of academic commitment. It is worth asking your panhellenic adviser on campus about.

Good luck.
Old 07-15-2008, 05:33 PM
GreekChat Member

According to JMU's sorority recruitment application / registration document:

"ACADEMIC RECORD RELEASE: I understand that to apply for recruitment, I must be a regularly enrolled, full-time student in good standing with James Madison University with a 2.0 or better cumulative GPA. Every chapter's GPA requirements will be listed in the recruitment booklet you will receive at the orientation session. I authorize James Madison University's Student Organization Services Office and Panhellenic Council to verify my academic eligibility."

https://secureapp.icsrecruiter.com/I...%20Recruitment

So it looks like JMU takes "cumulative" into consideration.

Edited to add: What I find a little unnerving is that JMU's Greek Life and/or Panhellenic evidently has "every chapter's GPA requirements," but they aren't giving them out until the orientation session -- is that right? Unless several chapters have a 2.0 requirement, I can just imagine the fun when a few PNMs show up at orientation, only to discover that they have, for all practical purposes, no chance.

Maybe JMU is just following the classic verse by Thomas Gray:

"Yet ah! why should they know their fate?
Since sorrow never comes too late,
And happiness too swiftly flies.
Thought would destroy their paradise.
No more; where ignorance is bliss,
'Tis folly to be wise."

Last edited by exlurker; 07-15-2008 at 07:16 PM.
Old 07-24-2008, 05:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Something else to keep in mind ... Assuming that you have the grades to apply for recruitment AND assuming you do not get cut because of grades AND assuming you are offered AND accept a bid, you will still have to make and maintain a minimum GPA academically to become initiated into an organization. I'm sure that it varies by organization but many only allow you to be a provisional member for so long (maybe 2 semesters) before you are released due to grades. You're then stuck waiting another calendar year before you would be eligible to go through the process again (would this be your senior year?).