GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 1,803
0 members and 1,803 guests
No Members online

Old 08-10-2004, 12:25 PM
GreekChat Member

I apologize -- I really didn't mean to offend anyone with my post. I guess I was throwing those names out there because they are good recruitment "looks". I'm a buyer for a large department store, so these designers are my reference points. By all means, these looks can be easily duplicated at stores like Oldy Navy or even found inexpensively on Websites like bluefly.com or ebay. I was trying to give PNMs a sense of what is appropriate dress with tangible examples. Even as an adult, I wouldn't be able to afford five outfits from these designers at full price -- that's why I said I'd buy them if I had an unlimited budget.

Once again, I stress that your conversation is what is most important. The PNMs who made the strongest impression on me were the ones who made me laugh -- recruitment is a stressful time for both parties, so humor is recommended more than anything else.
Old 08-10-2004, 12:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jhawkalum
I apologize -- I really didn't mean to offend anyone with my post. I guess I was throwing those names out there because they are good recruitment "looks". I'm a buyer for a large department store, so these designers are my reference points. By all means, these looks can be easily duplicated at stores like Oldy Navy or even found inexpensively on Websites like bluefly.com or ebay. I was trying to give PNMs a sense of what is appropriate dress with tangible examples. Even as an adult, I wouldn't be able to afford five outfits from these designers at full price -- that's why I said I'd buy them if I had an unlimited budget.

Once again, I stress that your conversation is what is most important. The PNMs who made the strongest impression on me were the ones who made me laugh -- recruitment is a stressful time for both parties, so humor is recommended more than anything else.
It's okay Jhawkalum - they are great outfits to try and duplicate since they're all classy and timeless looks.

and if anybody wants to buy me a Lilly, I promise I won't mind.
Old 08-15-2004, 01:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Rollergirl2001
I have another question. What about denim skirts for the first day of recruitment? My school says that a nice sundress, shorts outfit, pants, or skirt and the event is very casual. My school shows me that the girls are dressing in nice skirts, but no denim skirts. Is it okay for me to wear it? I have a denim skirt that comes down to my knees.

And oh, I agree with staying away from designers because it would make the other girls feel bad. I got a nice skirt (which is knee length, I may add) from Target for $15 and it's no prob to wear it to recuitment. You can go to Target or Wal Mart and find a good outfit for like $20-$40. So, there's no need to blow your money on something you will wear only once, especially all you non regular church goers.
Old 08-15-2004, 01:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by adpiucf
cremeegg,

I cleaned out my PM box!

Also, I think flip-flops, over all, are a no-no. HOWEVER, you are going to college in Los Angeles, which is decidedly trendier than the rest of these schools in terms of attire worn during recruitment. So I think you would be ok.

That being said, DO call the office of Greek Life at USC and ask one of the recruitment counselors. You might even bring the shoes in a bag to your Greek Forum/Kickoff (the Greek orientation when you meet your recruitment counselor) and get her advice.
I agree about the flip flops however if you see a girl from the "what to wear" brochure wearing them, then it's okay to wear them, but do no wear them to pref night. I also agree to check with your Greek Life office for the aokay signal.
Old 08-15-2004, 09:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rollergirl2001
I agree about the flip flops however if you see a girl from the "what to wear" brochure wearing them, then it's okay to wear them, but do no wear them to pref night.
Just my opinion, but I still wouldn't wear them even if they were in the recruitment guide. And i'm talking flip flops as in the really casual beach or shower shoe type ones. If they're just nicer dressy shoes that are more like slides, definately go for it. And I come from a northern, laid back system.

As for denim skirts, I really don't know. They're so popular right now, you'd think they would've included them in the rush booklet had they thought them appropriate??? But who knows.
Old 08-15-2004, 10:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to qteasied
What about flip-flop heels? My school's having informal rush this fall, and I was considering wearing nice jeans and a nice shirt, along with my flip flop heels. Girls in my school go everywhere with their flops EVEN IN THE SNOW... so I'm guessing that nicer flip flops with a good pedicure couldn't be too bad. But would I wear those badboys to FR? Hell no.
Old 08-16-2004, 04:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking memories...

Wow.... reading through some of these posts, I'm reminded of my adventure through UF rush... and how I kept a Greekchat thread about it. (i'm sure you can look it up somehow).

I'm headed to my last year as a Kappa, and I can't believe how far I've come. I actually haven't officially been on the other side of recruitment because I'm an RA-- and we fall under Pi Chi status (b/c of our access to freshmen girls)... but hopefully I can answer any questions you might have.

Anyway... I don't know what else I can say that UF56 hasn't already said. (which BTW, she was in my rush group! hehe) But just remember that the way you present yourself is very important. Whether it's name brand or not, if you look sloppy, the girls will remember that. Just be neat, pay attention to detail like getting your eyebrows waxed, painting your nails (at least a neutral color), and smile. Give every house a chance and don't listen to tent talk. It's going to be tempting... but just don't participate in it. Not only will you offend girls who like the house yo'ure trashing... but you'll offend your Pi Chi as well.

PM me with any specific questions... I haven't posted on this site in a while... but it's always nice to read rush threads! Let us all know how your first day went.

Meanwhile... I'm waiting for Bid Day when I can see all my sisters and pick up the new girls from Norman Field!
Old 02-09-2005, 11:47 PM
GreekChat Member

I know that I need to keep my mouth shut, because I'm still a new potential member, but I can't help but noticing the attire for Arizona State

http://www.asu.edu/mu/greeklife/what_to_wear.htm

For round 2, the girl at the end is wearing a one shoulder top. I feel that the top is for clubbing.

The round 3 pic shows that the same girl now second from left is wearing low rise pants and a top that shows her tummy. Uh, what?

Okay, I know it will be hot during fall rush in most areas, but those clothes that I told you about look like they're for clubbing. The others are fine. The "clubbing" clothes like everyone said is a big no-no, especially in southern schools. That's my opinion, so I'll shut my mouth for now about this.
Old 02-09-2005, 11:57 PM
GreekChat Member

culture of the campus

I see what you are saying, that is why it is all about dressing for the "culture of the campus" --- those pictures are obviously what flies at ASU/in a warm climate and what some think of as a "party school".

At U of Texas, most of the girls going through are wearing Ann Taylor, Banana Republic, Harold's, Nordstrom, etc. with great shoes and accessories --- you want to ask everyone who goes by where they got their outfit!

It just reinforces some of the previous discussions that rush clothing varies from campus to campus. As a PNM, take your cues from the girls you see in the sororities and the other girls going through with you.

Last edited by TxAPhi; 02-09-2005 at 11:59 PM.
Old 02-10-2005, 12:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: culture of the campus

Quote:
Originally posted by TxAPhi
I see what you are saying, that is why it is all about dressing for the "culture of the campus" --- those pictures are obviously what flies at ASU/in a warm climate and what some think of as a "party school".

At U of Texas, most of the girls going through are wearing Ann Taylor, Banana Republic, Harold's, Nordstrom, etc. with great shoes and accessories --- you want to ask everyone who goes by where they got their outfit!

It just reinforces some of the previous discussions that rush clothing varies from campus to campus. As a PNM, take your cues from the girls you see in the sororities and the other girls going through with you.
Well, I went through rush last fall and the girls dressed real nice. No low rise pants. If they were pants, then they were mid rise with a nice top. I know that ASU is a party school, but there are some things that are not appropriate for some things. When you dress for rush, it's all about dressing classy, except for Philantrophy Day.
Old 07-12-2005, 10:10 AM
GreekChat Member

What is the general consensus on halters?

I read the posts about them earlier in the thread but I'm still a little confused. I was planning on wearing a halter dress to the video round, which is the round before prefs, but now I'm not so sure. It's a dress that I feel very comfortable in (I wore it once around campus and felt like a princess, several different girls who I didn't know complimented me on it!) and it's an understated, classy print and cut pretty high - it's not something that you would wear clubbing at all. But is it just a flat-out "don't" because it's a halter?

I will be going through recruitment at UF as well if that makes a difference.
Old 07-12-2005, 10:50 AM
GreekChat Member

If your breasts aren't spilling out of it, it should be fine. But if you have a large chest, I would advise against a halter.
Old 07-12-2005, 11:32 AM
GreekChat Member

I agree about the halters (dresses or tops). Unless you have a fabulous upper body, it might not be the best look. Even then, I've seen alot of PNMs tugging at them to keep them in place as they sit.

My particular pet peeve is strapless during any stage of Recruitment. I've even seen women with perfectly fitting strapless dresses tugging at them. It's just not attractive. Then of course there are those with a little too much up top that really have no business wearing one in the first place. *shudder*

Most of the suggestions here are right on target. But here's some of my general advice for all stages:

- Do not wear anything too form fitting or too short. It is not only unattractive, but uncomfortable.

- Be careful if you are someone who is able to go bra-less. Many houses crank their air conditioning because with all the door opening they don't want it getting too warm inside by the end of the day. I sure you all get what I'm implying.

- Do not wear brand new shoes. You're going to be on your feet alot walking from house to house and you don't want blisters. (Back in my day at U of Illinois alot of PNMs would wear tennies or flats to walk from house to house, then change before entering.)

- Do not wear sky-high heels if you can't walk in them well. I've seen tons of women who are wobbly in their stilettos. They may be the cutest shoes in the world, but if you look like you're about to topple over then you've ruined the look.

- If you have a tattoo, ask around to get a feel of how the different GLOs feel about them. Some chapters/campuses don't care at all, but at others it's a big no-no. You may want to cover it with either clothing or some of that heavy makeup.

- Steer clear of fabrics that wrinkle easily. By the 2nd house you'll look like you just rolled out of bed.

- Consider how your clothes and hair react to heat, humidity and possibly even rain. (Bama's had rain at least 1 day in pretty much each of the last several years.) Choose styles accordingly. (I'll never forget one PNM who got soaked during a sudden downpour. Not only was she drenched, but her dress became practically see through. Obviously not her fault, but still something to think about.)

- Pref night can be very emotional. Consider wearing water-proof mascara.

Last edited by Zillini; 07-12-2005 at 11:35 AM.
Old 07-12-2005, 02:36 PM
Super Moderator

gatorgirlie, my daughter(hs senior) wears a size 0 and weighs 93 pounds, she is 5 ft tall. needless to say, she is not very big , chest wise. she has a black, thick knit fabric halter top(lined) which she wears with a medium sized-print, black and white a line skirt and black strappy sandals, which have a medium high heel.the skirt and halter top were purchased at the gap a year ago. the dressy casual outfit looks fabulous on her and i would not hesitate to advise her to wear it for recruitment on 3rd party day(the party before prefs) if she stays in florida for college. she has worn it to award ceremonies at school. it does not look clubby in the least.

i don't think complete strangers would have stopped to compliment you on your dress if you had not looked good in it. if it compliments you and your feel good wearing the halter dress, then you will feel confident and that will shine thru. but if you fidget in the dress, or tug at it a lot, it might be better to choose something else to wear.
Old 07-12-2005, 02:52 PM
GreekChat Member

halter dress

Ok for Pref Round I was thinking of wearing this black dress I bought last year. It is a halter, is rouched through the body, and has a 3 tier skirt. It's really cute and fits me perfectly ( I am suuuper tiny and have a hard time finding clothes that fit me right, especially dresses - so I was kinda banking on wearing this, not looking forward to finding another one). I am def a small girl on top too, so I don't think it is overly sexy since nothing is spilling out. Also, all the other dresses I've seen when I go shopping are either halters or tube tops. Does anyone think the dress i have would be a problem to wear?