GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,275
0 members and 1,275 guests
No Members online
Closed Thread

Old 07-17-2002, 07:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Saturday Night Live

A good friend of mine dropped Tri-Delta because she had seen a SNL clip.

In the sketch, one of the players answered the phone with the line 'Delta Delta Delta can I help yah help yah help yah?' She could NOT get over this, because she said she would never be able to answer the house phone with a straight face!!!
Old 07-17-2002, 08:30 PM
GreekChat Member

I clearly remember dropping one chapter because their color scheme for one party was light blue + light green. Yuck. That, plus the fact that the person who I talked with for most of the party had on too much eye makeup (although we had a perfectly nice conversation), pushed me over the edge. Wonderful reason, yes? Fortunately, my other accept/regret decisions were more rational.
Old 07-17-2002, 09:15 PM

Send a message via AIM to MUPhiMuKHap
Wink Wanted a nickname!!!

Ok this is really stupid, but I just remembered this. When I went through Recruitment I had NO clue about anything having to do with Greek life, therefore my desicions at first were based on some pretty dumb things. So, on our info day, I decided immediately that I didn't like any of the house that couldn't be called by a nickname.

For example, I liked ADPi, Tri Delt, Gamma Phi, Kappa, A Phi, Theta, etc. You get my point. So every sorority on my campus can pretty much go by some kind of nickname like that, except for Sigma Kappa and Phi Mu. They just go by their names, which I didn't like. I wanted a cute nickname damnit! But luckily, I got over that weird thing and look at me now, proud to be a Phi Mu! Funny how those things work out.
Old 07-17-2002, 09:31 PM
GreekChat Member

One of my bros transfered from Cal State Hayward, where they have Delta Chi (we don't) Anyway, he said he talked to one of the potential new members back when he was at Hayward, and the guy said he didn't want to be in DX because it had too much of a resembelence to the DX that was in the WWF, and the guy absolutly HATED wrestling.
Old 07-18-2002, 01:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I'm deathly afraid of our Hannah....
LoL...We had a joke for a while about evil hannahs here, too. I read a scarey story once about an evil raggedy ann doll, so I told everyone about it. Then we had a date function at Halloween Horror Nights (at Universal Studios), and while there, we saw a parade with a lady dressed up as an evil raggedy ann! So we always joked about our "scarey mascot". But in actuality I love our Hannah...she's so cute!
Old 07-18-2002, 02:04 AM
GreekChat Member

I like Hannah, I don't think she is scary at all! Didn't any of you play with dolls when you were a little girl? Everyone in my house gets a Hannah doll from their big sis, and this one big sis got her little a gigantic Hannah i am talking like 3 feet tall, it was a little scary like any other doll that is that size but we all joke and say it is Hannah on steroriods! No one is scared of her! In fact i have never heard anyone not liking Hannah or the anchor. In fact many girls relly like that about our house during rush and always tell us how they want an anchor for their wall as well!
Old 07-18-2002, 02:15 AM
GreekChat Member

I know before coming to butler I wanted to rush so I looked at all the websites of the chapters at BU and I didn't like the Pi Phi website (it was the old style one) and I thought that the chapter must be bad if it had a jank website. I remember I wanted to be a DG just because there was a journalist in their famous alums and I was like wow! a serious sorority! When I visited butler to spend the night the girl I stayed with wasn't greek but she was friends with a lot of Alpha Phis so I thought that it was going to be Phi all the way for me. It's funny looking back over this. I also remember not wanting to be in one house because the girl went, "ooohhhh...how HORRIBLE" when I said I went to an all girls catholic school for high school.
Old 07-18-2002, 08:53 AM

Send a message via AIM to maggieaxid
A friend of mine dropped Phi Mu because they had someone dressed up in a giant pink pather costume (their local mascot) and she is dealthy afraid of giant animal costumes!
Old 07-18-2002, 09:57 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm kind of embarrassed reading all these dumb reasons cause i think them sometimes! I'm rushing in the spring and there's so many sororities at purdue, i'm dying to narrow it down!

I don't know much about any of the reputations except for a couple, so it's turned into cute colors vs. cute mascots vs. cute letters. I'm not sure if 'prettiest houses' is considered a dumb reason, but considering the fact that is has NOTHING to do with the actual sisters is probably is!

Well, i know in the back of my mind these are not the things that matter, but its just some thoughts to enetertain! we'll see when rush comes around...
Old 07-18-2002, 10:41 AM
GreekChat Member

This is sooooo CRAZY, because I remember myself using the same "l0gIc" for cutting houses that MANY have listed on this board-from colors and mascots to pins! also bought into the "reps" and rhymes, didn't want ANYone refering to me as easy or such.

For most of these reasons mentioned, nothing can be done. I guess what we, as alums, should do is educate our OWN kids and promote a healthy respect for all GLOs.
But... if you don't look good in green, who can blame ya?

shhhhh-I also thought 3 letters were better than 2!
Old 07-18-2002, 11:18 AM
GreekChat Member

I guess I remember thinking some of this kind of stuff, but I don't remember cutting any houses for it. Of course, with only five chapters, I didn't feel overwhelmed with choices. It might have been very different if I had 15 chapters to choose from instead!

Although I did drop one chapter just because they had big hair ...
Old 07-18-2002, 12:20 PM
Super Moderator

I have been rolling in the floor with these. I wish that actives everywhere could see some of these reasons! Although they'd probably have to admit that they used some of the same logic.

I think it's worse at really big campuses. You have 14 chapters that you have to cut down to 9 and all the letters, colors, and mascots are whirling around in your head and you just start making desperate decisions!
Old 07-18-2002, 02:04 PM
GreekChat Member

When I was a Rho Chi my senior year, there was a girl during prefs that was the last to leave, and I was one of two Rho Chis left waiting on her. She could NOT decide between DG or ZTA, and ironically enough, the other Rho Chi was a Zeta and I a DG. It was too funny to hear her trying to rationalize which sororority to pref - she was seriously grasping for anything to sway her one way or the other. She'd say things like "Well, I like bunnies and strawberries, but I also like anchors", or "I don't really like pink and blue, but I do like turquoise and gray..." All we could do was sit back and laugh to ourselves, and feel bad for her predicament. And I have to say it was hard not to root for our own GLOs!
Old 07-18-2002, 02:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Just out of curiousity how did she end up deciding and where did she go...ZTA or DG
Old 07-18-2002, 02:28 PM
GreekChat Member

You know, I'm embarrassed to say, but I'm not exactly sure. There are so many rushees that go through, and our pledge classes are so big that I couldn't exactly remember which girl she was. My hunch would say she went Zeta though, because there was only one other girl that resembled her in that year's pledge class and I don't think it was her...
Closed Thread