GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,406
2 members and 2,404 guests
navane, PGD-GRAD

Old 07-12-2001, 03:12 AM

Question Sports? Student govt? Another rush question!

How much do sororities look at your HS activities, like student government or sports...or even to that the activities you did @ the Junior college you transfered from??
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-12-2001, 04:06 AM

Question

Oh yeah...another question that is about "suiciding" during rush. If I decide to pick only one soro (suicide).. will everyone (other sororities) find out? Does the sorority know you have picked only them?
I'm kinda confused on this topic. And do sororities, for example XYZ prefer that you suicide for them and they know this before they bid for you?
Old 07-12-2001, 08:01 AM
Super Moderator

The sororities shouldn't know that you suicided unless you don't get a bid from your suicide choice. Also, if a sorority urges you to suicide, watch out! They can in no way guarantee you a bid and you may get left out in the cold come Bid Day.

That sorority will never know you suicided unless they don't give you a bid and you don't get a bid from anyone else--then it'll be obvious. Think twice before you do this! If you suicide and your favorite chapter fills up,there may not be a space for you until next fall and your school might be one of those that prefers freshman pledges. Also, some schools discourage suiciding by preventing rushees who suicide and don't get a bid from pledging for a calendar year.
Old 07-12-2001, 10:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Each sorority is different in the way that they look at activities. This just gives the active sisters ideas about your personality and interests. But, your high school activities are not going to determine whether you get a bid. Also, I would discourage suiciding. I didn't get asked back to the house I thought I wanted to be in, but now, looking back, I am much happier to be where I am. The other sororities will never know that you did that, however don't short change the other sororities, even if you don't get your first choice. You always have the option of dropping before pledging or initiation. Hope that helps.
Old 07-12-2001, 02:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AngelPhiSig
Although I dont recomend it, I suicided... and Im lucky it landed me in Phi Sig! I was still kinda dumb about how recruitment worked and thought that if I got a bid from my second choice, I would have HAD to go with them!! (ahhh dumbness!) hehe

<3 Ali

(If you're reading this... HI RHO CHEEEE!!! - aka Kirsten... lol... <3 )

------------------
"...A dynamic sisterhood of powerful and passionate women maintaining uncompromising principles, igniting positive change, and embracing individuality!"

Phi Sigma Sigma - Gamma Gamma Chapter
---
1-9-4-6 Doohretsis!

Tau Beta Sigma - Delta Omicron Chapter
---
Go Golden Chickens! I mean EAGLES!

There are only a few good things that came out of Clarion- Chris Kirkpatrick of NSync, Kurt Angle (Pre WWF!) and any PHI SIGMA SIGMA!
Old 07-12-2001, 05:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to erniegurl00 Send a message via Yahoo to erniegurl00
[QUOTE]Originally posted by carnation:
Also, if a sorority urges you to suicide, watch out! They can in no way guarantee you a bid and you may get left out in the cold come Bid Day.

Make sure to tell your Rho Chi if this happens during rush. No sorority sister is supposed to tell you that you will definitely get a bid and especially if they are telling you to suicide them! Dirty rushing is a big No NO during rush.

[This message has been edited by erniegurl00 (edited July 12, 2001).]
Old 07-12-2001, 08:04 PM
GreekChat Member

About the high school activities - include everything! When your're putting organization on your appilcation make sure to include how long you were involved and if you held any offices and what offices they were. Seeing rush from the other side now, I see soo much stuff I should have included to make my application stand out that much more.

------------------
Through bitter and sweet, through gain and defeat, cherish the thought that there grows. And the thought in the heart of the rose will gladden your lives hour by hour and dear love's beauty will glorify duty with the blooms of our bright Alpha rose.
Old 07-12-2001, 09:58 PM
GreekChat Member

I won't lie sororities will encourage you to suicide/single intentional preference. If not outright they do it subtly. You feel so special at the first pref you go to you just want to go write only their name down and go home dreaming of being a XYZ.

BUT what the sororities DON'T tell you is they typically have 3X quota back at pref (and invite even more than that to end up with that number attending their party). Are you 1 in 3? Do you like those odds? Maybe don't write all three choices but at least put down your top 2.

Old 07-12-2001, 10:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation

Interestingly, due to the process of bid matching, you are less likely to get into your first choice if you suicide, then if you listed all the sororities you pref. I believe this is done to discourage suicide and to reward those potential new members who maximize the recruitment process.
Old 07-12-2001, 10:53 PM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
Aphigal, I couldn't agree with you more. The odds are stacked against anyone who suicides. I think it's important to give other groups a chance. If you limit your choice to one, you could end up with none, and you will never know if you could fit in with other groups.

Old 07-13-2001, 09:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to LeslieAGD
Suiciding is bad! Honestly, even if you go through recruitment dying to be in only one sorority, truth is that there is usually another house that you will fit into just as well.

Example: One of my pledge sisters went through recruitment and was given a verbal bid into another sorority. When bid day came around she didn't get into that sorority, or even into her second choice. AGD happened to be her thrid choice, almost an after thought. She was so bitter that she didn't get into her 1st choice that she didn't really give AGD a chance. The first few weeks of our pledge period she was distant, uninvolved, and many of us disliked her. However, when she finally came around and realized what she was missing, she opened up and ended up becoming one of our stronger rushers.
Old 07-13-2001, 02:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PiPhiAlum:
Interestingly, due to the process of bid matching, you are less likely to get into your first choice if you suicide, then if you listed all the sororities you pref. I believe this is done to discourage suicide and to reward those potential new members who maximize the recruitment process.

I'm curious what bid matching method you are using that creates this situation. If bid matching is done correctly (or at least correctly as told by NPC) single intentional preference (or suicide as many of you have referred to it) does not reduce your odds of getting a bid to your first choice.

Some schools do have programs in place (such as guaranteed placement) that reward women that do put down as many choices as allowed but do not receive a bid through the bid matching process. I suppose this could be seen as increasing your odds of getting your first choice but in reality, it's just increasing the odds of receiving a bid in general.

I'm just curious if your campus is using a bid matching process that I am unfamiliar with.
Old 07-14-2001, 12:09 AM
GreekChat Member

PiPhialum you wrote:

From my bid matching experience I really do not seem how that would happen. Suicides are not placed in a diff pile or treated any differently, unless that 1st choice house has closed.
Old 07-14-2001, 02:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 33girl:
Re suiciding decreasing your chances, if a school uses a computer program, can that have any effect? Like I remember when I took the SAT's they told us it was better to put a wrong answer down than no answer cause if we didn't fill anything in it would make the computer go whacko...is the bid matching thing the same? Like if it doesn't see 3 (or however many) choices it will throw you out?
Hey 33girl! Well, re: the SATs, it's better to put down an answer if you can at least eliminate one (much better if you can elim. 2), so your chances are at least 1 in 4. If you have no idea of which answer is wrong or right, it's best to leave it blank - blind guessing usually costs you.

Old 07-15-2001, 12:39 AM
GreekChat Member

I have always been under the understanding (but this goes back years)... If you have two pref parties and you do not suicide and you are mismatched, then PHC will try their best to snap bid you into one of the two sororities you prefed, if not another chapter on campus. If you suicide you are out of the picture completely and are not available for snap bidding (though you can COB). However, I, like everyone else have been known to be wrong occasionally.

My experience: A rushee when I was Rho Chi listed her two choices in order. Unfortunately, both sororities made their quota's before her name was matched. Because we tried to maximize the potential new members (rushees in my active days) chances of pledging a sorority we pledged over quota and placed her with her first choice (it could have easily been her second, but as it happens her second choice was already two over quota). Had she suicide, she would have not gotten a bid (only the option to snap bid or COB into a sorority that did not make quota). All rushees were talked to about going suicide, it decreases your chances of pledging and there is often more than one house you fit into and would be happy as a sister. Rush week is a very intense, emotional, confusing week for young women (who are often away from home for the first time).