GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,450
1 members and 1,449 guests
MSKKG

Old 08-19-2000, 08:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, I would say that it depends on the greek system at your school. In the south, greek life is taken very seriously, and it can get very snotty and cliqueish. It has many wonderful sides to it, but it has some very ugly sides to it as well. Part of my reason for wanting to be a member was to try and change that. To make rushees feel like they were scrutinizing my chapter, not completely the other way around (no matter what they say to you, it almost always feels that you're being examined by the chapter, especially for the first few rounds). Anyway...excuse that tangent...

My advice is to follow your heart. If you think you can stand it if you are cut from all of them, go for it. You may be pleasantly surprised. If you don't get a bid, think of it this way: Would you really want to be a part of a group that doesn't want you?

Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-20-2000, 08:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Ok, I know you are all dying from suspense:-)
I decicded not to join a house at this time. And in my heart that is the best decision for me at the time. I went to the three pref parties and had nice conversations with the girls and the ceremony was lovely - but I just didn't feel it. Everyone I know in a sorority tells me that when you find your house, you just know it, you feel it. I didn't feel it last night so i decided not to sign my prefrence card. And thats ok with me. I can always informal rush or rush again next year. Thanks for the advice everyone - i definitely took it into consideration. I may always wonder which house I would have been in - but at least I won't be wondering why I joined a house in the first place :-)
Old 08-20-2000, 08:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Red face

I never in a billion years would have thought it would turn out like this!!!!!
Old 08-23-2000, 01:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by preppie:
I never in a billion years would have thought it would turn out like this!!!!!
Ditto.

But you followed your heart-that's brave!
Old 09-21-2000, 11:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Well tonight we have pref parties to go to. I already got cut from 6 out of 8 sororities, so I only have 2 pref parties to go to tonight, and I'm not sure I'll want to join either of these 2 sororities. When we had our first parties with them, I didn't feel any connection with them at all, so I will probably not sign my pref card tonight either. I don't want to be obligated to join a sorority that I won't be happy in, because that's not fair to me or the sisters. I might attend open houses and such, but I will not rush again. The disappointment this time was a little too much. I really felt connected with ZTA, but apparently they didn't feel that way about me... how do you deal with something like that?
Old 09-24-2000, 06:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Look over your shoulder, I could be right behind ya!
Wink

daisymargarita, i just read your post on the other board about joining SSS and its funny how one day you feel one way and the next another! I'm glad you joined us!

I too had this happen to me. SSS was a local when I pledged and I thought I wanted SDT. THANK GOD I WENT WITH MY GUT!!
Old 09-26-2000, 08:14 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Siobhan
Talking

I am very happy to say that the sisters of Delta Phi Epsilon at UBC had a very successful rush this year!! I had my doubts at first because this year had the lowest rushee turn out that I have ever seen at UBC (and I'm in my 5th year). Anyways, quota was set at 10, and we got 11 . And we've had 2 more additions since sunday, so we are now at 13. I believe only one other sorority at UBC got quota plus one. This year is going to be a good one !!!

[This message has been edited by Siobhan (edited September 26, 2000).]