GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,308
2 members and 2,306 guests
Cookiez17

Old 08-27-2000, 11:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Cool Just a few simple questions... I hope

I just have a few questions about joining a sorority that I haven't read the answers to....
Can I get referred to by my StepDad's sister, can she count as an Aunt? She was a Delta Delta Delta in a completely different state, but is a very active alumni. And I know she would be thrilled if I told her I was interested in joining a sorority.
~Another thing... I need to meet new people, and make new friends, I'll be transferring as a 19 yr old Junior to the University of South Florida in January, and hope to be able to attend RUSH, is that possible for there to be a spring Rush ? How do I find out?
If there is anyone that can help me, I'd appreciate it!! Thank you!!!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-27-2000, 03:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool

Tri-Delta only counts daughters and sisters as Tri-Delt legacies. A step-daughter counts if the step-mother wants it to.

I just finished reading my friend's Trident and they had a little article on it. If your aunt gets the Trident have her check out the last page of the most recent one. That'll give a good explanation of legacies.

A niece definitely doesn't count as a Tri-Delt legacy and neither would a "step-niece".

Like twinstars said, every organization is different about what they consider as a legacy. And I'm sure she can write you a great recommendation!

I checked the Panhellenic Council website at USF for you and this is what it said:
"Panhellenic Council rush is held one week before the start of classes in the Fall."

So it seems that you will have to wait until your senior year to rush since you are transferring in Jan. They might have COB, but that would be hard since at many schools it is by invitation only and you wouldn't have met anyone yet. But, keep your ears open in case anyone can go to COB!

Good luck AmyQ!

here's a link to where I got the quote from. http://ctr.usf.edu/sa/greek.htm
Old 08-28-2000, 12:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation

some sororities will only count a rushee as a legacy if her mother, sister, or grandmother belonged to that sorority (aunts, cousins, etc. wouldn't be enough). i'm not sure what the rules are about step-relatives, but maybe a step-mother or step-sister would count. try looking at tri-delt's national website and maybe that will give you the info you need.

even if your step-aunt isn't enough to make you a legacy, she can definitely help out by writing you a recommendation form. these can be done by any alumna--a friend, teacher, acquaintance, relative, etc. ask her to do this for you, and give her a headshot of yourself to send along with it.

[This message has been edited by twinstars (edited August 27, 2000).]
Old 08-28-2000, 12:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Smile

Thanks for the information!!!! I really appreciate any feed back and tips I can get!
Old 09-10-2000, 05:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool

Hi!!!!
I'm a transfer junior at USF, and I just finished going through fall rush. USF does have spring rush--good/bad points about it:
-there are less girls going through rush, and you don't have to go to EVERY house.
However:-if you thought it was hard to make a choice in a week, depending on the house they will make a decision that night after only an hour of meeting you.
Also, chapters vary from campus to campus, one particluar sorority at my first school is the exact opposite at USF. So, Please visit every house.
-Another issue: spring rush is very laid back, and becuase you are not required to visit every house sometimes you skip the house you would be the best at. Don't be determined to go to a certain house based on the reputation of the sorority at a completely different school, you might be very surprised by what you find.
And, finally trust your heart....if it doesn't feel right don't do it. The only person that you are trying to please is yourself, you're the one that has to hang out with these girls for the next 2 or so many years you have left. If you have anymore questions email me at ctunison62@hotmail.com