GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,439
1 members and 1,438 guests
MSKKG

Old 07-13-2001, 09:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Post Minimum GPA?

I was just wondering about what different schools require as the minimum GPA for girls to go through NPC Rush?

Here at Univ. of West Georiga, the minimum is 2.0 to sign up (and pay) for sorority rush. HOWEVER, it is commonly known that the lowest GPA that all the sororities will accept is a 2.2!! My question is WHY does the Greek Life office allow girls with under a 2.2 to go through rush KNOWING they are going to be cut by nearly every sorority on the first day?!?!?

When I asked the GL advisor that question, I just got some half-a$$ed answer about some sororities having a certain number of "grade risk" bids that they can extend if they really like a girl.

But my thoughts are, when they make the first round of cuts, what are the chances that a girl with a 2.0 GPA has had to really get to know the girls in the sorority to the extent that they want to "grade risk" her?

I think it is totally WRONG for Panhellenic and the GL Office to allow these girls to shell out $75 -$100 bucks for rush when there is almost NO CHANCE of them getting a bid!!!

Any thoughts??
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-13-2001, 10:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to LeslieAGD
Pike4Life, I agree with you and think there should be some kind of disclaimer or something before girls sign up. However, girls with lower GPAs can still see which houses they like so that when they get their grades up they can open rush or something...BUT, some schools have rules that if they dropped you they can never offer you a bid and the girls probably don't know that.

I hope that made sense.
Old 07-13-2001, 11:52 AM

Send a message via AIM to Sue_XO Send a message via Yahoo to Sue_XO
Everything is not set in stone- websites and literature can give you an overview of general expectations but remember you are dealing with people just like you and emotions can play a strong role too! Our required gpa was a 3.0 but many girls came thru with a 2.8 who we just loved and gave them a bid. Sure, they knew they were a grade risk and to accept the bid- they knew they had to make that 3.0 the first semester or we had to let them go. But in my four years- one girl out of 4 years was let go for not making grades. So- the winning odds were with our emotions, not what was written down on paper.

P.S.- I watched the full, uncut version of Animal House last night for the first time-so I will be on a soap box today and extrememly pro-greek!!! That movie is too funny!!
Old 07-13-2001, 06:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Sue-, I not only watched it, I retaped it as mine was burned up from use!
Yepper I can relate to it big time in some ways!!!!

------------------
Tom Earp LX Z#1
Pittsburg State U. (Kansas)
Old 07-13-2001, 10:44 PM

Send a message via AIM to Sue_XO Send a message via Yahoo to Sue_XO
Tom- thankyou for makin my day! So many people would view it as anti-greek but I just felt so much love for those guys!!! And let me tell you- the uncut version shows soooo much more!!! Rent it!

Old 07-13-2001, 11:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to HeidiHo
Just for the record, it isn't always that much money to go through recruitment. Last fall, I only had to pay $10. Keep in mind that I am from the north. The fee to sign up is something potential new members should check out before saying that it's too much. It varies, just like most othr things.
Heidi
Old 07-13-2001, 11:31 PM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
Unfortunately, Greek Advisors don't check all of the numbers by the first day of rush. I know that some places allow girls to go through the first day, then check grades and go for the cutting. Personally, I think it's crap. Check everyone before they go through to make sure they meet campus standards. If the campus does that, then the women should know where they stand campus wise and ask when they go to the first round of parties about certain sororities. Our minimum is a 2.25, and if a girl doesn't meet this standard, she doesn't get a bid. And we tell them that, up front!
Old 07-14-2001, 01:07 PM

Tom & Sue - YEAH!! Animal House is my fave movie ever, and once you see it uncut you just can't go back. I am so glad I have Encore!

Pike4Life - I agree, that is a total ripoff! It gets the girls' hopes up and also doesn't do a heck of a lot to back up our claims of higher academic achievement. We sometimes had girls go through who didn't have the grades (and they knew this themselves), but they weren't plunking down a nice crisp "benjamin" to do it either. They were usually going through rush to meet the girls and get a better idea before they went for it (going through rush more than once was quite common at my school.) But like I said, there wasn't a humungous fee. That just sounds like a total fraud to me.
Old 07-25-2001, 09:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Smile

Dixie--
You didn't indicate an organization or a school, so I have to include a disclaimer that I am speaking in general terms.

Legacies hold a lot of weight in a lot of organizations. The first reason is that they respect your mother as a sister, and you are obviously very dear to her. The second reason is that obviously you will be able to fulfill your commitments to the organization more easily if you have your mother's full support.

You need to be sure that your mother writes a letter of introduction to the chapter, and includes a photo. She should also brag as much as possible about all your extra-curriculars and what a wonderful girl you are.

If you know any other women in the alumni chapter, ask them to write you letters as well. These should also brag about you, and mention what an asset you would be to that chapter.

High school GPA requirements are usually more of a guideline than a strict rule. After all, how can a chapter compare different women from different high schools based solely on GPA?

I wouldn't be shy about mentioning that you are a legacy when you go through rush. Talk about how exciting it would be to join your mother's sorority. Don't flaunt it constantly, but mention it when it seems appropriate.

Above all, relax! Don't go into rush tense and worried, or your wonderful self won't be able to shine through.
Old 07-25-2001, 09:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Here at Longwood College, the minimum is 2.2 college GPA (high school GPA is irrelevant since first-semester freshman cannot go through recruitment here). We also only pay like $20 to go through, at least that's what I paid.
Old 07-26-2001, 02:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
No! It is not too pushy at all. Believe me, the chapter wants as much info as they can get. It is great when someone comes highly recommended, because then the chapter is able to match her up with an appropriate sister.