GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,454
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, nathnpetrovo648
» Online Users: 1,541
2 members and 1,539 guests
nathnpetrovo648, Xidelt

Old 08-10-2005, 05:37 PM

Pixell,

That's interesting. I have a sister with social anxiety, and she too says that it's not particularly affected by sorority events. She was a bit concerned about recruitment, since she'd joined through COR. So what we did was give her the option to take a break whenever she felt like was getting anxious. She also started taking some meds to help. Recruitment worked out well for her, and I honestly don't think she took a break once.

Lakers Nation.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-10-2005, 09:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PhoenixAzul
ARG! That's another thing involving rush. Please, for the love of god, consider that some rushees may be diabetic! (this one is!). And it's really hard to refuse someone's hospitality, especially in a rush situation..."no, sorry I don't want your food because I just ate and took a shot." eehh. So I guess what I'm saying is have low sugar stuff, and take it easy on the candy.

I mentally cut all the sororities that didn't even have diet pop at their novelty..shallow I know, but having to walk half way around the world for a glass of water and not being able to eat a single thing all day really sucked.

and things like, "eww! I could never give myself shots!" and "You must be a really bad diabetic" (after seeing my insulin pump) are not exactly tactful or nice.
You know... part of the reason I chose my sorority is because they FEED you during recruitment. I mean it's junk sometimes, but still. During fall formal recruitment, one of the PNMs told me they barely got sandwiches.

But yeah... I still get the "So are you a bad diabetic?" or "Why aren't you fat?" (I'm pretty petite.) It's annoying. But if anything, I left a legacy that there ALWAYS must be diet something at every single event... regardless if only one person drinks it.
Old 08-10-2005, 10:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Last weekend I had someone ask me about my insulin pump. I wear it attached to my bra so most people never notice. My tubing was sticking out the top of my shirt and this lady I know asked me about it. I told her what it is and what it does. She then asked "Why don't you just take pills?" I told her that my body does not produce insulin and if I "just take pills" I would die within a month.

Oh another time I was checking this man out at Old Navy and he said to the woman behind him (not someone he knows mind you) and loud enough so I could hear "Look she had that thing in her bra to make her boobs look bigger" It pissed me off that he would be so vulgar with someone he doesn't know. So I told him what it was. He didn't apologize, just repeated "Oh I thought it was that thing you put in your bra to make your boobs look bigger"

Whatever
Old 08-11-2005, 01:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lilsunshine214
What about girls who are claustrophobic or have a fear of big crowds?
At that point I think you need to suck it up...if you want to rush, that's something you have to deal with. I am terrified of large groups of people, and I've made it through recruitments just fine.
Old 08-11-2005, 01:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lilsunshine214
What about girls who are claustrophobic or have a fear of big crowds?
As an aside, I've heard that the percentage of people who are actually claustrophobic is much much smaller than the number who claim that they are. I'm not sure of the exact numbers, I'll try to see if I can find anything online.