GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,495
0 members and 1,495 guests
No Members online

Old 07-13-2018, 05:03 PM
GreekChat Member

PNM Advise from a Sorority Member

An article from the Kappa Delta Angelos. Obviously, she joined KD, but her story is advise for all PNM's about keeping an open mind.

Dear Potential New Member,

Coming into recruitment as a freshman two years ago, I was pretty familiar with the process. Many women from my high school were in sororities at the University of Texas, and my mom also joined a sorority while at UT. I knew I wanted to be part of a sisterhood, but didn’t know exactly what I was getting myself into.

Throughout recruitment week, I forced myself to keep an open mind and look for the right fit for me. This was hard to do sometimes since I lived at Hardin House –– a place where almost every resident joins Greek life

Recruitment week was a bit overwhelming for me. I think of myself as a simple woman, and the loud door chants and hundreds of eyes on me stressed me out. I tried to keep from getting distracted by the theatrics and really concentrate on the connections and conversations I had in each house.

The connections and conversations I had at Kappa Delta stood out far beyond the rest.

I did not know a single person in KD, so my first impression of the sorority was that it was awesome because it was only a block away from where I lived. It rained the entire week of recruitment, so I was excited I didn’t have to walk far in the rain. (And it rained last year too, so bring an umbrella!)

During Open House, I talked to XXX, who is now my sorority big sister. Can you believe that? The FIRST person I talked to in this house turned out to be my big. The conversation flowed naturally, and Jenna seemed genuinely interested in me as a person. We didn’t just talk about where I was from and what my major was. We talked about the food trucks in Austin and so much more.

During the next two rounds of recruitment, I got some of the best advice I had ever gotten. I talked to a Kappa Delta senior at the time who did not tell me that KD is the greatest, but urged me to look for a sorority that made me feel comfortable and welcomed me for who I am. She told me that I shouldn’t let my high school friends influence my decision and that college is the time to put myself out there.

Throughout the rest of the week, I found that the women I met at KD seemed more genuine than the rest. They were interested in me, my growth and the goals I have for my future. They were giving me unbiased and genuine advice. They made me feel like KD would push me to be involved, reach my goals and support me along the way.

So, I decided to take a leap. On Preference Night, I had to make a decision between joining KD and joining the sorority my mom was in. That night at KD, the women sang us a song and I cried. Yes, CRIED. Tears were coming down my face and I am NOT a crier. I felt ridiculous, but I took that as a sign.

On Bid Day, I was overjoyed to be offered membership into KD. I ran to the house to be greeted by the three women I talked to during recruitment. I looked around at all the unfamiliar faces, but I was thrilled to see all the open arms.

I decided to join KD even though I didn’t know a single person in the chapter because I felt loved and welcomed for who I was and who I wanted to be. I had a feeling these women would accept me for who I was and urge me to be a better person. And, I was right.

So, I advise you to put yourself out there. That’s what college is all about. Find YOUR new home where you feel most loved, and don’t just join the sorority that is familiar or the one your friends are choosing.

I never once regretted my decision to join KD. I found a new family and joined an organization with women who value academics, involvement and sisterhood as much as I do.

Oh, and we also have a VERY comfortable TV room couch.
Old 07-14-2018, 05:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Congratulations on finding your home with Kappa Delta! I recall meeting the woman who would be my big sister on the first day of rush. Hope that you enjoy your years as a collegiate member of your KD chapter at UT Austin.
Old 07-15-2018, 11:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
Congratulations on finding your home with Kappa Delta! I recall meeting the woman who would be my big sister on the first day of rush. Hope that you enjoy your years as a collegiate member of your KD chapter at UT Austin.
TLLK, I just posted the article from out quarterly magazine. I am a VERY long time KD who is still very active. My big sister was the Panhellenic Rush Chair when I went through. She and I first met when I was moving into the dorm the school opened just for rushees. For some reason she took an instant liking to me (the girl with zero self confidence) and by pure luck I joined her sorority.

DaffyKD